Broad band enhanced infrared light absorption of a femtosecond laser microstructured silicon
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Absorptive properties of surface-structured silicon prepared by femtosecond laser pulses irradiating in SF6 or N2 are measured in a wide wavelength range of 0.3–16.0 μm. The SF6-prepared surface-structured silicon shows enhanced light absorptance up to 80% or more in the entire measured wavelength range. The absorptance for N2_prepared surface-structured silicon in the wavelength range of 9–14 µm is similar to that of a SF6-prepared sample, although it decreases to about 30% in the wavelength range of 2–7 µm. Light absorption varies with the height and density of the spikes formed on silicon surfaces.
- J. D. Fowlkes and A. J. Pedraza, “Microstructural Evolution of Laser-Exposed Silicon Targets in SF6 Atmospheres,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 77, 1629–1631 (2000). CrossRef
- T. H. Her, R. J. Finlay, C. Wu, et al., “Microstructuring of Silicon with Femtosecond Laser Pulses,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 73, 1673–1675 (1998). CrossRef
- M. Zhao, G. Yin, J. T. Zhu, and L. Zhao, “Picosecond Pulse Laser Microstructuring of Silicon,” Chin. Phys. Lett. 20, 1789–1791 (2003). CrossRef
- C. Wu, C. H. Crouch, L. Zhao, et al., “Near-Unity Below-Band-Gap Absorption by Microstructured Silicon,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 78, 1850–1852 (2001). CrossRef
- R. Younkin, J. E. Carey, E. Mazur, et al., “Infrared Absorption by Conical Silicon Microstructures Made in a Variety of Background Gases Using Femtosecond-Laser Pulses,” J. Appl. Phys. 93, 2626–2629 (2003). CrossRef
- C. H. Crouch, J. E. Carey, J. M. Warerender, et al., “Comparison of Structure and Properties of Femtosecond and Nanosecond Laser-Structured Silicon,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 1850–1852 (2001).
- C. H. Crouch, J. E. Carey, M. Shen, et al., “Infrared Absorption by Sulfur-Doped Silicon Formed by Femtosecond Laser Irradiation,” Appl. Phys. A 79, 1635–1641 (2004). CrossRef
- R. A. Mayers, R. Farrell, A. M. Karger, et al., “Enhancing Near-Infrared Avalanche Photodiode Performance by Femtosecond Laser Microstructuring,” Appl. Opt. 45, 8825–8831 (2006). CrossRef
- J. T. Zhu, W. Li, M. Zhao, et al., “Silicon Microstructuring Using Ultrashort Laser Pulses,” Proc. SPIE 276, 5629–5636 (2005).
- J. T. Zhu, L. Zhao, W. Li, et al., “Great Enhancement of Infrared Light Absorption of Silicon Surface-Structured by Femtosecond Laser Pulses in N2 Ambient,” Mater. Lett. 60, 2187–2189 (2006). CrossRef
- E. S. Kolesar, Jr., V. M. Bright, and D. M. Sowders, “Optical Reflectance Reduction of Textured Silicon Surefaces Coated with an Antireflective Thin Film,” Thin Sold Films 290–291, 23–29 (1996). CrossRef
- Y. Mo, M. Z. Bazant, and E. Kaxiras, “Sulfur Point Defects in Crystalline and Amorphous Silicon,” Phys. Rev. 70, 205210–205219 (2004). CrossRef
- Broad band enhanced infrared light absorption of a femtosecond laser microstructured silicon
Volume 18, Issue 10 , pp 1148-1152
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors