Fluorescence spectroscopy applied to orange trees
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this work, we have applied laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy to investigate biological processes in orange trees (Citrus aurantium L.). We have chosen to investigate water stress and Citrus Canker, which is a disease caused by the Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. citri bacteria. The fluorescence spectroscopy was investigated by using as an excitation source a 442-nm 15-mW HeCd gas multimode discharge laser and a 532-nm 10-mW Nd3+:YAG laser. The stress manifestation was detected by the variation of fluorescence ratios of the leaves at different wavelengths. The fluorescence ratios present a significant variation, showing the possibility to observe water stress by fluorescence spectrum. The Citrus Canker’s contaminated leaves were discriminated from the healthy leaves using a more complex analysis of the fluorescence spectra. However, we were unable to discriminate it from another disease, and new fluorescence experiments are planned for the future.
- J. Penuelas and I. Filella, Trends Plant Sci. 3, 151 (1998). CrossRef
- R. Valentini et al., Remote Sens. Environ. 47, 29 (1994) CrossRef
- Z. Cerovic et al., Agronomie 19, 543 (1999).
- C. Buschmann and H. Lichtenthaler, J. Plant Physiol. 152, 297 (1998).
- H. K. Lichtenthaler and J. A. Miehe, Trends Plant Sci. 2, 316 (1997) CrossRef
- B. Genty et al., Biochim. Biophys. Acta 90, 87 (1989)
- G. H. Krause and E. Weis, Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 42, 313 (1991) CrossRef
- Govindjee, Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 22, 131 (1995). CrossRef
- A. F. Theisen, “Fluorescent Changes of a Drying Maple Leaf Observed in the Visible and Near-Infrared”, in Applications of Chlorophyll Fluorescence in Photosynthesis Research, Stress Physiology, Hydrobiology and Remote Sensing, Ed. by H. K. Lichtenthaler (Kluwer, Dordrech, 1988).
- M. Broglia, Appl. Opt. 32, 334 (1993). CrossRef
- E. W. Chappelle, F. M. Wood, J. E. McMurtrey, and W. W. Newcomb, Appl. Opt. 23, 134 (1984).
- J. C. Martinez, R. F. Hernandez, B. R. Garay, and F. S. Ruvalcaba, Appl. Opt. 41, 2541 (2002)
- L. Vauterin, B. Hoste, K. Kersters, and J. Swings, Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 45, 472 (1995); A. J. Simpson et al., Nature 406, 151 (2000). CrossRef
- D. W. Lawlor, Photosynthesis (BIOS, New York, 2001).
- G. H. Dahn, K. P. Gunther, and W. Ludeker, Adv. Remote Sens. 1, 12 (1992).
- Fluorescence spectroscopy applied to orange trees
Volume 16, Issue 5 , pp 884-888
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. IFSC-Universidade de São Paulo, São Carlos, São Paulo, 135665-90, Brazil
- 2. Departmento Cientifico-FUNDECITRUS, Araraquara, São Paulo, 20114 8 070-40, Brazil
- 3. DES-Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, Pernambuco, 50670-901, Brazil