SILEX-I: 300-TW Ti:sapphire laser
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Based on chirped pulse amplification technology, we have built a Ti:sapphire laser system, called SILEX-I (superintense laser for experiments on extremes), at CAEP, which consists of three stages with 5-, 30-, and 300-TW outputs, respectively. The first and the second stages work at 10 Hz, while the third works at single shot. Pulse durations of 30 fs have been obtained by installing an acousto-optic programmable dispersive filter (AOPDF) to compensate for the spectral gain narrowing in the regen. By taking a number of advanced measures for spatial beam control, such as spatial beam shaping, relay-imaged propagation, precise alignment of compressor gratings, and OAP, near-diffraction limited focal spots (FWHM) have been obtained. Focused intensities are calculated at (1–3) × 1020 W/cm2 with an f/2.2 OAP.SILEX-I has shown an excellent stability and reliability in operations for applications since its completion and will soon be able to operate at 500 TW.
- D. Strickland and G. A. Mourou, Opt. Commun. 56, 219 (1985). CrossRef
- J. D. Bonlie, F. Patterson, D. Price, et al., Appl. Phys. B 70, S155 (2000).
- B. C. Walker, C. Toth, D. N. Fittinghoff, et al., Opt. Express 5(10), 196 (1999).
- K. Yamanaka, M. Aoyama, Y. Akahane, et al., Laser Lett. 30(12), 747 (2002).
- M. Pittman, S. Feree, J. P. Roisseau, et al., Appl. Phys. B 74, 529 (2002). CrossRef
- M. Aoyama, K. Yamanaka, Y. Akahane, et al., Opt. Lett. 28(17), 1594 (2003).
- G. A. Mourou, C. P. J. Barty, and M. D. Perry, Phys. Today, No. 1, 22 (1998).
- T. Tajima and G. Mourou, Phys. Rev. 5, 031301-1-9 (2002).
- T. Ditmire, S. Bless, G. Dyer, et al., Radiat. Phys. Chem. 70, 535 (2004). CrossRef
- K. W. Madison, P. K. Patel, D. Price, et al., Phys. Plasmas 11(1), 270 277 (2004). CrossRef
- F. Verluise, V. Laude, Z. Cheng, et al., Opt. Lett. 25(8), 575 (2000).
- D. Kaplin and P. Tournois (private communication).
- C. Fiorini, C. Sauteret, C. Rouyer, et al., IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 30(7), 1662 (1994). CrossRef
- K. Osvay and I. N. Ross, Opt. Commun. 105, 271 (1994). CrossRef
- J. Hebling, Opt. Quantum Electron. 28, 1759 (1996). CrossRef
- K. Varju, A. P. Kovacs, G. Kurdi, and K. Osvay, Appl. Phys. B 74, S259 (2002).
- SILEX-I: 300-TW Ti:sapphire laser
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 244-247
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. China Academy of Engineering Physics, P.O. Box 919-1, Mianyang, 621900, China