Formation of volatile curium(VI) trioxide CmO3
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thermal oxidation of trace amounts of curium hydride yields a volatile form of CmO2 and the previously unknown trioxide CmO3. They were separated by gas thermochromatography. Under the experimental conditions, the maxima of the deposition zones of Cm oxides on the surface of the quartz column were at 550 ± 25 and 390 ± 25°C, respectively. The calculated enthalpies of adsorption on quartz (kJ mol−1) were 185 ± 25 (for CmO2) and 157 ± 25 (for CmO3). Lower volatility of Cm di- and trioxide, compared to the analogous oxides of U, Np, Pu, and Am, is attributed to a decrease in the ionic radii of actinides along the actinide series and to the break in the order of filling of the 5f shell in going from Am to Cm. The existence of volatile oxyfluoride and hexafluoride of Cm(VI) was suggested.
- Peretrukhin, V.F., Erin, E.A., Dzyubenko, E.I. (1978) Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 242: pp. 1359-1362
- Domanov, V.P., Buklanov, G.V., and Lobanov, Yu.A., Extended Abstracts, 5th Int. Conf. on Nuclear and Radiochemistry, Pontresina (Switzerland), September 3–8, 2000, pp. 93–96.
- Domanov, V.P., Buklanov, G.V., Lobanov, Yu.A. (2002) Radiokhimiya 44: pp. 106-112
- Domanov, V.P., Buklanov, G.V., and Lobanov, Yu.V., J. Nucl. Sci. Technol., 2002, Suppl. 3, pp. 579–574.
- Domanov, V.P. (2009) Radiokhimiya 51: pp. 308-310
- Domanov, V.P. (2010) Radiokhimiya 52: pp. 196-201
- Domanov, V.P. and Lobanov, Yu.V., Abstracts of Papers, 6-ya Rossiiskaya konferentsiya po radiokhimii (6th Russian Conf. on Radiochemistry), Moscow, October 12–16, 2009, p. 83.
- Eichler, B. and Zvara, I., JINR Report, 1975, no. R-12-8943.
- Haissinsky, M., Adloff, J.-P. (1965) Radiochemical Survey of Actinide Elements. Elsevier, Amsterdam
- Keenan, T.K. (1968) Inorg. Nucl. Chem. Lett. 4: pp. 381-384 CrossRef
- Drobyshevskii, Yu.V., Prusakov, V.N., Serik, V.F., Sokolov, V.B. (1980) Radiokhimiya 22: pp. 591-594
- Formation of volatile curium(VI) trioxide CmO3
Volume 53, Issue 5 , pp 453-456
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- gas thermochromatography
- Industry Sectors