Thermoactivated fracture of graphene subjected to tensile strain
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Graphene draws the attention of researchers due to its unique properties-in particular, record-high tensile strength. The time to fracture (TTF) of defect-free graphene strained by tension at a nonzero temperature has been studied by the method of molecular dynamics (MD). It is established that the time to thermoactivated fracture has a probabilistic character and obeys an exponential distribution. The mean TTF is proportional to the area of the graphene sheet and obeys the Arrhenius-Zhurkov law as a function of temperature and applied stress. The dependence of the activation energy for graphene fracture on the applied stress and sample area has been extrapolated to values of these parameters relevant for practical applications. The mechanism of graphene fracture has been analyzed.
- A. K. Geim and K. S. Novoselov, Nature Mater. 6, 183 (2007). CrossRef
- A. H. Castro Neto and K. Novoselov, Rep. Progr. Phys. 74, 082501 (2011). CrossRef
- W. Choi, I. Lahiri, R. Seelaboyina, et al., Crit. Rev. Solid State 35, 52 (2010). CrossRef
- Y. Shao, J. Wang, H. Wu, et al., Electroanalysis 22, 1027 (2010). CrossRef
- X. Li, K. Maute, M. L. Dunn, et al., Phys. Rev. B 81, 245318 (2010). CrossRef
- F. M. D. Pellegrino, G. G. N. Angilella, and R. Pucci, Phys. Rev. B 81, 035411 (2010). CrossRef
- M. J. Majid and S. S. Savinskii, Tech. Phys. Lett. 37, 519 (2011). CrossRef
- Yu. A. Baimova, S. V. Dmitriev, A. V. Savin, and Yu. S. Kivshar, Phys. Solid State 54, 866 (2012). CrossRef
- T. Zhu and J. Li, Prog. Mater. Sci. 55, 710 (2010). CrossRef
- S. V. Dmitriev, Yu. A. Baimova, A. V. Savin, and Yu. S. Kivshar, JETP Lett. 93, 571 (2011). CrossRef
- A. B. Zhao and N. R. Aluru, J. Appl. Phys. 108, 064321 (2010). CrossRef
- S. N. Zhurkov, Vestn. Akad. Nauk SSSR, No. 11, 78 (1957).
- S. N. Zhurkov, J. Fract. Mech. 1, 311 (1965).
- S. N. Zhurkov, Vestn. Akad. Nauk SSSR, No. 3, 46 (1968).
- J. Bailey, The Glass Industry 20, 21 (1939).
- Thermoactivated fracture of graphene subjected to tensile strain
Technical Physics Letters
Volume 39, Issue 2 , pp 185-188
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors