Numerical simulation of experiments on turbulent natural convection of heat generating liquid in cylindrical pool
- A. S. Filippov
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Available experimental data on heat transfer of a melt with volumetric heat generation are analyzed in order to use them for validating the computer codes that describe a core catcher. The problem for CFD simulation of the experiments on heat transfer by laminar and turbulent natural convection is described. Information that can be obtained from experiments for verifying the models of convective heat transfer in a melt is analyzed. The effect of variable viscosity on the integral heat flux is discussed. Calculation results are represented and compared with experimental data on temperature distribution and integral heat transfer. The calculations are in good agreement with the experiment. The results are numerically extrapolated to the range of Rayleigh numbers up to 7 · 1016. It is concluded that the CFD calculations with the κ-ɛ turbulence model can be used in problems concerned with analysis of melt convection in a core catcher.
- J. Am. Nucl. Soc., 1989, vol. 87, 1 Nutybb 87 (1), pp. 1–334.
- Bolshov, L.A., Kondratenko, P.S., and Strizhov, V.F, Free Convection of Free Generating Liquid, UFN, 2001, vol. 171, no. 10, pp. 1051–1070 CrossRef
- Bolshov, L.I. and Strizhov, V.F., 2006, SOCRAT—The system of Codes for Realistic Analysis of Severe Accidents, Proc. ICAPP’06 Reno, NVUSA, 2006, paper 6439.
- Computer Code Manuals, vol. 2: Reference Manual. Version 2.1. NUREG/CR-6119, vol. 2. rev. 4, SAND2008-xxxx, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, September 2008.
- Guillard, G., Pignet, S., Jacq, F., Majumdar, P., and Simeone, A., ASTEC V1 code: DIVA Physical Modelling, rev. 1, Note Technique SEMCA-2007-316, October 2007, Kadarash, France.
- Filippov, A.S., Drobyshevskii, N.I., Kiselev, A.E., Strizhov, V.F., and Fokin, A.L., SOCRAT/HEFEST Code: Models of VVER Core Melt Interaction with Reactor Structures under Severe Accident Conditions, Izv. RAN, Energetika, 2010, no. 3.
- Mosunova, N.A., Filippov, A.S., and Strizhov, V.F., HEFEST Heat Transfer Models Verification, Izv. RAN, Energetika, 2010, no. 3.
- Bonnet, J.M. and Seiler, J.M., Thermal Hydraulic Phenomena in Corium Pools: The Bali Experiment, ICONE-7, Tokyo, Japan, 1999, paper 7057.
- Main Results of the First Phase of MASCA Project, OECD MASCA Project, RRC “Kurchatov Institute,”May 2004.
- Kukhtevich, I.V., Bezlepkin, V.V., Granovskii, V.S., Khabenskii, V.B., Asmolov, V.G., Beshta, S.V., Sidorov, A.S., Berkovich, V.M., Strizhov, V.F., Khua, M., Rogov, M.F., and Novak, V.P., The Concept of Molten Corium Localization at the Ex-Vessel Stage of BDB Accident of NPP with VVER-1000, Nauchnoprakticheskii seminar “Voprosy besopasnosti AES s VVER” (Scientific-Practical Seminar on Problems of Safety of Nuclear Plants with VVER), St. Petersburg, 2000.
- Than, C.T., Kudinov, P., and Dinh, T.N., An Approach to Numerical Simulation and Analysis of Molten Corium Coolability in a BWR Lower Head, Experiments and CFD Code Applications to Nuclear Reactor Safety, OECD/NEA & IAEAWorkshop, Grenoble, France, 2008.
- Alvarez, P. Malterre and Seiler, J.M., Natural Convection in Volume Heated Liquid Pools—the BAFOND Experiments: Proposals for New Correlations, Science and Technology of Fast Reactor Safety, London: BNES, 1986.
- Fluent 6.2 User Guide, Fluent Inc., Lebanon, NH, USA, 2005.
- Watson, A., Natural Convection of a Heat Generating Fluid in a Closed Vertical Cylinder: An Examination of Theoretical Predictions, J. Mech. Eng. Sci., 1971, vol. 13, no. 3.
- Martin, B.W., Free Convection in a VerticalCylinderwith Internal Heat Generation, Proc. Roy. Soc. A., 1967, vol. 301, pp. 327-341.
- Stainbrenner, U. and Reineke, H., Proc. Sixth Int. Heat Transfer Conf., vol. 2, Toronto, 1978, p. 305.
- Fizicheskie velichiny, spravochnik (Physical Quantities, Reference Book), Grigoryev, I.S. and Meilikhov, E.Z., eds., Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1991.
- Grigoruk, D.G., Kondratenko, P.S., and Nikolskii, D.V., Numerical Simulation of Free Convention of Heat Generating Liquid in an Axially Symmetric Closed Volume, Inzh.-Fiz. Zh., 2008, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 280–289.
- Ferziger, J.H. and Perit, M., Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics, Springer, 2002.
- Shih, T.-H., Liou, W.W., Shabbir, A., Yang, Z., and Zhu, J., A New k-ɛ Eddy-Viscosity Model for High Reynolds Number Turbulent Flows—Model Development and Validation, Comput. Fluids, 1995, vol. 24(3), pp. 227–238. CrossRef
- Metody rascheta turbulentnykh techenii (CalculationMethods for Turbulent Flows), Moscow: Mir, 1984.
- Filippov, A.S., Numerical Simulation of Experiments of Liquid Heat Transfer with Volumetric Heat Generation (Code Fluent), Trudy 4-oi Rossiiskoi natsionalnoi konferentsii po teplomassoobmenu (Proc. 4th Russian National Conf. on Heat and Mass Transfer) (RNCT-IV), Moscow: MEI, 2006.
- Numerical simulation of experiments on turbulent natural convection of heat generating liquid in cylindrical pool
Journal of Engineering Thermophysics
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 64-76
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- A. S. Filippov (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Nuclear Safety Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, ul. B. Tulskaya 52, Moscow, 115191, Russia