Phase transitions as a function of material constants and temperature in intermetallic compounds of the terfenol-D type
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A model of magnetic and magnetoelastic properties of intermetallic compounds has been considered with the inclusion of the influence of the “giant” magnetoelastic coupling and the biquadratic exchange interaction. The phase transitions as a function of material constants and temperature have been investigated in the framework of the proposed model. It has been demonstrated that the ferromagnetic and quadrupole phases can be formed in the system under consideration. In this case, the phase transition between these phases is a first-order transition and occurs through the intermediate, i.e., quadrupole-ferromagnetic, state. The dependences of the phase transition temperature on the Heisenberg and biquadratic exchange interaction constants have been obtained for compounds of the terfenol-D type.
- K. P. Belov and V. I. Sokolov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 48, 979 (1965) [Sov. Phys. JETP 21, 652 (1965)].
- I. S. Tereshina, S. A. Nikitin, G. A. Politova, A. A. Opalenko, E. A. Tereshina, and I. V. Telegina, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 51(1), 85 (2009) [Phys. Solid State 51 (1), 92 (2009)].
- S. A. Nikitin, T. I. Ivanova, N. Yu. Pankratov, Yu. G. Pastushenkov, and K. P. Skokov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 47(3), 501 (2005) [Phys. Solid State 47 (3), 517 (2005)].
- V. Massidda, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 320, 851 (2008). CrossRef
- R. Anderson, Solid State Phys. 14, 99 (1965). CrossRef
- R. Elliot and M. Thorpe, J. Appl. Phys. 39, 802 (1968). CrossRef
- É. L. Nagaev, Magnets with Complex Exchange Interactions (Nauka, Moscow, 1988) [in Russian].
- H. H. Chen and P. M. Levy, Phys. Rev. B: Solid State 7, 4267 (1973).
- B. C. Frazer, G. Shirane, D. E. Cox, and P. J. Brown, Phys. Rev. A 140, 2139 (1965). CrossRef
- E. A. Turov and V. G. Shavrov, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 140(3), 429 (1983) [Sov. Phys.-Usp. 26 (7), 593 (1983)].
- P. B. Terent’ev, N. V. Mushnikov, V. S. Gaviko, L. A. Shreder, and E. V. Rosenfeld, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 320, 836 (2008). CrossRef
- G. Xinchun, D. Xufeng, and O. Jinping, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 321, 2742 (2009). CrossRef
- R. O. Zaĭtsev, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 68(1), 207 (1975) [Sov. Phys. JETP 41 (1), 100 (1975)].
- V. G. Bar’yakhtar, V. N. Krivoruchko, and D. A. Yablonskiĭ, Green’s Functions in the Theory of Magnetism (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1984) [in Russian].
- Yu. N. Mitsaĭ and Yu. A. Fridman, Teor. Mat. Fiz. 81, 263 (1989).
- V. V. Val’kov and T. A. Val’kova, Preprint No. 667F, IF SO AN SSSR (Kirensky Institute of Physics, Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union, Krasnoyarsk, 1990).
- Phase transitions as a function of material constants and temperature in intermetallic compounds of the terfenol-D type
Physics of the Solid State
Volume 52, Issue 7 , pp 1409-1416
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors