Estimation of shear wave velocity in gelatin phantoms utilizing PhS-SSOCT
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report a method for measuring shear wave velocity in soft materials using phase stabilized swept source optical coherence tomography (PhS-SSOCT). Wave velocity was measured in phantoms with various concentrations of gelatin and therefore different stiffness. Mechanical waves of small amplitudes (∼10 μm) were induced by applying local mechanical excitation at the surface of the phantom. Using the phase-resolved method for displacement measurement described here, the wave velocity was measured at various spatially distributed points on the surface of the tissue-mimicking gelatin-based phantom. The measurements confirmed an anticipated increase in the shear wave velocity with an increase in the gelatin concentrations. Therefore, by combining the velocity measurements with previously reported measurements of the wave amplitude, viscoelastic mechanical properties of the tissue such as cornea and lens could potentially be measured.
- K. J. Parker, M. M. Doyley, and D. J. Rubens, “Imaging the Elastic Properties of Tissue: the 20 Year Perspective,” Phys. Med. Biol. 56(1), R1–R29 (2011). CrossRef
- J. F. Greenleaf, M. Fatemi, and M. Insana, “Selected Methods for Imaging Elastic Properties of Biological Tissues,” Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 5, 57–78 (2003). CrossRef
- A. Sarvazyan, T. J. Hall, M. W. Urban, et al., “An Overview of Elastography-An Emerging Branch of Medical Imaging,” Curr. Med. Imaging Rev. 7(4), 255–282 (2011). CrossRef
- K. W. Hollman, S. Y. Emelianov, J. H. Neiss, et al., “Strain Imaging of Corneal Tissue with an Ultrasound Elasticity Microscope,” Cornea 21(1), 68–73 (2002). CrossRef
- T. Juhasz, F. H. Loesel, R. M. Kurtz, et al., “Corneal Refractive Surgery with Femtosecond Lasers,” IEEE J. Selected Topics Quant. Electron. 5(4), 902–910 (1999). CrossRef
- M. Tanter, D. Touboul, J. L. Gennisson, et al., “High-Resolution Quantitative Imaging of Cornea Elasticity Using Supersonic Shear Imaging,” Med. Imaging, IEEE Trans. 28(12), 1881–1893 (2009). CrossRef
- I. F. Comaish and M. A. Lawless, “Progressive Post-LASIK Keratectasia: Biomechanical Instability or Chronic Disease Process?,” J. Cataract. Refract. Surg. 28(12), 2206–2213 (2002). CrossRef
- W. J. Dupps, Jr., “Biomechanical Modeling of Corneal Ectasia,” J. Refract. Surg. 21(2), 186–190 (2005).
- J. Liu and C. J. Roberts, “Influence of Corneal Biomechanical Properties on Intraocular Pressure Measurement: Quantitative Analysis,” J. Cataract. Refract. Surg. 31(1), 146–155 (2005). CrossRef
- S. J. Kirkpatrick and M. J. Cipolla, “High Resolution Imaged Laser Speckle Strain Gauge for Vascular Applications,” J. Biomed. Opt. 5(1), 62–71 (2000). CrossRef
- D. Duncan and S. Kirkpatrick, “Performance Analysis of a Maximum-Likelihood Speckle Motion Estimator,” Opt. Express. 10(18), 927–941 (2002).
- D. D. Duncan and S. J. Kirkpatrick, “Processing Algorithms for Tracking Speckle Shifts in Optical Elastography of Biological Tissues,” J. Biomed. Opt. 6(4), 418–426 (2001). CrossRef
- S. Rigozzi, R. Müller, and J. G. Snedeker, “Local Strain Measurement Reveals a Varied Regional Dependence of Tensile Tendon Mechanics on Glycosaminoglycan Content,” J. Biomechan. 42(10), 1547–1552 (2009). CrossRef
- S. J. Kirkpatrick, R. K. Wang, D. D. Duncan, et al., “Imaging the Mechanical Stiffness of Skin Lesions by in vivo Acousto-Optical Elastography,” Opt. Express. 14(21), 9770–9779 (2006 CrossRef
- G. Le Goualher, A. Perchant, M. Genet, et al., Towards Optical Biopsies with an Integrated Fibered Confocal Fluorescence Microscope (Springer Berlin/Heidelberg, 2004).
