Defect detection in textile fabric images using subband domain subspace analysis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this work, a new model that combines the concepts of wavelet transformation and subspace analysis tools, like independent component analysis (ICA), topographic independent component analysis (TICA), and Independent Subspace Analysis (ISA), is developed for the purpose of defect detection in textile images. In previous works, it has been shown that reduction of the textural components of the textile image by preprocessing has increased the performance of the system. Based on this observation, in the present work, the aforementioned subspace analysis tools are applied to subband images. The feature vector of a subwindow of a test image is compared with that of a defect-free image in order to make a decision. This decision is based on a Euclidean distance classifier. The increase performance that results from using wavelet transformation prior to subspace analysis has been discussed in detail. While it has been found that all subspace analysis methods lead to the same detection performances, as a further step, independent subspace analysis is used to classify the detected defects according to their directionalities.
- L. A., Amet, A. Ertuzun, and A. Ercil, “An Efficient Method for Texture Defect Detection: Subband Domain Cooccurrence Matrices,” Image and Vision Computing, 18, 543–553, (2000). CrossRef
- A. Atalay, Automated Defect Inspection of Textile Fabrics Using Machine Vision Techniques, M.S. Thesis (Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, 1995).
- A. Bodnarova, M. Bennamoun, and S. J. Latham, “Constrained Minimisation Approach to Optimise Gabor Filters for Detecting Flaws in Woven Textiles,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP2000 (Istanbul, Turkey, May 2000), pp. 3606–3609.
- J. F. Cardoso, “Multidimensional Independent Component Analysis,” in Proceedings of the IEEE, (1998), no. 10, pp. 2009–2025.
- C.-H. Chan and K. H. Pang, “Fabric Defect Detection by Fourier Analysis,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, 36, 1267–1276 (2000). CrossRef
- J. Chen and A. K. Jain, “A Structural Approach to Identify Defects in Textural Images,” in Proceedings IEEE International Conf. Systems, Man and Cybernetics (Beijing, 1988), pp. 29–32.
- F. S. Cohen, Z. Fan, and S. Attali, “Automated Inspection of Textile Fabrics Using Textural Models,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 13, no. 8, 803–808, August, (1991). CrossRef
- I. Daubechies, “Orthonormal Bases of Compactly Supported Wavelets,” Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, 41, 909–996, November, (1988). CrossRef
- P. Dewaele, P. Van Gool, and A. Oosterlinchk, “Texture Inspection with Self-Adaptive Convolution Filters,” in Proceedings 9th ICPR (Rome, Italy, 1988, November 14–17), pp. 56–60.
- A. Ercil and B. Ozuylmaz, “Automated Visual Inspection of Metallic Surfaces,” in Proceedings the Third International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Computer Vision, (ICARCV’94), (Singapore, November 1994), pp. 1950–1954.
- J. Hurri, Independent Component Analysis of Image Data, MS Thesis, (Helsinki University of Technology, Espoo, Finland, 1997).
- A. Hyvarinen, “Survey on Independent Component Analysis,” Neural Computing Surveys, no. 2, 94–128 (1999).
- A. Hyvarinen, and E. Oja, “Independent Component Analysis: Algorithms and Applications,” Neural Networks, 13, no. 4–5, 11–430 (2000).
- A. Hyvarinen and E. Oja, “A Fast Fixed-Point Algorithm for Independent Component Analysis,” Neural Computation, 9, no. 7, 1483–1492, (1997). CrossRef
- A. Hyvarinen, and P. O. Hoyer, “Emergence of Phase and Shift Invariant Features by Decomposition of Natural Images into Independent Feature Subspaces,” Neural Computation, 12, no. 7, 1705–1720 (2000). CrossRef
- A. Hyvarinen, P. O. Hoyer, and M. Inki, “Topographic Independent Component Analysis,” Neural Computation, 13, 1527–1558 (2001). CrossRef
- J. Iivarinen, “Surface Defect Detection with Histogram-Based Texture Features,” in Proceedings SPIE 4197 (2000), pp. 140–145.
- D. A. Karras, S. A. Karkanis, D. K. Iakovidis, D. E. Maroulis, and B. G. Mertzios, “Improved Defect Detection in Manufacturing Using Novel Multidimensional Wavelet Feature Extraction Involving Vector Quantization and PCA Techniques,” in Proceedings 8th Panhellenic Conference on Informatics (Nicosia, Cyprus, 2001, Nov. 7–10).
- T. Kohonen, “Emergence of Invariant-Feature Detectors in Adaptive-Subspace Self-Organizing Map,” Biological Cybernetics, 75, 281–291 (1996). CrossRef
- G. Lambert and F. Bock, “Wavelet Methods for Texture Defect Detection,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (1997), vol. 3, pp. 201–204. CrossRef
- S. Z. Li, X. Lv, and H. Zhang, “View Based Clustering of Object Appearances Based on Independent Subspace Analysis,” in Proceedings Eighth IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV 2001) (Vancouver, BC, Canada, 7–14 July 2001), pp. 295–300.
- S. G. Mallat, “A Theory for Multiresolution Signal Decomposition: The Wavelet Representation,” IEEE i Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 11,no. 7, 674–693, July (1989). CrossRef
- R. Meylani, Texture Analysis Using Adaptive Two-Dimensional Lattice Filters, MS Thesis (Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, 1997).
- R. Meylani, A. Ertuzun, and A. Ercil, “A Comparative Study on the Adaptive Lattice Structures in the Context of Texture Defect Detection,” in Proceedings ICECS 96 (Rhodes, Greece, 1996, October 13–16), vol. 2, pp. 976–979.
- A. R. Rao, A Taxonomy for Texture Description and Identification, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1990.
- T. R. Reed, and J. M. Hans Du Buf, “A Review of Recent Texture Segmentation and Feature Extraction Techniques,” CVGIP: Image Understanding, 57, 359–372 (1993). CrossRef
- A. Serdaroglu, A. Ertuzun, and A. Ercil, “Defect Detection in Textile Fabric Images Using Wavelet Transforms and Independent Component Analysis,” Pattern Recognition and Image Understanding: New Technologies, PRIA-7-2004 (St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, 2004, Oct. 18–23).
- O. G. Sezer, A. Ertuzun and A. Ercil, “Independent Component Analysis for Texture Defect Detection,” Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, 14, no. 2, 303–307 (2004).
- O. G. Sezer, A. Ertuzun, and A. Ercil, “Using Perceptual Relation of Regularity and Anisotropy in the Texture with Independent Component Model for Defect Detection,” Submitted to Pattern Recognition.
- M. Tuceryan and A. Jain, “Texture Analysis,” in The Handbook of Pattern Recognition and Computer Vision, Eds. by C. H. Chen, L. F. Pau, and P. S. P. Wang, (World Scientific Publishing Co., 1993).
- L. Van Gool, P. Dewaele, and A. Oosterlinck, “Survey-Texture Analysis Anno 1983,” Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, 29, 336–357 (1985). CrossRef
- L. Xu, “Least Mean Square Error Reconstruction Principle for Self-Organizing Neural Nets,” Neural Networks, no. 6, 627–648 (1993).
- Defect detection in textile fabric images using subband domain subspace analysis
Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 663-674
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors