Small broadening of the Mössbauer gamma line of the isomer 109m Ag as yet another indication of the protracted character of the emission of photons from nuclei and their absorption
- A. V. Davydov
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nine experiments performed to date by three research groups in order to observe the Mössbauer effect in the case of gamma rays emitted by the long-lived isomer 109m Ag yielded results suggesting an anomalously small broadening of the Mössbauer gamma line of this isomer. In turn, this indicates that the emission of photons from nuclei and their resonance absorption cannot proceed within a time interval much shorter than the characteristic time of the change in the energy of hyperfine dipole—dipole interaction, because the photon energy would otherwise be determined by the sum of the instantaneous value of the energy of this interaction and the nuclear-transition energy, in which case the broadening of the Mössbauer gamma line would reach five to six orders of magnitude, as opposed to one to two orders of magnitude broadening observed experimentally.
- A. V. Davydov, Yad. Fiz. 66, 2163 (2003) [Phys. At. Nucl. 66, 2113 (2003)].
- A. V. Davydov, M. M. Korotkov, and P. I. Romasheva, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz. 44, 1778 (1980).
- A. V. Davydov, M. M. Korotkov, and P. I. Romasheva, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 31, 596 (1980) [JETP Lett. 31, 560 (1980)].
- C. J. Goebel and K. W. McVoy, Phys. Rev. 148, 1021 (1966). CrossRef
- H. Eicher, Z. Phys. B 212, 176 (1968). CrossRef
- I. N. Vishnevskiĭ, A. V. Davydov, G. A. Lobov, and V. I. Povzun, Preprint No. 79, ITÉF (Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Physics, Moscow, 1974).
- G. E. Bizina, A. G. Beda, N. A. Burgov, and A. V. Davydov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 45, 1408 (1963) [Sov. Phys. JETP 18, 973 (1964)].
- A. G. Beda, G. E. Bizina, and A. V. Davydov, Problems of Nuclear and Particle Physics (Nauka, Moscow, 1975), p. 209.
- V. G. Alpatov, A. G. Beda, G. E. Bizina, et al., in Proceedings of the International Conference on Mössbauer Spectroscopy, Bucharest, Romania, 1977, Vol. 1, p. 43.
- W. Wildner and U. Gonser, J. Phys. Coll., Suppl. 40(3), C2 (1979).
- R. D. Taylor and G. R. Hoy, Proc. SPIE 875, 126 (1988).
- G. R. Hoy and R. D. Taylor, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transf. 40, 763 (1988). CrossRef
- S. Rezaie-Serej, G. R. Hoy and R. D. Taylor, Laser Phys. 5, 240 (1995).
- V. G. Alpatov, Yu. D. Bayukov, A. V. Davydov, et al., Hyperfine Interact. 107, 231 (1997). CrossRef
- V. G. Alpatov, Yu. D. Bayukov, V. M. Gelis, et al., Laser Phys. 10, 952 (2000).
- V. G. Alpatov, Yu. D. Bayukov, A. V. Davydov, et al., Laser Phys. 15, 1680 (2005).
- A. B. Migdal, Qualitative Methods in Quantum Theory (Nauka, Moscow, 1975; Benjamin, Reading, Mass., 1977). p. 92.
- R. W. Wood, Physical Optics, (Macmillan, New York, 1934; ONTI, Moscow, 1936), p. 270.
- V. K. Voĭtovetskiĭ, I. L. Korsunskiĭ, Yu. F. Pazhin, et al., Yad. Fiz. 38, 662 (1983) [Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 38, 394 (1983)].
- Small broadening of the Mössbauer gamma line of the isomer 109m Ag as yet another indication of the protracted character of the emission of photons from nuclei and their absorption
Physics of Atomic Nuclei
Volume 70, Issue 7 , pp 1182-1184
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- A. V. Davydov (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Physics, Bol’shaya Cheremushkinskaya ul. 25, Moscow, 117259, Russia