- J. G. Snedeker, A. Ben Arav, Y. Zilberman, et al., “Functional Fibered Confocal Microscopy: A Promising Tool for Assessing Tendon Regeneration,” Tissue Eng., Part C 15(3), 485–491 (2009). CrossRef
- J. Schmitt, “OCT Elastography: Imaging Microscopic Deformation Andstrain of Tissue,” Opt. Express. 3(6), 199–211 (1998). CrossRef
- J. Rogowska, N. Patel, S. Plummer, et al., “Quantitative Optical Coherence Tomographic Elastography: Method for Assessing Arterial Mechanical Properties,” Br. J. Radiol. 79(945), 707–711 (2006). CrossRef
- J. Rogowska, N. A. Patel, J. G. Fujimoto, et al., “Optical Coherence Tomographic Elastography Technique for Measuring Deformation and Strain of Atherosclerotic Tissues,” Heart 90(5), 556–562 (2004). CrossRef
- B. F. Kennedy, T. R. Hillman, R. A. McLaughlin, et al., “In vivo Dynamic Optical Coherence Elastography Using a Ring Actuator,” Opt. Express. 17(24), 21762–21772 (2009). CrossRef
- X. Liang, S. G. Adie, R. John, et al., “Dynamic Spectral-Domain Optical Coherence Elastography for Tissue Characterization,” Opt. Express. 18(13), 14183–14190 (2010). CrossRef
- X. Liang, A. L. Oldenburg, V. Crecea, et al., “Optical Micro-Scale Mapping of Dynamic Biomechanical Tissue Properties,” Opt. Express. 16(15), 11052–11065 (2008). CrossRef
- R. K. Wang, Z. Ma, and S. J. Kirkpatrick, “Tissue Doppler Optical Coherence Elastography for Real Time Strain Rate and Strain Mapping of Soft Tissue,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 89(14), 144103–3 (2006). CrossRef
- D. Alonso-Caneiro, K. Karnowski, B. J. Kaluzny, et al., “Assessment of Corneal Dynamics with High-Speed Swept Source Optical Coherence Tomography Combined with an Air Puff System,” Opt. Express. 19(15), 14188–14199 (2011). CrossRef
- C. Li, Z. Huang, and R. K. Wang, “Elastic Properties of Soft Tissue-Mimicking Phantoms Assessed by Combined Use of Laser Ultrasonics and Low Coherence Interferometry,” Opt. Express. 19(11), 10153–10163 (2011). CrossRef
- H.-J. Ko, W. Tan, R. Stack, et al., “Optical Coherence Elastography of Engineered and Developing Tissue,” Tissue Eng. 12(1), 63–73 (2006). CrossRef
- R. K. Manapuram, N. Sudheendran, V. R. Manne, et al., “3D Assessment of Mechanical Wave Propagation in the Crystalline Eye Lens Using PhS-SSOCT,” Proc. SPIE 7885, 78851V–9.
- R. K. Manapuram, V. G. R. Manne, and K. V. Larin, “Phase-Sensitive Swept Source Optical Coherence Tomography for Imaging and Quantifying of Microbubbles in Clear and Scattering Media,” J. Appl. Phys. 105(10), 102040 (2009). CrossRef
- R. Manapuram, V. Manne, and K. Larin, “Development of Phase-Stabilized Swept-Source OCT for the Ultrasensitive Quantification of Microbubbles,” Laser Phys. 18(9), 1080–1086 (2008). CrossRef
- M. Gora, K. Karnowski, M. Szkulmowski, et al., “Ultra High-Speed Swept Source OCT Imaging of the Anterior Segment of Human Eye at 200 kHz with Adjustable Imaging Range,” Opt. Express. 17(17), 14880–14894 (2009). CrossRef
- T. J. Hall, M. Bilgen, M. F. Insana, et al., “Phantom Materials for Elastography, Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control,” IEEE Trans. 44(6), 1355–1365 (1997).
- Estimation of shear wave velocity in gelatin phantoms utilizing PhS-SSOCT
Volume 22, Issue 9 , pp 1439-1444
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Houston, N207 Engineering Building 1, Houston, TX, 77204, USA
- 2. Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 78712, USA
- 3. Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Houston, 3605 Cullen Blvd, SERC Bldg, Houston, TX, 77204, USA
- 4. Institute of Optics and Biophotonics, Saratov State University, Saratov, 410012, Russia