Generalized wall functions for turbulent flows with strong adverse pressure gradient
- D. Ph. Sikovsky
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The generalized wall functions for turbulent flows with strong adverse pressure gradients are derived on the basis of the asymptotic theory of near-wall turbulence. The generalized wall functions have a correct asymptotic behavior in the limit of zero friction velocity and can be applied to computations of flows under a strong adverse pressure gradient and with separation or reattachment. Calculations of a turbulent boundary layer in a strong adverse pressure gradient with the aid of the developed modified k-ɛ model of turbulence and comparison with the experimental data validate the advantages of the generalized wall functions over traditional wall functions based on the logarithmic law of the wall.
- Launder, B.E., On the Computation of Convective Heat Transfer in Complex Turbulent Flows, Trans. ASME, J. Heat Transfer, 1998, vol. 110, pp. 1112–1128. CrossRef
- Spalding, D.B., Heat Transfer from Turbulent Separated Flows, J. Fluid Mech., 1967, vol. 27, pp. 97–109. CrossRef
- Wolfshtein, M., The Velocity and Temperature Distribution in One-Dimensional Flow with Turbulence Augmentation and Pressure Gradient, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1969, vol. 12, pp. 301–318. CrossRef
- Mellor, G.L., The Effects of Pressure Gradients on Turbulent Flow near a Smooth Wall, J. Fluid Mech., 1966, vol. 24, pp. 255–274. CrossRef
- Patel, V.C., A United View of the Law of the Wall Using Mixing Length Theory, Aeronautical Quart., 1973, vol. 24, pp. 55–70.
- Cruz, D.O. and Silva Freire, A.P., On Single Limits and the Asymptotic Behaviour of Separating Turbulent Boundary Layers, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1998, vol. 41, pp. 2097–2111. CrossRef
- Stratford, B.S., The Prediction of Separation of the Turbulent Boundary Layer, J. Fluid Mech., 1959, vol. 5, pp. 1–16. CrossRef
- Chieng, C.C. and Launder, B.E., On the Calculation of Turbulent Heat Transfer Downstream from Abrupt Pipe Expansion, Num. Heat Transfer, 1980, vol. 3, pp. 189–207. CrossRef
- Craft, T.J., Gerasimov, A.V., Iacovides, H., and Launder, B.E., Progress in the Generalization of the Wall-Function Treatments, Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow, 2002, vol. 23, pp. 148–160. CrossRef
- Yajnik, K.S., Asymptotic Theory of Turbulent Shear Flows, J. Fluid Mech., 1970, vol. 42, pp. 411–427. CrossRef
- Kader, B.A. and Yaglom, A.M., Similarity Treatment of Moving-Equilibrium Turbulent Boundary Layers in Adverse Pressure Gradients, J. Fluid Mech., 1979, vol. 89, pp. 305–342. CrossRef
- Schofield, W.H., Equilibrium Boundary Layers in Moderate to Strong Adverse Pressure Gradients, J. Fluid Mech., 1981, vol. 113, pp. 91–122. CrossRef
- Gorin, A.V. and Sikovsky, D.Ph., Turbulent Boundary Layers with Strong Adverse Pressure Gradients, Thermophys. Aeromech., 1998, vol. 5, pp. 313–330.
- Gorin, A.V. and Sikovsky, D.Ph., On the Ability of Turbulence Models to Predict the Complex Turbulent Flows: The Application of Scaling Analysis, Proc. Second Int. Conf. on Turbulent Heat Transfer, Manchester, UK, 1998, vol. 2, pp. 63–72.
- Gorin, A.V. and Sikovsky, D.Ph., Asymptotic Theory of Near-Wall Turbulence: Do the Wall Functions Exist for Complex Turbulent Flows? Proc. Third Int. Symposium on Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer, Nagano, Y., Hanjalic, K., and Tsuji, T., eds., pp. 157–164, 2000.
- Melnik, R.E., An Asymptotic Theory of Turbulent Separation, Comp. Fluids, 1989, vol. 17, pp. 165–184. CrossRef
- Rodi, W., The Prediction of Free Turbulent Boundary Layers by Use of a Two-Equation Model of Turbulence, Ph. D. Thesis, Univ. of London, 1972.
- Durbin, P.A. and Belcher, S.E., Scaling of Adverse-Pressure-Gradient Turbulent Boundary Layers, J. Fluid Mech., 1992, vol. 238, pp. 699–722. CrossRef
- Samuel, A.E. and Joubert, P.N., A Boundary Layer Developing in an Increasing Adverse Pressure Gradient, J. Fluid Mech., 1974, vol. 66, pp. 481–505. CrossRef
- Launder, B.E. and Spalding, D.B., The Numerical Computations of Turbulent Flows, Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 1974, vol. 3, pp. 269–289. CrossRef
- Bradshaw, P., “Inactive” Motion and Pressure Fluctuations in Turbulent Boundary Layers, J. Fluid Mech., 1967, vol. 30, pp. 241–258. CrossRef
- Generalized wall functions for turbulent flows with strong adverse pressure gradient
Journal of Engineering Thermophysics
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 89-100
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- D. Ph. Sikovsky (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, pr. Akad. Lavrent’eva 1, Novosibirsk, 630090, Russia
- 2. Novosibirsk State University, ul. Pirogova 2, Novosibirsk, 630090, Russia