Comparative study of substrate and inhibitory specificity of monoamine oxidase of squid optic ganglia
- O. V. Yagodina
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Comparative study of substrate specificity of monoamine oxidase (MAO) of optic ganglia of the Pacific squid Todarodes pacificus and the Commander squid Berryteuthis magister has been carried out. The enzyme of the Pacific squid, unlike that of the Commander squid, has been established to be able to deaminate not only tyramine, tryptamine, serotonin, benzylamine, and β-phenylethylamine, but also histamine-substrate of diamine oxidase (DAO). In relation to all studied substrates, the MAO activity of optic ganglia of T. pacificus is several times higher as compared with that of B. magister. In the case of deamination of serotonin this difference was the highest and amounted to 5 times. Semicarbazide, the classic DAO inhibitor, at a concentration of 10 mM did not inhibit catalytic activity of both studied enzymes. The substrate-inhibitory analysis with use of deprenyl and clorgyline, specific inhibitors of different MAO forms, indicates homogeneity of the enzyme of the Pacific squid and heterogeneity of the Commander squid enzyme whose composition seems to contain at least two MAO forms. There are obtained quantitative differences in substrate specificity and reaction capability with respect to the inhibitors clorgylin and deprenyl for MAO of optic ganglia of the studied squid species. These differences probably can be explained by significant differences in the evolutionary level of these biological species.
- Gorkin, V.Z., Aminooksidazy i ikh znachenie v meditsine (Aminoxidases and Their Significance in Medicine), Moscow, 1981.
- Nesis, K.N., Okeanicheskie golovonogie mollyuski. Rasprostranenie, zhisnennye formy, evolyutsiya (Oceanic Cephalopod Molluscs. Distribution, Life Forms, Evolution), Moscow, 1985.
- Brestkin, A.P., Kuznetsova, L.P., Moralev, S.N., Rozengart, E.V., and Epshtein, L.M., Kholinesterazy nazemnykh zhivotnykh i gidrobiontov (Cholinesterases of Terrestrial Animals and Hydrobionts), Vladivostok, 1997.
- Blaschko, H., Hawkins, J. (1952) Observations on Amine Oxidase in Cephalopods. J. Physiol. (London) 118: pp. 88-93
- Blaschko, H., Hope, D.B. (1957) Observations on the Distribution of Amine Oxidase in Invertebrates. Arch. Biochem. 69: pp. 10-15 CrossRef
- Blaschko, H. (1974) The Natural History of Amine Oxidases. Rev. Physiol. Biochem. Pharmacol. 70: pp. 83-148 CrossRef
- Bertaccini, G., Discussion Remark, Regional Neurochemistry, Kety, S.S. and Elkes, J., Eds., Oxford; London; New York; Paris, 1961, pp. 305–306.
- Boadle, M.C. (1969) Observations on Histaminase of Invertebrate Origin: a Contribution to the Study of Cephalopod Amine Oxidases. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 30: pp. 611-620 CrossRef
- Blaschko, H., Himms, J.M. (1954) Enzymic Oxidation in Decapods. J. Exp. Biol. 31: pp. 1-7
- Youdim, M.B.H., Feldman, S.C., Pappas, G.D., Pollard, H.B. (1986) Serotonin Metabolism and the Nature of Monoamine Oxidase in Squid Central Nervous System. Brain Res. 381: pp. 300-304 CrossRef
- Antipov, A.D., Kostkin, V.B., Rozengart, E.V., Epshtein, L.M. (1996) Comparative Analysis of Activity of Monoamine Oxidase in Tissues of the Abyssal Squid and the Mouse under Conditions of Normal and a Increased Pressure of Environment. Zh. Evol. Biokhim. Fiziol. 32: pp. 233-239
- Severina, I.S. (1979) About the Possible Mechanism of Selective Inhibition by Clorgylin and Deprenyl of Activity of Liver Mitochondrial Monoamine Oxidase of Rats. Biokhimiya 44: pp. 195-204
- Cornish-Bowden, E., Osnovy fermentativnoi kinetiki (Grounds of Enzymatic Kinetics), Moscow, 1979.
- Rozengart, E.V. (1996) Reactivity of Cholinesterases of Commander Squid Berryteuthis magister. Substrates and Organophosphorus Inhibitors. Zh. Evol. Biokhim. Fiziol. 32: pp. 576-583
- Yagodina, O.V., Basova, N.E. (2001) Comparative Study of Catalytic Properties of Monoamine Oxidase of Liver of Squid Todarodes pacificus and of Liver of Wistar Rat. Zh. Evol. Biokhim. Fiziol. 37: pp. 175-179
- Yagodina, O.V. (2009) Catalytic Property of Monoamine Oxidases in Liver of Commander Squid Berryteuthis magister from Different Regions of Habitation. Zh. Evol. Biokhim. Fiziol. 45: pp. 385-390
- Moralev, S.N. and Rozengart, E.V., Comparative Enzymology of Cholinesterases, Intern. Univ. Lines, Biotechnology Series, no. 6, La Jolla (CA), 2007.
- Shatemirova, K.K., Verevkina, I.V., Gorkin, V.Z. (1977) About Inhibition Activities of Monoamine Oxidases of A and B Types by 2-Propyilamine Derivatives. Vopr. Med. Khim. 23: pp. 220-226
- Moskvitina, T.A., Kuchina, N.E., Gorkin, V.Z. (1982) Kinetic Properties of Multiple Forms of Bovine Brain Monoamine Oxidase. Vopr. Med. Khim. 28: pp. 127-131
- Gorkin, V.Z., Tat’yanenko, L.V., Moskvitina, T.A. (1968) Transformation in vitro of Monoamine Oxidase into the Enzyme Similar to Diamine Oxidase. Biokhimiya 33: pp. 393-402
- Nesis, K.N. (1977) Vertical Distribution of Pelagic Molluscs. Zh. Obshch. Biol. 38: pp. 547-558
- Gorkin, V.Z. (1976) Transformation of Enzymes. Mol. Biol. 10: pp. 717-735
- Comparative study of substrate and inhibitory specificity of monoamine oxidase of squid optic ganglia
Journal of Evolutionary Biochemistry and Physiology
Volume 46, Issue 3 , pp 227-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- monoamine oxidase
- O. V. Yagodina (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia