Giant magnetoresistance of granular microwires: Spin-dependent scattering in integranular spacers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The anomalous behavior of magnetoresistance has been revealed in a number of granular microwires. In contrast to the giant magnetoresistance of granular alloys, which is associated with the spin-dependent scattering in the bulk of grains and at their surface, is linear in the square of the magnetization, and decreases with an increase in temperature, the magnetoresistance, for example, in Co10Cu90 microwires is negative, increases with an increase in temperature below the Curie temperature, and does not reach saturation in the field dependence in the high-field range. A simple mechanism of negative giant magnetoresistance due to scattering of spin-polarized charge carriers by impurity magnetic moments localized in the nonmagnetic intergranular spacers has been proposed taking into account that a considerable part of magnetic ions in microwires exhibiting this behavior is dissolved in the intergranular spacers. It has been shown that the corresponding contribution to magnetoresistance can reach 10–20%.
- A. E. Berkowitz, J. R. Mitchell, M. J. Carey, A. P. Young, S. Zhang, F. T. Parker, A. Hutten, and G. Thomas, Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 3745 (1992). CrossRef
- J. Q. Xiao, J. S. Jiang, and C. L. Chien, Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 3749 (1992). CrossRef
- S. Zhang and P. M. Levy, J. Appl. Phys. 73, 5315 (1993). CrossRef
- E. F. Ferari, F. C. S. da Silva, and M. Knobel, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 59, 8412 (1999). CrossRef
- J. A. De Toro, J. P. Andres, J. A. Gonzalez, J. P. Goff, A. J. Barbero, and J. M. Riveiro, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 70, 22412 (2004).
- A. Zhukov, J. Gonzalez, and V. Zhukova, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 294, 165 (2005). CrossRef
- A. Zhukov, C. Garcia, J. J. Del Val, J. Gonzalez, M. Knobel, D. Serates, D. Baldomir, and V. Zhukova, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 21, 035301 (2009). CrossRef
- M. T. Beal-Monod and R. A. Weiner, Phys. Rev. 170, 552 (1968). CrossRef
- A. V. Vedyaev, A. B. Granovskii, and O. A. Kotel’nikova, Kinetic Phenomena in Disordered Ferromagnetic Alloys (Moscow State University, Moscow, 1992) [in Russian].
- A. V. Vedyaev and A. B. Granovskii, Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 63, 1076 (1987).
- W. H. Kettler and M. Rosenberg, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 39, 12142 (1989). CrossRef
- M. Ilyn, A. Granovsky, V. Zhukova, J. Gonzalez, and A. Zhukov, in Book of Abstracts of the International Workshop on Magnetic Wires, Bodrum, Turkey, July 8–9, 2010 (Bodrum, 2010), p. 13.
- Giant magnetoresistance of granular microwires: Spin-dependent scattering in integranular spacers
Physics of the Solid State
Volume 53, Issue 2 , pp 320-322
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Moscow State University, Moscow, 119992, Russia
- 2. Universidad del Pais Vasco/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (University of the Basque Country), Barrio Sarriena s/n, San Sebastian, Basque Country, 48940, Spain