Formation of nickel carbide in the course of deformation treatment of Ni-C mixtures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nonequilibrium Ni(C) solid solutions supersaturated with carbon to 10.2 at % were synthesized by mechanochemical method. An analysis of diffraction patterns showed that the formation of Ni(C) solid solutions is accompanied by an increase in the probability of appearance of deformation stacking faults. When the carbon content in the initial Ni-C mixtures is above 20 at %, the fcc Ni(C) solid solution resulting from the mechanical synthesis transforms into the metastable Ni3C nickel carbide with a hexagonal structure. The thermal stability of nonequilibrium Ni(C) solid solutions was determined. The solid solutions formed from the mixtures with carbon contents from 7 to 15 at % undergo partial decomposition accompanied by the carbide precipitation upon heating to 300°C. The decomposition of the metastable Ni3C carbide starts at a temperature T s ~ 464.8°C; the thermal effect is —ΔH=10–13 kJ/mol. The effective radius of carbon atoms in the Ni(C) solid solutions was determined; it is equal to Rc eff=0.061 nm.
- R. P. Struis, D. Bachelin, C. Ludwig, and A. Wokaun, “Studying the Formation of Ni3C from CO and Metallic Ni at T = 265°C in situ Using Ni K-Edge X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy,” J. Phys. Chem. C 113(6), 2443–2451 (2009). CrossRef
- O. M. Gur’yanova, E. F. Kukovitskii, S. G. L’vov, et al., “Electron Diffraction Investigation of Catalytic Particles at the Tips of Carbon Nanotubes,” Fiz. Tverd. Tela 44(3), 455–456 (2002) [Phys. Sol. St. 44 (3), 473–475 (2002)].
- C. Borchers, P. Ricardo, and C. Michaelsen, “Interfacial Wetting and Percolation Threshold in Ultrathin Ni/C Multilayer Films,” Philos. Mag. A 80(7), 1669–1679 (2000). CrossRef
- Z. Krawietr, B. Wehner, T. Sebald, and R. Dietsch, “Investigation of Thermal Aging of Ni/C-Multilayers by X-ray Methods,” Mater. Sci. Forum 166–169, 1247–1253 (1994).
- S. Sinharo and L. L. Levenson, “Formation and Decomposition of Nickel Carbide in Evaporated Nickel Films on Graphite,” Thin Solid Films 53(1), 31–36 (1978). CrossRef
- L. Diandra, X. Q. Leslie-Pelecky, S. H. Zhang, et al., “Structural Properties of Chemically Synthesized Nanostructured Ni and Ni: Ni3C Nanocomposites,” Chem. Mater. 10, 164–171 (1998). CrossRef
- S. I. Ryabtsev, V. F. Bashev, A. I. Belkin, and A. S. Ryabtsev, “Structure and Properties of Ion-Plasma Deposited Ni-C Films in a Metastable State,” Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 102(3), 326–329 (2006) [Phys. Met. Metallogr. 102 (3), 305–309 (2006)].
- T. Tanaka, K. N. Ishihara, and P. Shingu, “The Formation of Metastable Phases of Ni-C and Co-C Systems by Mechanical Alloying,” Metall. Trans. A 23, 2431–2435 (1992). CrossRef
- Phase Diagrams of Binary Metal Systems: A Handbook Ed. by N. P. Lyakishev (Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1997) [in Russian].
- T. P. Ershova, D. S. Kamenetskaya, and L. D. Il’ina, “Calculation of a T-P-N Phase Diagram of the Ni-C System up to 100 kbar,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Met., No. 4, 201–210 (1981).
- S. R. Nishitani, K. N. Ishihara, R. O. Suzuki, and P. H. Shingu, “Metastable Solid Solubility Limit of Carbon in the Ni-C System,” J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 4, 872–875 (1985). CrossRef
- S. Nagakura, “Study of Metallic Carbides by Electron Diffraction. Part II. Crystal Structure Analysis of Nickel Carbide,” J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 13, 1005–1014 (1958). CrossRef
- H. J. Goldschmidt Interstitial Alloys (Butterworths, London, 1967; Mir, Moscow, 1971).
- K. Tokumitsu, K. Majima, and R. Yamamoto, “Transformation of Fe-C System to High Pressured Hexagonal Structures by Mechanical Alloying of Elemental Powders,” Solid State Ionics 172, 211–214 (2004). CrossRef
- K. Tokumitsu, “Synthesis of Metastable Fe3C, Co3C and Ni3C by Mechanical Alloying Method,” Mater. Sci. Forum 235–238, 127–132 (1997). CrossRef
- S. S. Gorelik, Yu. A. Skakov, and L. N. Rastorguev, X-ray Diffraction and Electron-Microscopic Analysis (MISIS, Moscow, 2002) [in Russian].
- E. V. Shelehov and T. A. Sviridova, “Calculation of Diffraction Patterns of Close-Packed Polytypes with Random Shearing Stacking Faults,” Mater. Sci. Forum 321–324, 97–102 (2000). CrossRef
- JCPDS (Joint Committee on Powder Diffraction Standards) 4-0850.
- R. Ruhl and M. Cohen, “Metastable Extensions of Carbon Solubility in Nickel and Cobalt,” Scr. Metall. 1, 73 (1967). CrossRef
- C. Ruth and M. Turpin, “Determination of Eutectic Composition of Binary Alloys of Nickel-Carbon and Cobalt-Carbon,” C. R. Acad. Sci. 264, 928–929 (1967).
- Ya. D. Vishnyakov, Stacking Faults in Crystal Structures (Metallurgiya, Moscow, 1970) [in Russian].
- Formation of nickel carbide in the course of deformation treatment of Ni-C mixtures
The Physics of Metals and Metallography
Volume 109, Issue 2 , pp 153-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- mechanochemical synthesis
- mechanical alloying
- nickel carbide
- stacking faults
- Industry Sectors