Study of the efficacy of 5 ALA-mediated photodynamic therapy on human larynx squamous cell carcinoma (Hep2c) cell line
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
5-aminolevulanic acid (ALA), a precursor of Protoporphyrin IX, was evaluated as an inducer of photodamage on Hep2c, human larynx squamous cell carcinoma, cell line. Porphyrins are used as active cytotoxic antitumor agents in photodynamic therapy (PDT). The present study evaluates the effects of photodynamic therapy (PDT) with 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) using human larynx cells as experimental model. Hep2c cell line was irradiated with red light (a diode laser, λ = 635 nm). The influence of different incubation times and concentrations of 5-ALA, different irradiation doses and various combinations of photosensitizer and light doses on the cellular viability of Hep2c cells were studied. The optimal uptake of photosensitizer ALA in Hep-2c cells was investigated by means of spectrometric measurement. Cells viability was determined by means of neutral red assay (NR). It was observed that sensitizer or light doses have no significant effect on cells viability when studied independently. The spectrometric measurements showed that the maximal cellular uptake of 5-ALA occurred after 7 h in vitro incubation. The photocytotoxic assay showed that light dose of 85 J/cm2 gives effective PDT outcome for Hep2c cell line incubated with 55 μg/ml of 5-ALA with a conclusion that Hep2c cell line is sensitive to ALA-mediated PDT.
- P. E. Robin and J. Olofsson, Tumours of Larynx, Ed. by A. G. Ker and J. Hibbert, Scott-Brown’s Otolaryngology (Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1997), Vol. 5, pp. 5/11/1–5/11/47.
- A. Gollo, R. Moi, M. Simonelli, D. Vitolo, M. L. Fiorella, and V. Marvaso, Arch. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 127, 786–789 (2001).
- A. Thakar, S. Bahadur, Bk. Mohanti, and S. Nivsarkar, J. Laryngol. Otol. 114, 108–112 (2000). CrossRef
- R. W. Hinerman, W. M. Mendenhall, R. J. Amdur, D. B. Villaret, and K. T. Robbins, Curr. Treatment Opt. Oncol. 3, 3–9 (2002). CrossRef
- S. H. Kreuzer, W. Schima, E. Schober, P. Pokieser, G. Kofler, G. Lechner, and D. M. Denk, Clin. Radiol. 55, 775–781 (2000). CrossRef
- M. Atif, S. Firdous, and M. Nawaz, Lasers Med. Sci. (2010), DOI: 10.1007/s10103-010-0760-6.
- M. Atif, S. Firdous, A. Khurshid, L. Noreen, S. S. Z. Zaidi, and M. Ikram, Laser Phys. Lett. 6, 886–891 (2009). CrossRef
- M. Atif, P. E. Dyer, H. V. Snelling, T. Paget, and M. R. Stringer, Photodiagn. Photodyn. Therapy 4, 106–111 (2007). CrossRef
- M. Atif, in Proc. of the 6th Intern. Symp. on Photodynamic Diagnosis and Therapy in Clinical Practice (2006).
- M. Atif, M. R. Stringer, J. E. Cruse-Sawyer, P. E. Dyer, and S. B. Brown, Photodiagn. Photodyn. Therapy 2, 235–238 (2005). CrossRef
- M. Atif, M. R. Stringer, J. E. Cruse-Sawyer, and S. B. Brown, Photodiagn. Photodyn. Therapy 1, 173–180 (2004).
- M. Atif, M. R. Stringer, J. E. Cruse-Sawyer, and S. B. Brown, Lasers Med. Sci. 18, S51 (2003). CrossRef
- T. J. Dougherty, C. J. Gomer, B. W. Henderson, G. Jori, D. Kessel, M. Korbelik, J. Moan, and Q. Peng, J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 90, 889–905 (1998). CrossRef
- A. Dietze and K. Berg, Photodiagn. Photodyn. Therapy 2, 299–307 (2005). CrossRef
- B. W. Engbrecht, C. Menon, A. Kachur, S. M. Hahn, and D. L. Fraker, Cancer Res. 59, 4334–4342 (1999).
- M. Triesscheijn, P. Bass, and J. H. M. Schellens, Oncologist 11, 1034–1044 (2006). CrossRef
- D. Nowis, M. Makowski, T. Stoklosa, M. Legat, T. Issat, and J. Golab, Acta Biochim. Polon. 52, 339–352 (2005).
- D. E. Dolmans, D. Fukumura, and R. K. Jain, Nature Rev. Cancer 3, 380–387 (2003). CrossRef
- Z. Huang, Technol. Cancer Res. Treatment 4, 283–293 (2005).
- Z. Huang, Photodiagn. Photodyn. Therapy 3, 71–84 (2006). CrossRef
- J. C. Kennedy and R. H. Pottier, J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 14, 275–292 (1992). CrossRef
- S. L. Jacques, S. Furuzawa, and T. Rodriguez, SPIE Proc. 2972, 74–78 (1997). CrossRef
- S. Kamakar, N. L. Banik, S. J. Patel, and S. K. Ray, Neurosci. Lett. 415, 242–247 (2007). CrossRef
- S. Sharma, A. Jajoo, and A. Dube, J. Photochem. Photobiol. B 88, 156–162 (2007). CrossRef
- C. S. Xu and A. W. N. Leung, Laser Phys. Lett. 7, 68–72 (2010). CrossRef
- R. A. Prates, E. G. da Silva, A. M. Yamada, L. C. Suzuki, C. R. Paula, and M. S. Ribeiro, Laser Phys. 19, 1038–1044 (2009). CrossRef
- Y. Y. Tian, L. L. Wang, and W. Wang, Laser Phys. 18, 1119–1123 (2008). CrossRef
- Y. Tan, C. S. Xu, X. S. Xia, H. P. Yu, D. Q. Bai, Y. He, J. Xu, P. Wang, X. N. Wang, and A. W. N. Leung, Laser Phys. 19, 1045–1049 (2009). CrossRef
- R. S. Cavalcante, H. Imasato, V. S. Bagnato, and J. R. Perussi, Laser Phys. Lett. 6, 64–70 (2009). CrossRef
- Y. Y. Tian, D. D. Xu, X. Tian, F. A. Cui, H. Q. Yuan, and W. N. Leung, Laser Phys. Lett. 5, 746–751 (2008). CrossRef
- Y. Tan, C. S. Xu, X. S. Xia, X. P. Yu, D. Q. Bai, Y. He, and A. W. N. Leung, Laser Phys. Lett. 6, 321–327 (2009). CrossRef
- M. C. Milanetto, H. Imasato, and J. R. Perussi, Laser Phys. Lett. 6, 611–615 (2009). CrossRef
- Study of the efficacy of 5 ALA-mediated photodynamic therapy on human larynx squamous cell carcinoma (Hep2c) cell line
Volume 20, Issue 7 , pp 1673-1678
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Sciences, Nilore, Islamabad, Pakistan
- 2. National Institute of Laser and Optronics, Nilore, Islamabad, Pakistan
- 3. National Institute of Health, Islamabad, Pakistan