Some dielectric properties of monoclinic lysozyme crystals
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The frequency dependences of the dielectric loss tangent and the magnitude of the impedance for monoclinic lysozyme single crystals and the solution used for preparing the crystals were investigated. The measurements were performed in the frequency range 1–107 Hz under exposure of the crystals at a temperature of 25°C, cooling to −20°C, and subsequent heating. The analysis of the experimental dielectric properties of the crystals demonstrated that drying of the crystals at room temperature in air initially led to the removal of “free” water with the content approximately equal to 65% of the total content. Further drying resulted in the removal of “bound” water. The solvent contained in the crystals (∼26 wt %) was frozen at a constant temperature of approximately −6.5°C. The permittivity of the dehydrated crystal at high frequencies was considerably higher than that of ice.
- A. B. Kudryavtsev, G. Christopher, C. D. Smith, S. B. Mirov, W. M. Rosenblum, and L. J. DeLucas, J. Cryst. Growth 219, 102 (2000). CrossRef
- S. I. Aksenov, Water and Its Role in the Regulation of the Biological Processes (Institute of Computer Research, Moscow-Izhevsk, 2004) [in Russian].
- E. V. Petrova, V. A. Smirnov, and L. N. Rashkovich, Kristallografiya 52(2), 255 (2007) [Crystallogr. Rep. 52 (2), 275 (2007)].
- G. Careri, M. Geraci, A. Giansanti, and J. A. Rupley, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 82, 5342 (1985). CrossRef
- Yu. V. Naidich, V. M. Perevertaĭlo, and N. F. Grigorenko, Capillary Phenomena in the Processes of Growth and Melting of Crystals (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1983) [in Russian].
- D. Voet and J. G. Voet, Biochemistry (Wiley, New York, 1995).
- N. Maeno, The Science of Ice (Hokkaido University Press, Sapporo, 1984; Mir, Moscow, 1988).
- Some dielectric properties of monoclinic lysozyme crystals
Physics of the Solid State
Volume 50, Issue 4 , pp 631-637
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors