Modeling of the vaporization front on a heater surface
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The boiling-up of a metastable liquid with appearing vaporization fronts is theoretically considered. The boiling-up occurs usually on the surface of a heater. At the initial stage, growth of a spherical vapor bubble is observed. If the temperature of the liquid exceeds a threshold value, the vaporization fronts develop near the line of contact of a vapor bubble and the heater. The vaporization fronts extend along the heater with a constant speed. A model of steady propagation of the vaporization front is developed. The temperature and propagation velocity of the interface are determined from the balance equations of mass, momentum, and energy in the neighborhood of the vaporization front and from the stability condition of motion of the interface. It is shown that a solution of these equations exists only if the liquid is heated above a threshold value. The propagation velocity of the vaporization front also has the threshold value. The calculated velocity of interface motion and the threshold value of temperature are in reasonable agreement with available experimental data for various liquids within wide ranges of saturation pressures and temperatures of the overheated liquid.
- Marto, P.I. and Rohsenow, W.M., Nucleate Boiling Instability of Alkali Metals, Trans. ASME Ser. C, 1966, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 183–195. CrossRef
- Subbotin, V.I., Sorokin, D.N., Ovechkin, D.M., and Kudryavtzev, A.P., Heat Exchange at Boiling of Metals in the Conditions of a Free Convection, 1969, Moscow: Nauka.
- Kutateladze, S.S, Avksentyuk, B.P., Bobrovich, G.I., and Moskvitcheva, V.N., The Degeneration of Nucleate Boiling Conditions in the Conditions of a Free Convection., J. Appl. Mech. Tech. Phys., 1972, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 59–62.
- Avksentyuk, B.P., Ovchinnikov, V.V., and Plotnikov, V.Ya., Self-Supporting Vaporization Front and Third Vaporization Crisis, in Nestatsionarnye protsessy v dvukhfaznykh potokakh (Unsteady Processes in Two-Phase Flows, Novosibirsk: ITF SO AN USSR, 1989, pp. 52–68.
- Avksentyuk, B.P. and Ovchinnikov, V.V., Evaporation Dynamics at Superatmospheric Pressure, J. Appl. Mech. Tech. Phys., 1996, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 850–856. CrossRef
- Avksentyuk, B.P. and Ovchinnikov, V.V., A Study of Evaporation Structure at High Superheating, Russ. J. Eng. Therm., 1997, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 21–39.
- Zhukov, S.A. and Barelko, V.V., Dynamic and Structural Aspects of the Processes of Single-Phase Convective Heat Transfer, Metastable Regime Decay and Bubble Boiling Formation, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1992, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 759–775. CrossRef
- Avksentyuk, B.P. and Ovchinnikov, V.V., Dynamics of Evaporation in Water, Sib. Fizikotekh. Zh., Ser. Teplofizika, Massoobmen, 1992, vol. 1, pp. 3–9.
- Okuyama, K., Kozawa, Y., Inoue, A., and Aoki, S., Transient Boiling Heat Transfer Characteristics of R113 at Large Stepwise Heat Generation, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1988, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 2161–2174. CrossRef
- Fauser, J. and Mitrovic, J., Some Features of Boiling Fronts on Heated Surfaces, Proc. 11th Int. Heat Transfer Conf., Lee, J.S., ed., Philadelphia: Taylor & Francis, 1998, vol. 2, pp. 377–382.
- Pavlenko, A.N. and Chekhovich, V.Yu., Heat Transfer Crisis at Transient Heat Release, Russ. J. Eng. Therm., 1991, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 73–92.
- Okuyama, K. and Iida, Y., Transient Boiling Heat Transfer Characteristics of Nitrogen (Bubble Behavior and Heat Transfer Rate at Stepwise Heat Generation), Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1990, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 2065–2071. CrossRef
- Okuyama, K., Kim, J.H., Mori, S., and Iida, Y., Boiling Propagation of Water on a Smooth Film Heater Surface, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 2006, vol. 49, pp. 2207–2214. CrossRef
- Avksentyuk, B.P., Nonequilibrium Model of an Evaporation Front, Russ. J. Eng. Therm., 1995, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–9.
- Aktershev, S.P. and Ovchinnikov, V.V., Dynamics of a Vapor Bubble in Nonuniformly Superheated Fluid at High Superheat Values, J. Eng. Therm., 2007, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 236–243. CrossRef
- Aktershev, S.P. and Ovchinnikov, V.V., Model of Steady Motion of the Interface in a Layer of High Overheated Liquid, J. Appl. Mech. Tech. Phys., 2008, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 47–55. CrossRef
- Avksentyuk, B.P. and Ovchinnikov, V.V., An Explosive Boiling at Superheats Close to the Limit, Russ. J. Eng. Therm., 1999, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 69–82.
- Aktershev, S.P. and Ovchinnikov, V.V., Vapor Bubble Growth at the Surface of Flat and Cylindrical Heaters, J. Eng. Therm., 2008, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 227–234. CrossRef
- Modeling of the vaporization front on a heater surface
Journal of Engineering Thermophysics
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 77-88
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links