Mathematical modeling of laser sublimation cutting
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The mathematical modeling of the laser cutting of steel plates is considered here by implementing the model proposed by Niziev and Nesterov, as formulated in . The 3D-cutting front is described, according to this model, by a highly nonlinear partial differential equation. A number of simplifying assumptions can be formulated, however, so that this complex equation can be handled more easily. This enables us to concentrate on the physics of the model, rather than having to struggle with its mathematical manipulations. This simple model confirms in a capturing way the conjecture originally launched in  that cutting speed can be increased with a factor of about 1.5 to 2 by switching over from circular to radial polarization. As a further consequence, the model predicts that a similar improvement is also found regarding the plate thickness at a constant cutting speed.
- V. Niziev and A. Nesterov, “Influence of Beam Polarization on Laser Cutting Efficiency”, J. Phys. D 32, 1455–1461 (1999). CrossRef
- A. Kaplan, Theoretical Analysis of Laser Cutting, (Shaker, Aachen, 2002).
- C. Mas, PhD Thesis (Univ. Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, 2003).
- T. Moser, J. Balmer, D. Delbeke, and P. Muys, “Intracavity Generation of Radially Polarized CO2 Laser Beam Based on a Simple Binary Dielectric Diffraction Grating,” Appl. Opt. 45, 8517 (2006). CrossRef
- M. Abdou Ahmed, J. Schultz, A. Voss, et al., “Radially Polarized 3 kW Beam from a CO2 Laser with an Intracavity Resonant Grating Mirror,” Opt. Lett. 32, 1824 (2007). CrossRef
- I. Sneddon, Elements of Partial Differential Equations (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1957).
- R. Courant and D. Hilbert, Methods of Mathematical Physics (Interscience, New York, 1966), Vol. 2.
- H. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger, Conduction of Heat in Solids, 2nd ed. (Clarendon, Oxford, 1959; Nauka, Moscow, 1964).
- Mathematical modeling of laser sublimation cutting
Volume 18, Issue 4 , pp 495-499
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors