Dependence of the annual-ring structure in the stem and structural roots of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) on environmental factors in the forest-steppe zone of Prebaikalia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It was established on the basis of the data of perennial surveys that the annual growth of the layer of early tracheids of the stem and structural roots of pine correlated with each other (r = 0.72−0.73). The sizes of annual rings in the organs studied were determined mainly by the width of the layer of early tracheids (r 2 = 83−92%) and were 50% dependent on their radial diameter for the stem and less than 20% dependent for the structural roots. The width of the layer of early and late tracheids in the stem and structural roots was significantly correlated with heat and water availability, and the radial diameter of early and later tracheids was determined mainly by the temperature conditions of the environment. The combined effect of air and soil temperature, air humidity, and precipitation on the annual-ring structure in the stem and structural roots, except on the width of the layer of late tracheids, was 34–58%.
- G. F. Antonova, V. D. Perevoznikova, and V. V. Stasova, “Influence of Growth Conditions on the Structure of an Annular Wood Layer and Productivity of Scots Pine,” Lesovedenie, No. 6, 45 (1999).
- Antonova, G. F. (1999) Cell Growth in Coniferous. Nauka, Novosibirsk
- Vaganov, E. A., Shashkin, A. V. (2000) Growth and Structure of Annual Rings of Conifers. Nauka, Novosibirsk
- Buzykin, A. I., Pshenichnikova, L. S. (1978) Phytomass and Features of Its Production in Trees Occupying Different Cenotic Positions. Efficiency of Pine Forests. Nauka, Moscow
- Esau, K. (1960) Anatomy of Seed Plants. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- V. M. Boyarkin, Geography of the Irkutsk oblast: Essays on Physical Geography of Irkutsk Oblast (Moscow, 1972) [in Russian].
- Atlas of Irkutsk Oblast (Moscow-Irkutsk, 1962) [in Russian].
- Lobzhanidze, E. D. (1961) Cambium and Formation of Wood Annual Rings. Izd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Tbilisi
- Hiller, C. H., Brown, R. S. (1967) Comparison of Dimensions and Fibril Angles of Loblolly Pine Tracheids Formed in Wet or Dry Growing Seasons. Amer. J. Bot. 54: pp. 453 CrossRef
- McElrone, A., Pockman, W. T., Martinez-Vilalta, J., Jackson, R. B. (2004) Variation in Xylem Structure and Function in Stems and Roots of Trees to 20 m Depth. New Phytologist 163: pp. 507 CrossRef
- Richardson, A. (2000) Coarse Root Elongation Rate Estimates for Interior Douglas-Fir. Tree Physiology 20: pp. 825
- Babikov, B. V. (2004) Ecology of Pine Forests on Drained Bogs. Nauka, St. Petersburg
- Chavchavadze, E. S. (1979) Coniferous Wood. Nauka, Leningrad
- V. F. Zabuga and G. A. Zabuga, “Dependence of the Radial Growth of Scots Pine on Environmental Factors in the Forest-Steppe of Prebaikalia,” Lesovedenie, No. 5, 30 (2003).
- Barber, V., Juday, G. (1999) Climate Stress in White Spruce. Agroborealis 31: pp. 19
- D. E. Rumiantsev and V. A. Lipatkin, “Climatic Impact on the Growth Radial Increment of Spruce in Kivach Reserve,” in Proceedings of the Second International Conference of Young Scientists Dedictaed to Professor I. K. Pachoskii (Moscow, 2002), pp. 196–198 [in Russian].
- Deslauriers, A., Morin, H., Begin, J. (2003) Cellular Phenology of Annual Ring Formation of Abies Balsamea in Quebec Boreal Forest (Canada). Can. J. Forest Res. 33: pp. 190 CrossRef
- Y. Nobori, “The Relationship between Weather and Tree Ring Information of Picea glehnii Mast. by X-ray Densitometry,” in 15th Int. Bot. Congr., Yokogama, Aug. 28–Sept. 3, 1993, p. 331.
- Fritts, H. C. (1976) Tree Rings and Climate. Academic Press, London-New York-San Francisco
- Denne, M. P. (1979) Wood Structure and Production within the Trunk and Branches of Picea sitchensis in Relation to Canopy Formation. Can. J. Forest Res. 9: pp. 406
- S. Splawa-Neyman, W. Pazdrowski, and Z. Owczarzak, “Biometruczne Parametry Budowy Drewna Sosny Zwyczajnej (Pinus sylvestris L.) w Aspekcie Wiezby Sandzenia Upraw,” Folia Forest. Pol. B, No. 26, 73 (1995).
- A. V. Kiseleva, “Changes in the Macrostructure of Pine Wood due Growth Conditions and along the Stem Radius,” in Proc. Scientific Conference of Young Scientists Devoted to the 70 Anniversary of the Formation of the Voronezh Forest Engineering Academy (Voronezh, 2000), pp. 133–137 [in Russian].
- A. V. Kiseleva, “Genotype-Dependence of the Yearly Growth of Pine Wood under Forest-Steppe Conditions,” in Proc. All-Russian, Scientific-Technical Conference with International Participation (Voronezh, 2001), pp. 141–142 [in Russian].
- Dependence of the annual-ring structure in the stem and structural roots of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) on environmental factors in the forest-steppe zone of Prebaikalia
Contemporary Problems of Ecology
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 245-251
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Pinus sylvestris
- structural roots
- annual-ring structure
- environmental factors