Complex modeling of melting of an aluminum nanoparticle
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A semi-empirical model of molecular dynamics is proposed within the molecular dynamics approach. The model is verified against the experimental dependence of the melting temperature of aluminum nanoparticles on their size. The specific heat of the particle and the phase transition heat are determined as functions of the initial size and temperature of the particle. It is demonstrated that these dependences tend to the limiting dependences, which describe the particle size in the volume phase, as the particle size increases. A comparison of the aluminum nanoparticle melting characteristics calculated by the model of molecular dynamics and by the phenomenological model reveals reasonable agreement in terms of the melting time.
- A. V. Fedorov and A. V. Shulgin, “Mathematical Modeling of Melting of Nano-Sized Metal Particles,” Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 47(2), 23–29 (2011) [Combust., Expl., Shock Waves 47 (2), 147–152 (2011)].
- A. V. Fedorov and A. V. Shulgin, “Mathematical Modeling of Melting and Combustion of Metal Nanoparticles,” in Problems and Achievements of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics: Devoted to the 70th Anniversary of Academician V. M. Fomin, Collected Scientific Papers (Parallel, Novosibirsk, 2010) [in Russian], pp. 586–600.
- A. V. Fedorov, V. M. Fomin, and A. V. Shulgin, “Physicomathematical Modeling of Combustion of Aluminum Nanoparticles near the End Face of a Shock Tube,” Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk 432(5), 616–619 (2010).
- A. V. Fedorov and A. V. Shulgin, “Point Model of Combustion of Aluminum Nanoparticles,” Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 47(3), 47–51 (2011) [Combust., Expl., Shock Waves 47 (3), 280–288 (2011)].
- P. Puri and V. Yang, “Effect of Particle Size on Melting of Aluminum at Nano Scales,” J. Phys. Chem. C 111(32), 11776–11783 (2007). CrossRef
- H. C. Andersen, “Molecular Dynamics Simulations at Constant Pressure and/or Temperature,” J. Chem. Phys. 72(4), 2384–2393 (1980). CrossRef
- D. C. Rapaport, The Art of Molecular Dynamics Simulation (Cambridge Univ. Press, 2004). CrossRef
- M. P. Allen and D. J. Tildesley, Computer Simulation of Liquids (Oxford University Press, 1991).
- F. Ercolessi, “A Molecular Dynamics Primer,” in Int. School for Advanced Studies (SISSA-ISAS) (Trieste, Italy, 1997).
- F. Ercolessi and J. B. Adams, “Interatomic Potentials from First-Principles Calculations: The Force-Matching Method,” Europhys. Lett. 26(8), 583–588 (1994). CrossRef
- M. S. Daw and M. I. Baskes, “Embedded-AtomMethod: Derivation and Application to Impurities and Other Defects in Metals,” Phys. Rev. B 29(12), 6443–6453 (1984). CrossRef
- S. M. Foiles, M. I. Baskes, and M. S. Daw, “Embedded-Atom-Method Functions for the FCC Metals Cu, Ag, Au, Ni, Pd, Pt, and Their Alloys,” Phys. Rev. B 33(12), 7983–7991 (1986). CrossRef
- M. W. Finnis and J. E. Sinclair, “A Simple Empirical N-Body Potential for Transition Metals,” Philos. Mag. A 50(1), 45–55 (1984). CrossRef
- A. P. Sutton and J. Chen, “Long-Range Finnis-Sinclair Potentials,” Philos. Mag. Lett. 61(1), 139–164 (1990). CrossRef
- F. H. Streitz and J. W. Mintmire, “Electrostatic Potentials for Metal-Oxide Surfaces and Interfaces,” Phys. Rev. B 50(16), 11996–12003 (1994). CrossRef
- J. D. Gezelter, E. Rabani, and B. J. Berne, “Can Imaginary Instantaneous Normal Mode Frequencies Predict Barriers to Self-Diffusion?” J. Chem. Phys. 107(12), 4618–4627 (1997). CrossRef
- S. L. Lai, J. R. A. Carlsson, and L. H. Allen, “Melting Point Depression of Al Clusters Generated during the Early Stages of Film Growth: Nanocalorimetry Measurements,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 72(9), 1098–1100 (1998). CrossRef
- A. P. Babichev et al., Physical Quantities: Reference Book (Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 1991) [in Russian].
- V. N. Likhachev, T. Yu. Astakhova, G. A. Vinogradov, and M. I. Alymov, “Anomalous Specific Heat of Nanoparticles,” Khim. Fiz. 26(1), 89–93 (2007).
- M. Forsblom and G. Grimvall, “Anharmonic Effects in the Heat Capacity of Al,” Phys. Rev. B 69, 165106 (2004). CrossRef
- Complex modeling of melting of an aluminum nanoparticle
Combustion, Explosion, and Shock Waves
Volume 49, Issue 4 , pp 442-449
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- molecular dynamics
- specific heat
- Industry Sectors