Mantle(?) xenoliths in the carbonatites of northern Transbaikalia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The composition and nature of high-Cr minerals in lithic clasts from the carbonatites of the Veseloe occurrence, northern Transbaikalia, were considered. In order to determine their source, the Cr-bearing phases were compared with chromite, magnetite, and rutile from ultrabasic rocks, mantle xenoliths, and eclogites. It was suggested that the xenoclasts studied were formed at great depths, whereas the carbonatites were directly derived from the mantle rather than formed by the crustal differentiation of a silicate-carbonate melt.
- A. Goto and H. Fujimaki, and T. Morikiyo, “Geochemical and Lithological Characteristics of Badou Carbonatite Pipe, Shandong China,” in Proceedings of 13th Goldschmidt Conference, Kurashiki, Japan, 2003 Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta. 67, 124 (2003).
- Woolley, A. R., Church, A. A. (2005) Extrusive Carbonatites: A Brief Review. Lithos. 84: pp. 1-14 CrossRef
- Bagdasarov, Yu. A. (1982) Geochemical Features of Magnetites from Carbonatites and Other Rocks of the Chernigov Zone, Azov Area. Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 252: pp. 208-212
- Yu. A. Bagdasarov, “Chromium Geochemistry in the Rocks of the Carbonatite Complexes,” Geol. Rudn. Mestorozhd., No. 6, 85–89 (1981).
- G. S. Ripp, M. V. Badmatsyrenov, A. G. Doroshkeyich, and I. A. Isbrodin, “Mineral Composition and Geochemical Characteristic of the Veseloe Carbonatites (Northern Transbaikalia, Russia),” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Deep-Seated Magmatism, Its Sources and Their Relation to Plume Processes, Irkutsk-Ulan Ude, Russia, 2004, (Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude, 2004), pp. 257–273.
- Ripp, G. S., Badmatsyrenov, M. V., Doroshkevich, A. G., Izbrodin, I. A. (2005) New Carbonatite-Bearing Area in Northern Transbaikalia. Petrologiya 13: pp. 538-547
- Woolley, A. R., Kemp, R. C. (1989) Carbonatites: Nomenclature, Average Chemical Composition, and Element Distribution. Carbonatites: Genesis and Evolution. Unwin Hyman, London, pp. 1-14
- I. D. Ryabchikov, G. Brey, L. N. Kogarko, and V. K. Bulatov, “Partial Melting of Carbonated Peridotite at 50 kbar,” Geokhimiya, No. 1, 3–9 (1989).
- Ryabchikov, I. D. (1987) Processes of Mantle Magma Formation. Evolution of Magmatism in the Earth History. Nauka, Moscow, pp. 349-371
- L. N. Kogarko, G. Kurat, and T. Ntaflos, “Carbonate Metasomatism of the Oceanic Mantle beneath Fernando de Noronha, Brazil,” in Proceedings of Conference on Deep-Seated Magmatism, Its Sources and Their Relation to Plume Processes, Irkutsk-Ulan-Ude, Russia, 2004, (Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude, 2004), pp. 29–47 [in Russian].
- Harmer, R. E., Gittins, J. (1997) The Origin of Dolomitic Carbonatites: Field and Experimental Constraints. J. Afr. Earth Sci. 25: pp. 5-28 CrossRef
- Bailey, D. K. (1989) Carbonate Melt from the Mantle in the Volcanoes of South-East Zambia. Nature 338: pp. 415-418 CrossRef
- Wooley, A. R. (2003) Igneous Silicate Rocks Associated Carbonatites: Their Diversity, Relative Abundances and Implications for Carbonatite Genesis. Period. Mineral. 72: pp. 9-17
- Wooley, A. R., Barr, W. C., Din, V. K. (1991) Extrusive Carbonatites from the Uyaynah Area, United Arab Emirates. J. Petrol. 32: pp. 1143-1167
- Neumann, E. R., Wulff-Pedersen, E., Pearson, N. J., Spenser, E. A. (2002) Mantle Xenoliths from Tenerife (Canary Islands): Evidence for Reactions between Mantle Peridotites and Silicic Carbonatite Melts Including Ca Metasomatism. J. Petrol. 43: pp. 825-857 CrossRef
- Jones, A. P., Kostoula, T., Stoppa, F., Woolley, A. R. (2000) Petrography and Mineral Chemistry of Mantle Xenoliths in a Carbonate-Rich Melilitic Tuff from Mt. Vulture Volcano, Southern Italy. Mineral. Mag. 64: pp. 593-613 CrossRef
- Mourtada, S., Bas, M. J., Pin, C. (1997) Petrogenese des magmes carbonatites du complexe de Tamazert (Haut Atlas marocain). Earth Planet. Sci. 325: pp. 559-564
- Bagdasarov, Yu. A., Ilunin, I. P. (1986) Coexisting Ilmenites and Ti-Magnetites of Kimberlite Groundmass. Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 290: pp. 945-948
- Haggerty, S. E. Metasomatic Mineral Titanates in Upper Mantle Xenoliths. In: Nixon, P. H. eds. (1987) Mantle xenoliths. Wiley, Chichester, pp. 670-691
- Haggerty, S. E. (1991) Oxide Mineralogy of the Upper Mantle. Oxide Minerals: Petrologic and Magnetic Significance Mineral. Soc. Am. Rev. Mineral. 25: pp. 355-416
- N. V. Sobolev, Yu. G. Lavrent’ev, and L. V. Usov, “On Trace Elements in Rutile from Eclogites,” Geol. Geofiz., No. 11, 108–112 (1972).
- Mantle(?) xenoliths in the carbonatites of northern Transbaikalia
Volume 45, Issue 6 , pp 538-545
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links