Instantaneous frequency estimation used for the classification of echo signals from different reflectors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A comparative analysis of the frequency parameters of echo signals from artificial reflectors of different shapes and from a natural spill-type flaw has been performed. The use of the instantaneous frequencies of ultrasonic signals that correspond to certain instants inside a pulse was suggested as an informative parameter for determining the flaw type. Instantaneous frequency is estimated based on the algorithm of the continuous wavelet transform, which increases the noise immunity of the method. It is shown that for the algorithm to be practically implemented it is appropriate to present the results in the form of dimensionless parameters, namely, normalized frequency deviations determined between the pulse center, edge, and tail. Their joint application makes it possible, in particular, to reliably distinguish echo signals that are reflected at junction flaws that rise to the surface of a test object (notches, dihedral angles, and spills of the weld joints), flat specimen surfaces, and local flaws, such as cylindrical side through holes and flat bottom drills.
- Shcherbinskii, V.G. and Belyi, V.E., A New Informative Parameter of the Flaw Nature upon Ultrasonic Testing, Defektoskopiya, 1975, no. 3, pp. 27–36.
- Whittaker, I.S. and Iessop, T.J., Ultrasonic Detection and Measurements of Defects in Stainless Steel, Br. J. Non-Destr. Test., 1981, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 293–303.
- Gurvich, A.K. and Kuz’mina, L.I., Scattering Indicatrices as a Source of Additional Data on Detected Flaws, Defektoskopiya, 1970, no. 6, pp. 47–56.
- Vopilkin, A.Kh., Difraktsionnye metody v ul’trazvukovom nerazrushayushchem kontrole (Diffraction Methods in Ultrasonic Nondestructive Testing), Moscow: Izd. NTO “Priborprom”, 1989.
- Perevalov, S.P., The Study of Geometrical and Acoustic Characteristics of Erosion Reflectors, Defektoskopiya, 1994, no. 9, pp. 15–31.
- Barkhatov, V.A., Application of Window Functions in Problems of Pattern Recognition of Ultrasonic Signals, Russ. J. Nondestr. Test., 2010, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 711–717. CrossRef
- Bazulin, E.G., Reconstruction of Flaw Images by the C-SAFT Method from Echo Signals Measured by an Antenna Array in the Triple-Scanning Mode, Russ. J. Nondestr. Test., 2012, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–14. CrossRef
- Perov, D.V., Rinkevich, A.B., and Nemytova, O.V., Interaction of Pulse Ultrasonic Signals with Reflectors of Different Types, Russ. J. Nondestr. Test., 2007, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 369–377. CrossRef
- Vainshtein, L.A. and Vakman, D.E., Razdelenie chastot v teorii kolebanii i voln (Separation of Frequencies in the Theory of Oscillations and Waves), Moscow: Nauka, 1983.
- Rinkevich, A.B., Nemytova, O.V., and Perov, D.V., Comparison of Frequency Features of Pulse Echoes from Different Reflectors, ISRN Mech. Eng., 2011, p. 371514.
- Perov, D.V., Rinkevich, A.B., and Kusonskii, O.A., Veivletnyi analiz sverkhdlinnoperiodnykh seismicheskikh ostsillyatsii. Sbornik trudov XVI Sessii Rossiiskogo akusticheskogo obshchestva (The Wavelet Analysis of Super-Long-Period Seismic Vibrations), Moscow: GEOS, 2005, vol. 1, pp. 279–282.
- Perov, D.V. and Rinkevich, A.B., Using Wavelets for Analyzing Ultrasonic Fields Detected by a Laser Interferometer. Basic Concepts of the Wavelet Analysis, Russ. J. Nondestr. Test., 2001, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 879–888. CrossRef
- Perov, D.V. and Rinkevich, A.B., Using the Different Types of Wavelet Transform for Analyzing Acoustic Fields and Signals in Elastic Media. New Research on Acoustics, Weiss, B.N., Ed., New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2008, pp. 65–109.
- Dobeshi, I., Desyat’ lektsii po veivletam (Ten Lectures on Wavelets), Izhevsk: NITs “Regulyarnaya i Khaoticheskaya Dinamika”, 2001.
- Danilov, V.N., Estimating the Parameters of Signals Observed during Ultrasonic Testing of a Cylindrical Article with a Normal Probe on the End Surface, Russ. J. Nondestr. Test., 2005, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 102–114. CrossRef
- Perov, D.V. and Rinkevich, A.B., Acoustic Pulse Signal Diffraction from Different Reflectors in an Elastic Medium, Insight, 2008, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 216–217. CrossRef
- GOST (State Standard) 14782-86: Nondestructive Testing. Weld Joints. Ultrasonic Methods.
- Instantaneous frequency estimation used for the classification of echo signals from different reflectors
Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing
Volume 48, Issue 11 , pp 649-661
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- instantaneous frequency
- normalized frequency deviation
- flaw shape
- Industry Sectors