High-temperature operation of a diode-pumped passively Q-switched Nd:YAG/Cr4+:YAG laser
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The output performances of a diode-pumped Nd:YAG laser passively Q-switched by Cr4+:YAG saturable absorber crystal were investigated function of temperature. Increase of the temperature from 25 to 150°C increased slightly the laser pulse energy, and did not change the pulse duration. Furthermore, an increased absorbed energy of the pump radiation was necessary at temperatures higher than 25°C in order to maintain Q-switch operation. Measurements concluded that Cr4+:YAG transmission did not vary when temperature increased to 150°C. The decrease of Nd:YAG emission cross section with temperature and the changes of resonator configuration due to thermal effects were considered as main reasons for this behavior. The results of this work are valuable for designing a laser-ignition system for industrial gas engine or automotive industry.
- J. J. Zayhowski and C. Dill III, Opt. Lett. 19, 1427 (1994). CrossRef
- A. Agnesi, S. Dell’Acqua, and G. C. Reali, Opt. Commun. 133, 211 (1997). CrossRef
- J. Song, C. Li, N. S. Kim, and Ken-ichi Ueda, Appl. Opt. 39, 4954 (2000). CrossRef
- H. Kofler, J. Tauer, G. Tartar, K. Iskra, J. Klausner, G. Herdin, and E. Wintner, Laser Phys. Lett. 4, 322 (2007). CrossRef
- H. Koefler, J. Tauer, K. Iskra, G. Tartar, and E. Winner, in Technical Digest of Advanced Solid-State Photonics Meeting, Jan. 27–30, 2008 (Nara, Japan, 2008), pres. WB1.
- M. Tsunekane, T. Inogara, A. Ando, K. Kanehara, and T. Taira, in Technical Digest of Advanced Solid-State Photonics Meeting, Jan. 27–30, 2008 (Nara, Japan, 2008), pres. MB4.
- H. Sakai, H. Kan, and T. Taira, Opt. Express 16, 19891 (2008).
- A. Szabo and R. A. Stein, J. Appl. Phys. 36, 1562 (1965). CrossRef
- J. J. Degnan, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 31, 1890 (1995). CrossRef
- N. Pavel, J. Saikawa, S. Kurimura, and T. Taira, Jap. J. Appl. Phys. 40, 1253 (2001). CrossRef
- Y. Shimony, Z. Burshtein, and Y. Kalisky, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 31, 1738 (1995). CrossRef
- A. Siegman, “Passive Q-Switching,” in Lasers (Univ. Sci. Book, Sausalito, California, 1986).
- G. Xiao, J. H. Lim, S. Yang, E. Van Stryland, M. Bass, and L. Weichman, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 35, 1086 (1999). CrossRef
- A. Rapaport, S. Zhao, G. Xiao, A. Howard, and M. Bass, Appl. Opt. 41, 7052 (2002). CrossRef
- H. Lei, M. Gong, Y. Ping, and L. Qiang, Laser Phys. Lett. 4, 572 (2007) CrossRef
- High-temperature operation of a diode-pumped passively Q-switched Nd:YAG/Cr4+:YAG laser
Volume 19, Issue 11 , pp 2090-2095
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors