Bulk Fe-TiC-Fe3C nanocomposites formed by mechanical alloying in liquid organic media and by magnetic pulse compaction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bulk Fe-TiC-Fe3C nanocomposites were fabricated by compaction of powders which were prepared by mechanical alloying of Fe (82 at %) and Ti (18 at %) in the media of toluene and vinyltriethoxysilane. The compacts were then annealed at 925°C. The structure and phase composition of the composites were investigated by X-ray diffraction, electron and atomic force microscopies, and Auger electron and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopies. It was shown that the use of organic liquids as a carbon source during mechanical alloying makes it possible to obtain materials with nanosized carbide inclusions uniformly distributed in the bulk material. Some combinations of the medium for mechanical alloying and milling time allow one to fabricate composites with high microhardness (12 GPa) and enhanced corrosion resistance.
- Kiparisov, S.S., Levinskii, Yu.V., and Petrov, A.P., Carbid titana: poluchenie, svoistva, primenenie (Titanium Carbide: Production, Properties, Application), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1987.
- Gurevich, Yu.G., Narva, V.K., and Frage, N.V., Karbidostali (Carbide Steels), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1988.
- Tjong, S.C., Nanocrystalline Materials: Their Synthesis-Structure-Property. Relationships and Applications, Elsevier, 2006.
- Das, K., Bandyopadhyay, T.K., and Das, S., A review of the various synthesis routes of TiC reinforced ferrous composites, J. Mater. Sci., 2002, vol. 37, pp. 3881–3892. CrossRef
- Cho, H.J., Bae, S.Y., Ahn, I.Sh., and Park, D.K., Sintering behavior of TiC-Fe based composite fabricated by spark plasma sintering using TiH2-graphite powders, Mater. Sci. Forum, 2007, vol. 544–545, pp. 825–828. CrossRef
- Arensburger, D.S. and Kyubarsepp, Ya.P., Conditions of milling of TiC-Fe-Cr powder mixtures, Powder Metall. Metal Ceram., 1978, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 6–9.
- Salem, H.G., El-Eskandarany, M.Sh., Hassan, A.K., and Fattah, A., Bulk behavior of ball milled AA2124 nanostructured powders teinforced with TiC, J. Nanomater., 2009, vol. 2009, no. 10, pp. 1–12. CrossRef
- Krasnowski, M. and Kulik, T., Nanocomposites obtained by mechanical alloying in Fe-Al-Ti-C system, J. Alloys Compd., 2008, vol. 448, pp. 227–233. CrossRef
- Yelsukov, E.P., Barinov, V.F., and Ovetchkin, L.V., Synthesis of disordered Fe3C alloy by mechanical alloying of iron powder with liquid hydrocarbon (toluene), J. Mater. Sci. Lett., 1992, vol. 11, pp. 662–663. CrossRef
- Lomayeva, S.F., Yelsukov, E.P., Konygin, G.N., Dorofeev, G.A., Povstugar, V.I., Mikhailova, S.S., and Maratkanova, A.N., The influence of a surfactant on the characteristics of the iron powders obtained by mechanical milling in organic media, Coloids and Surfaces, A, 1999, vol. 162, pp. 279–284. CrossRef
- Bo, L., Lishan, C., Yanjun, Z., and Chunming, X., Synthesis of TiC powder by mechanical alloying of titanium and asphalt, Chin. J. Chem. Eng., 2007, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 138–140. CrossRef
- Elsukov, E.P., Ivanov, V.V., Lomaeva, S.F., Konygin, G.N., Zayats, S.F., and Kaigorodov, A.S., Solid nanocomposite on the base of iron and cementite, Perspekt. Mater., 2006, no. 6, pp. 59–63.
- Ivanov, V.V., Zajats, S.V., Medvedev, A.I., Shtol’ts, A.K., and Pereturina, I.A., Formation of metal matrix composite by magnetic pulsed compaction of partially oxidized A1 nanopowder, J. Mater. Sci., 2004, no. 39, pp. 5231–5234.
- Ivanov, B.B., Paranin, C.H, and Vikhrev, A.N., RF Patent No. 94039190, 1994.
- Diffraction File and Alphabetical Index, Inorganic Phases, JCPDS, International Centre for Diffraction Data, Pennsylvania, USA, 1983, p. 1023.
- Shelekhov, E.V. and Sviridova, T.A., Programs for X-ray analysis of polycrystals, Mater. Sci. Heat Treat., 2001, vol. 42, pp. 309–313. CrossRef
- Carlson, T.A., Photoelectronic and Auger spectroscopy, Plenum, 1975; Leningrad: Mashinostroenie, 1981. CrossRef
- Nefedov, V.I., Rentgenoelektronnaya spektroskopiya khimicheskikh soedinenii (X-ray Electronic Spectroscopy of Chemical Compounds), Moscow: Khimiya, 1984.
- Lomaeva, S.F., Maratkanova, A.N., Volkov, V.A., Nemtsova, O.M., Surnin, D.V., and Elsukov, E.P., Mechanosynthesis of Fe-TiC nanocomposites with the use of liquid organic media, Khim. Fiz. Mezoskop., 2010, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 120–126.
- Ruzinov, L.P. and Gulyanitskii, B.S., Ravnovesnye prevrashcheniya metallurgicheskikh reaktsii (Equilibrium Transformations of Metallurgical Reactions), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1975.
- Shatynsri, S.R., The Thermochemistry of transition metal carbides, Oxide Metals, 1979, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 105–118. CrossRef
- Dvoinye i troinye karbidnye i nitridnye sistemy perekhodnykh metallov: Spravochnik (Binary and Ternary Carbide and Nitride Systems of Transition Metals. A Handbook), Levinskii, Yu.V., Ed., Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1988.
- Yelsukov, E.P. and Dorofeev, G.A., Mechanical alloying in binary Fe-M (M = C, B, Al, Si, Ge, Sn) system, J. Mater. Sci., 2004, vol. 39, pp. 5071–5079. CrossRef
- Syugaev, A.V., Lomaeva, S.F., and Reshetnikov, S.M., Passivation and local activation of αFe + Fe3C-based nanocomposites in neutral media, Proc. Metals Phys. Chem. Surf., 2008, vol. 44, pp. 51–57.
- Sukhotin, A.M., Fizicheskaya khimiya passiviruyushchikh plenok na zheleze (Phisical Chemistry of Passivired Films on Iron), Leningrad: Khimiya, 1989.
- Bulk Fe-TiC-Fe3C nanocomposites formed by mechanical alloying in liquid organic media and by magnetic pulse compaction
Inorganic Materials: Applied Research
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 138-145
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- titanium carbide
- mechanical alloying
- magnetic pulse compaction
- liquid organic medium
- electrochemical properties
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 12009. Physical-Technical Institute, Ural Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Izhevsk, Russia
- 22009. Institute of Electrophysics, Ural Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia