Numerical analysis of nonsteady-state conjugate natural convection between two concentric spheres
- M. A. Sheremet
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mathematical modeling of the regimes of free convection heat transfer between two concentric spheres is performed. The temperature of the internal sphere is constant during the whole process; the external sphere with a heat-conducting enclosure of finite thickness is affected by the surrounding medium. The boundary-value problem is formulated based on the mass, momentum, and energy conservation laws in dimensionless stream function-velocity vorticity vector-temperature variables in spherical coordinates. The obtained distributions of temperature and streamlines represent the effect of both energy source and environment on the flow regimes and the heat transfer.
- Gebhart, B., Jaluria, Y., Mahajan, R., and Sammakia, B., Buoyancy-Induced Flows and Transport, New York: Hemisphere, 1988.
- Jaluria, Y., Yestestvennaya konvekstiya: teplo-i massoobmen (Natural Convection: Heat and Mass Transfer), Moscow: Mir, 1983.
- Jaluria, Y., Design and Optimization of Thermal Systems, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1998.
- Yang, S., Raghavan, V., and Gogos, G., Numerical Study of Transient Laminar Natural Convection over an Isothermal Sphere, Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow, 2007, vol. 28, pp. 821–837. CrossRef
- Scanlan, J.A., Bishop, E.H., and Powe, R.E., Natural Convection Heat Transfer between Concentric Spheres, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1970, vol. 13, pp. 1857–1872. CrossRef
- Jafarpur, K. and Yovanovich, M.M., Laminar Free Convective Heat Transfer from Isothermal Spheres: A New Analytical Method, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1992, vol. 35, pp. 2195–2201. CrossRef
- Jia, H. and Gogos, G., Laminar Natural Convection Heat Transfer from Isothermal Spheres, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1996, vol. 39, pp. 1603–1615. CrossRef
- Amato, W.S. and Tien, C., Free Convection Heat Transfer from Isothermal Spheres in Water, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1972, vol. 15, pp. 327–339. CrossRef
- Hutchins, J. and Marschall, E., Pseudosteady-State Natural Convection Heat Transfer inside Spheres, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1989, vol. 32, pp. 2047–2053. CrossRef
- Liaqat, A. and Baytas, A.C., Numerical Comparison of Conjugate and Non-Conjugate Natural Convection for Internally Heated Semi-Circular Pools, Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow, 2001, vol. 22, pp. 650–656. CrossRef
- Agarkova, A.A and Sheremet, M.A., The Influence of Heat Conductive Walls on Natural Convection in Enclosures, Tezisy dokladov 16-oi mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-tekhnicheskoi konferentsii studentov i aspirantov (Abstracts of Papers 16th Int. Scientific-Technical Conference for Students and Postgraduates on Radioelectronics and Power Engineering, Moscow: MEI, 2010, vol. 3, pp. 62/63.
- Loitsyanskii, L.G., Mekhanika zhidkosti i gaza (Mechanics of Liquid and Gas), Moscow: Nauka, 1978.
- Lykov, A.V., Teoriya teploprovodnosti (The Theory of Heat Conductivity), Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola, 1967.
- Roache, P.J., Computational Fluid Dynamics, London: Hermosa Publ. Albuquerque, 1976.
- Paskonov, V.M., Polezhaev, V.I., and Chudov, L.A., Chislennoe modelirovanie protsessov teplo-i massoobmena (Numerical Modeling of Heat and Mass Transfer Processes), Moscow: Nauka, 1984.
- Samarskii, A.A., Teoriya raznostnykh skhem (The Theory of Difference Schemes), Moscow: Nauka, 1977.
- Bishop, E.H., Mack, L.R., and Scanlan, J.A., Heat Transfer by Natural Convection between Concentric Spheres, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 1966, vol. 9, pp. 649–662. CrossRef
- Numerical analysis of nonsteady-state conjugate natural convection between two concentric spheres
Journal of Engineering Thermophysics
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- M. A. Sheremet (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Tomsk State University, pr. Lenina 36, Tomsk, 634050, Russia