Electrical conductivity of amorphous films of chalcogenide compounds in high electric fields
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Effect of the electric field’s strength and temperature on the electrical conductivity of amorphous thin films of chalcogenide compounds has been studied. It is demonstrated that, at strengths of the electric field exceeding 104 V cm−1, the current increases exponentially as the voltage is increased. The activation energy of the temperature dependence of the conductivity decreases as the strength of the electric field is increased. A model that satisfactorily describes the experimental data is suggested on the basis of the assumption that the increase in the carrier concentration with the field strength has a dominant effect on the conductivity. The effective carrier’s mobility of ∼10−2 cm2 V−1 s−1 and the activation length of ∼(10–30) nm, which represents the influence of the electric field, are used as characteristic parameters of the model.
Supplementary Material (0)
- N. F. Mott and E. A. Davis, Electronic Processes in Non-Crystalline Materials (Clarendon, Oxford, 1979; Mir, Moscow, 1982).
- Electronic Phenomena in Chalcogenide Vitreous Semiconductors, Ed. by K. D. Tséndin (Nauka, St.-Petersburg, 1996) [in Russian].
- B. T. Kolomiets and É. A. Lebedev, Radiotekhn. Élektron. 8, 2097 (1963).
- S. R. Ovshinsky, Phys. Rev. Lett. 21, 1450 (1968). CrossRef
- S. R. Ovshinsky and H. Fritzsche, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 2, 91 (1973). CrossRef
- A. L. Lacaita, Sol. St. Electron. 50, 24 (2006). CrossRef
- A. C. Warren, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 2, 123 (1973). CrossRef
- P. J. Walsh, J. E. Hall, R. Nicolaides, S. Defeo, P. Calella, J. Kuchmas, and W. Doremus, J. Non-Cryst. Sol. 2, 107 (1970). CrossRef
- J. M. Marshall and G. R. Miller, Phil. Mag. B 27, 1151 (1973). CrossRef
- K. D. Tsendin, J. Optoelectron. Adv. Mater. 9, 3035 (2007).
- D. Adler, M. Shur, M. Silver, and S. Ovshinsky, J. Appl. Phys. 51, 3289 (1980). CrossRef
- A. Pirovano, A. L. Lacaita, F. P. Pelizzer, S. A. Kostylev, and A. Benevenuti, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 51, 714 (2004). CrossRef
- E. A. Fagen and H. Fritzsche, J. Non-Cryst. Sol. 2, 170 (1970). CrossRef
- E. Voronkov, J. Non-Cryst. Sol. 353, 2591 (2007). CrossRef
- D. Ielmini and Y. Zhang, J. Appl. Phys. 102, 054517 (2007).
- D. Ielmini, Phys. Rev. B 78, 035308 (2008).
About this Article
- Electrical conductivity of amorphous films of chalcogenide compounds in high electric fields
Volume 43, Issue 7 , pp 921-924
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors