Density and surface tension of heavy liquid-metal coolants: Gallium and indium
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The density and surface tension of liquid high-purity gallium and indium as a function of temperature were studied. The sessile drop method was used to obtain these parameters. Experiments were carried out from the melting points to ∼1300 K in a high vacuum. The confidence error of the experiments was 0.5 and 1% for density and surface tension, respectively. The results of this research are compared with recommended reference data in the literature.
- Strategiya razvitiya atomnoi energetiki Rossii v pervoi polovine XXI veka (Strategy of Development of Russian Atomic Energetics in First Half of 21 Century), Moscow: TsNIIAtominform, 2000, p. 33.
- Sulim, E.V., Bogdanovich, N.G., Starkov, O.V., Kochetkova, E.A., and Vasil’eva, A.N., Study of Physical and Chemical Properties of Fusible Alloys as Ground for Choice of Ecologically-Safe Heat-Transfer for Energetic Devices, Vopr. Atom. Nauki Tekh. Ser. Fiz. Yader. Reakt., 2008, no. 4, pp. 54–63.
- Gurvich, L.V., Veits, I.V., Medvedev, V.A., et al., Termodinamicheskie svoistva individual’nykh veshchestv (Thermodynamic Properties of Individual Substances), Glushko, V.P., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 1982.
- Kirillov, P.A. and Deniskina, N.B., Thermophysical Properties of Liquid-Metal Heat-Transfers (Reference Tables and Relations), Preprint FEI-0291 (Moscow, TsNIIAtominform, 2000).
- Bashforth, F. and Adams, J., An Attempt to Test the Theories of Capillary Action, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1883.
- Krylov, A.N., Lektsii o priblizhennykh vychisleniyakh. Ucheb. posobie (Lectures on Approximate Calculations. A Tutorial), Moscow: Gostekhizdat, 1954.
- Ivashchenko, Yu.N., Bogatyrenko, B.B., and Eremenko, V.N., About Calculation of Surface Tension of Liquid According to Recumbent Drop Sizes, in Poverkhnostnye yavleniya v rasplavakh i protsessakh poroshkovoi metallurgii (Surface Phenomena in Melts and Powder Metallurgy Processes), Kiev, 1963, pp. 391–417.
- Naidich, Yu.V. and Eremenko, V.N., Method of “Large” Drop for Determination of Surface Tension and Density of Melted Metals at High Temperatures, Fiz. Met. Metalloved., 1961, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 883–888.
- GOST 8.207-76. Pryamye izmereniya s mnogokratnymi nablyudeniyami. Metody obrabotki rezul’tatov nablyudeniya (Direct Measurements with Multiple Observations. Methods of Treatment of Observation Results), Moscow: Izd. Standartov, 1976, p. 10.
- Popov, V.N. and Mozgovoi, A.G., Instrument approksimatsii raznorodnykh dannykh (Instrument of Approximation of Heterogeneous Data), Moscow: Interkontakt Nauka, 2006.
- Hudson, D., Statistics for Physicists, Geneva, 1964; Moscow: Mir, 1970.
- Pashaev, B.P., Palchaev, D.K., Pashchuk, E.G., and Revelis, V.G., Density, Velocity of Ultrasound, Electro- and Thermoconductivity of Fusible Multivalent Metals in Liquid State, Obzory Teplofiz. Svoist. Veshch., 1982, no. 3, pp. 1–108.
- Alchagirov, B.B. and Mozgovoi, A.G., Experimental Study of Liquid Gallium Density at High Temperatures, Materialovedenie, 2004, no. 6, pp. 16–17.
- Stankus, S.V., Khairulin, R.A., Mozgovoi, A.G., et al., Plotnost’ i koeffitsient ob”emnogo termicheskogo rasshireniya galliya, indiya i ikh evtekticheskogo splava v kondensirovannom sostoyanii v diapazone temperatur 273.15-1500 K. Tablitsy standartnykh spravochnykh dannykh GSSD No. 244-2010 (Density and Bulk Thermal Expansion Coefficient of Gallium, Indium and Their Eutectic Alloy in Condensed State in Temperature Range from 273.15 to 1500 K. Tables of Standard Reference Data GSSD No. 244-2010), Moscow: Standartinform, 2010.
- McClelland, M.A. and Sze, J.S., Surface Tension and Density Measurement for Indium and Uranium Using a Sessile-Drop Apparatus with Glow Discharge Cleaning, Surf. Sci., 1995, vol. 330, no. 3, pp. 313–322. CrossRef
- Keene, B.Y., Review of Data for the Surface Tension of Pure Metals, Intern. Mater. Rev., 1993, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 157–192.
- Popel’, S.I., Poverkhnostnye yavleniya v rasplavakh (Surface Phenomena in Melts), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1994.
- Alchagirov, B.B. and Mozgovoi, A.G., Surface Tension of Melted Gallium at High Temperatures, Tekhn. Vys. Temp., 2005, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 789–790.
- Alchagirov, B.B., Mozgovoi, A.G., and Khatsukov, A.M., Density of Melted Indium at Temperatures to 600 K, Tekhn. Vys. Temp., 2004, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 985–988.
- Alchagirov, B.B., Mozgovoi, A.G., and Kurshev, O.I., Surface Tension of Liquid Indium near the Melting Point, Russ. J. Phys. Chem., A, 2004, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 2035–2036.
- Density and surface tension of heavy liquid-metal coolants: Gallium and indium
Inorganic Materials: Applied Research
Volume 2, Issue 5 , pp 468-473
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- molten metals
- surface tension
- sessile drop method
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Metallurgy, Ural Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia
- 2. Institute of Solid State Chemistry, Ural Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia
- 3. Joint Institute for High Temperatures, Moscow, Russia
- 4. Baikov Institute of Metallurgy and Materials Science, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia