Effect of the joule heating on the quantum efficiency and choice of thermal conditions for high-power blue InGaN/GaN LEDs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The heat model of a light-emitting diode (LED) with an InGaN/GaN quantum well (QW) in the active region is considered. Effects of the temperature and drive current, as well as of the size and material of the heat sink on the light output and efficiency of blue LEDs are studied. It is shown that, for optimal heat removal, decreasing of the LED efficiency as current increases to 100 mA is related to the effect of electric field on the efficiency of carrier injection into the QW. As current further increases up to 400 mA, the decrease in efficiency is caused by Joule heating. It is shown that the working current of LEDs can be increased by a factor of 5–7 under optimal heat removal conditions. Recommendations are given on the cooling of LEDs in a manner dependent on their power.
- M. Yamada, T. Mitani, Y. Nurukawa, et al., Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41, L1431 (2002).
- Introduction to Nitride Semiconductor Blue Lasers and Light Emitting Diodes, Ed. by S. Nakamura and S. F. Chichibu (Taylor and Francis, London, 2000).
- Yu. G. Shreter, Yu. T. Rebane, V. A. Zykov, and I. G. Sidorov, Wide-gap Semiconductors (Nauka, St. Petersburg, 2001) [in Russian].
- Y. T. Rebane, N. I. Bochkareva, V. E. Bougrov, et al., Proc. SPIE 4996, 113 (2003).
- N. I. Bochkareva, E. A. Zhirnov, A. A. Efremov, et al., Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (St. Petersburg) 39, 627 (2005) [Semiconductors 39, 594 (2005)].
- S. Lee, S. Song, V. Au, and K. P. Moran, Proc. ASME/JSME Therm. Eng. Conf. 4, 199 (1995).
- T. Mukai, M. Yamada, and S. Nakamura, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38, 3976 (1999).
- Y. Xi and E. F. Schubert, Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 2163 (2004). CrossRef
- Y. Xi, J.-Q. Xi, Th. Gessmann, et al., Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 031 907 (2005).
- M. Kuball, S. Pajasingam, A. Sarua, et al., Appl. Phys. Lett. 82, 124 (2003). CrossRef
- C. Winnewiesser and J. Schneider, J. Appl. Phys. 89, 3091 (2001).
- D. A. Steigerwald, J. C. Bhat, D. Collins, et al., IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 8, 310 (2002).
- F. P. Incropera and D. P. De Witt, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer (Wiley, New York, 1990).
- Effect of the joule heating on the quantum efficiency and choice of thermal conditions for high-power blue InGaN/GaN LEDs
Volume 40, Issue 5 , pp 605-610
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University, St. Petersburg, 194251, Russia
- 2. Ioffe Physicotechnical Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, 194021, Russia