Observations of crustal tide strains in the Elbrus area
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Results of observations of tidal strains of the crust in the tectonically active Elbrus area of the Northern Caucasus carried out with the use of the Baksan SSAI laser interferometer strainmeter over the period from 2003 through 2006 are presented. Harmonic analysis is performed with the help of the ETERNA software package. Statistically significant time variations in the amplitudes of the main tidal waves M 2 and O 1 are revealed. The influence of the topography on tidal strains in the Baksan gorge is estimated at 22% (an increase in the measured strain values). The reduced amplitude factors of the main diurnal (O 1) and semidiurnal (M 2) waves are underestimated. Numerical modeling of tidal anomalies produced by regional heterogeneous inclusions is performed in a 2-D approximation. The observed anomaly of the M 2 wave (12%) is shown to be due to the influence of the main magma-controlling fault associated with the deep magma source of the Elbrus dormant volcano.
- O. A. Bogatikov, Yu. V. Nechaev, and A. L. Sobisevich, “The Use of Cosmic Technologies for the Monitoring of Geological Structures of Elbrus Volcano,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk 387(3), 364–369 (2002a).
- O. A. Bogatikov, A. G. Gurbanov, E. A. Rogozhin, et al., “Activation of Elbrus Volcano and Its Possible Consequences,” in Catastrophic Processes and Their Implications for the Environment, Vol. 1: Volcanism, Ed. by N. P. Laverov (IFZ RAN, Moscow, 2002b), pp. 346–397 [in Russian].
- A. M. Dziewonski and D. L. Anderson, “Preliminary Reference Earth Model,” Phys. Earth Planet. Int. 25, 297–356 (1981). CrossRef
- A. Kopaev and V. Milyukov, “Environmental Effects in Tide Strain Observations Near the Mt. Elbrus, Central Caucasus,” Marées Terrestres. Bull. d’Inform., No. 137, 10909–10916 (2002).
- L. A. Latynina, “Study of Crustal Faults Using Linear Tide Strains,” Izv. AN SSSR, Ser. Fiz. Zemli, No. 3, 16–26 (1975).
- N. P. Laverov, O. A. Bogatikov, A. G. Gurbanov, et al., “Geodynamics, Seismotectonics, and Volcanism of the Northwestern Caucasus,” in Global Changes in the Environment and Climate, Ed. by N. P. Laverov (Min-vo Nauki i Tekhnologii RF, Moscow, 1997), pp. 103–124 [in Russian].
- P. Melchior, The Earth Tides (Oxford, 1966; Mir, Moscow, 1968).
- V. K. Milyukov, “Monitoring of the State of Elbrus Magmatic Structures Using Lithospheric Strain Observations,” Vulkanol. Seismol., No. 1, 3–15 (2006).
- V. K. Milyukov and A. V. Myasnikov, “Metrological Characteristics of the Baksan Laser Interferometer,” Izmerit. Tekhnika, No. 12, 26–30 (2005).
- V. K. Milyukov, B. S. Klyachko, A. V. Myasnikov, et al., “Laser Interferometer Strainmeter Used for the Monitoring of Crustal Movements,” Prib. Tekh. Eksp., No. 6, 1–17 (2005).
- V. K. Milyukov and A. V. Myasnikov, “Compensation for Thermoelastic and Baric Processes in Measurements of lithospheric Strains with the Baksan Laser Interferometer,” Izmerit. Tekhnika, No. 2. (2006).
- S. M. Molodensky, “Determination of Tidal Strain Perturbations for a Plain Topography,” Izv. AN SSSR, Ser. Fiz. Zemli, No. 7, 80–96 (1983).
- S. M. Molodensky, “The Plain Topography Implications for Tidal Tilts and Strains: Effects of Second Order,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz. Zemli, No. 8, 3–14 (1986).
- E. A. Rogozhin, L. E. Sobisevich, Yu. V. Nechaev, et al., Geodynamics, Seismotectonics, and Volcanism of the Northern Caucasus, Ed. by N. P. Laverov (IFZ RAN, Moscow, 2001) [in Russian].
- G. A. Sobolev, Fundamentals of Earthquake Prediction (Nauka, Moscow, 1993) [in Russian].
- G. A. Sobolev, “Precursors of Destruction of Water-Containing Blocks of Rock,” J. Earthquake Prediction Res. 5(1), 63–91 (1996).
- Y. Tamura, “A Harmonic Development of the Tide-Generating Potential,” Bull. d’Inform. Marées Terrestres, No. 99, 6813–6855 (1987).
- Observations of crustal tide strains in the Elbrus area
Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth
Volume 43, Issue 11 , pp 922-930
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors