Density of states of a one-dimensional disordered photonic crystal
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An analytic theory of the density of states in one-dimensional disordered photonic crystals is proposed. It is shown that the problem of the density of optical modes can be reduced in the small dielectric contrast approximation to solving a generalized Fokker-Planck equation for the distribution function of the logarithmic derivative of the electric field (the wave phase). The exact analytic solution and density-of-states asymptotics deep in the band gap of the photonic crystal and close to the band gap edge are derived. The results obtained agree well with the empirical relations derived earlier from numerical experiments.
- M. A. Kaliteevski, D. M. Beggs, S. Brand, R. A. Abram, and V. V. Nikolaev, Phys. Rev. E: Stat., Nonlinear, Soft Matter Phys. 73, 056616 (2006).
- I. M. Lifshitz, S. A. Gredeskul, and L. A. Pastur, Introduction to the Theory of Disordered Systems (Nauka, Moscow, 1982; Wiley, New York, 1988), Chap. 6.
- Yu. M. Ivanchenko and D. A. Zil’berman, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 8(4), 189 (1968) [JETP Lett. 8 (4), 113 (1968)]; A. C. Biswas and S. S. Jha, Phys. Rev. B: Solid State 2, 2543 (1970).
- M. A. Leontovich, Introduction to Thermodynamics: Statistical Physics (Nauka, Moscow, 1983), Chap. 6 [in Russian].
- Density of states of a one-dimensional disordered photonic crystal
Physics of the Solid State
Volume 49, Issue 10 , pp 1999-2003
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Ioffe Physicotechnical Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Politekhnicheskaya ul. 26, St. Petersburg, 194021, Russia
- 2. Department of Physics, Durham University, Durham, DH1, 3LE, UK