Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire in Moscow ash trees
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An invasive species of an aggressive plant pest, the emerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (=A. feretriue Obenberger, A. marcopoli Obenberger), was found and identified in Moscow ash trees for the first time in 2005. The widespread withering of Moscow ashes had been registering since 2004 and EAB was considered to be the main reason for this process. A short description of the insect structure, biology, and usual ranges of distribution is presented. The Palaearctic Oobius zahaikevitshi Trjapitzin [Tryapitsyn, 1989], which parasitizes in the eggs of narrow-body borers, may be considered as an available species for EAB pest control. It seems likely that the EAB was brought in at the beginning of the 1990s with planting material from North America. Transport of the insects with wooden tare from China directly could be another possible path of the invasion. The species should be viewed as a quarantine one.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Agrilus Planipennis Fairmaire, Emerald Ash Borer. Science Branch, 2002 // http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/sci/surv/data/agrplae.shtml
- Haack, R.A., Jendek, E., Houping, Liu, Narchant, K.R., Petrice, T.R., Poland, T.M., and Hui, Ye., The Emerald Ash Borer: a New Exotic Pest in North America, Newsletter of the Michigan Entomological Society, 2002, vol. 47, nos. 1–5.
- Hermes, D.A., Stone, A.K., and Chatfield, J.A., Emerald ash borer: the beginning of the end of ash in North America? 2003 // http://hancock.osu.edu/hort/mgpdf/hermsbeginofend.pdf
- Liu, H.-P., Bauer, L.S., Gao, R.-T., Zhao, T.-H., Petrice, T.R., and Haack, R.A., Exploratory Survey for the Emerald Ash Borer, Agrilus Planipennis (Col.: Buprestidae), and Its Natural Enemies in China, The Great Lakes Entomologist, 2003, vol. 36, pp. 191–204.
- Mecteau, M. and Marchant, K., Emerald Ash Borer in Essex County, Ontario, NAPPO Newsletter, 2003, pp. 4–5.
- *NAPPO Pest Alert. Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire 1888 — Exotic Emerald Ash Borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis, reported in Michigan, United States and Ontario, Canada // http://www.pest.alert.org
- *Nomura, S., Agrilus planipennis. Canadian food inspection Agency Science Branch // http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/sci/surv/data/agrplae.shtml
- Tryapitsyn, V.A., Naezdniki-entsirtidy (Hymenoptera, Encyrtidae) Palearktiki (The Encyrtid Wasps (Hymenoptera, Encyrtidae) of the Palearctic), Leningrad: Nauka, 1989.
- *Volkovich M.G., Spisok zlatok (Buprestidae) fauny Rossii (A list of the metallic wood borers (Buprestidae) of the Russian Fauna) //http://www.zin.ru/Animalia/Coleoptera/rus/bup-rus.htm
- Yang, Z.,-Q., Strazanac J.S., Yao Y.-X., and Wang X.-Y., A New Species of Emerald Ash Borer Parastoid To the Genus Tetrastichus Haliday (Hym.: Eulopidae), Proc. Entomol. Soc. Wash, 2006, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 550–558.
- Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire in Moscow ash trees
Russian Journal of Biological Invasions
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 153-155
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- narrow-body borers
- emerald ash borer
- quarantine species
- Moscow ashes