Nonlinear interaction of internal waves in the coastal zone of the Sea of Japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nonlinear interactions of the internal waves of a tidal period with low-frequency synoptic-scale internal waves are studied using instrumental measurements of the current in the coastal zone of the Sea of Japan. In the course of spectral analysis of the data of instrumental measurements, it is found that a maximum in the spectrum of the kinetic energy of coastal waters in the vicinity of the semidiurnal frequency ω0 is surrounded by satellite maxima whose frequencies obey the relation ω s = ω0 ± Ω, where Ω is the characteristic frequency of synoptic-scale internal waves. The spectrum of the anticyclonic current component has a similar structure in the vicinities of the frequency ω0 and its first and second harmonics. The general theory of nonlinear interactions of weakly dispersive waves is used to solve the problem of modulation and the parametric amplification of tidal internal waves in the coastal zone using low-frequency narrow-band internal waviness. As can be judged from the literature, the effect of parametric modulation of tidal internal waves by low-frequency synoptic-scale internal waves has been recorded in the coastal zone of a tidal sea for the first time.
- K. R. Helfrich and W. K. Melville, “Long Nonlinear Internal Waves,” Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 38, 95–425 (2006). CrossRef
- P. E. Holloway, E. Pelinovsky, and T. Talipova, “A Generalized Korteweg-de Vries Model of Internal Tide Transformation in the Coastal Zone,” J. Geophys. Res. C 104, 18 333–18 350 (1999).
- S. L. Marple, Jr., Digital Spectral Analysis with Applications (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Clifs, 1987; Mir, Moscow, 1990).
- Ya. P. Dragan, V. A. Rozhkov, and I. N. Yavorskii, Methods of Probabilistic Analysis of the Rhythms of Oceanological Processes (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1987) [in Russian].
- W. J. Emery and R. E. Thomson, Data Analysis Methods in Physical Oceanography (Pergamon, New York, 1997).
- V. V. Novotryasov, N. S. Vanin, and A. A. Karnaukhov, “Manifestation of Nonlinear Properties of internal Kelvin waves in the Coastal Zone of the Sea of Japan,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 41, 673–681(2005) [Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 41, 611–619 (2005)].
- V. V. Novotryasov and N. S. Vanin, “Low-Frequency Internal Waves in the Coastal Zone of the Sea of Japan,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 38, 557–565 (2002) [Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 38, 495–502 (2002)].
- A. Filonov and V. Novotryasov, “Features of the Nonlinear Internal Wave Spectrum in the Coastal Zone,” Geophys. Rev. Lett. 32, doi: 10.1029/2005GL023046, L15602 (2005). CrossRef
- A. Filonov and V. Novotraysov, “On a Spectrum of Nonlinear Internal Waves in the Oceanic Coastal Zone,” Nonlin. Processes Geophys. 14, 757–762 (2007). CrossRef
- G. V. Reznik and R. Grimshaw, “Nonlinear Geostrophic Adjustment in the Presence of a Boundary,” J. Fluid Mech. 471, 257–283 (2002). CrossRef
- P. Le Blond and L. M. Mysak, Waves in the Ocean (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1978; Mir, Moscow, 1981), Vols. I, II.
- N. M. Ryskin and D. I. Trubetskov, Nonlinear Waves (Nauka, Moscow, 2000) [in Russian].
- S. N. Gurbatov, A. N. Malakhov, and A. I. Saichev, Nonlinear Random Waves in Nondispersive Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1990).
- Acoustics in Problems, Ed. by S. N. Gurbatov and O. V. Rudenko (Nauka, Moscow, 1996) [in Russian].
- Nonlinear interaction of internal waves in the coastal zone of the Sea of Japan
Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics
Volume 45, Issue 2 , pp 262-270
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links