RAPD analysis of genetic diversity and population genetic structure of Stipa krylovii reshov. in Inner Mongolia steppe
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) analysis was used to characterize the genetic diversity and population genetic structure of Stipa krylovii populations in Inner Mongolia steppe of North China. Thirteen 10-bp oligonucleotide primers, which generated 237 RAPD bands, were used to analyze 90 plants of five populations from three regions, meadow steppe, typical steppe and desert steppe, from the east to the west. The genetic diversity of Stipa krylovii that was revealed by observed number of alleles (na), expected number of alleles (ne), Nei’s diversity index (h), Shannon’s diversity index (H), amplificated loci, polymorphic loci and the percentage of polymorphic loci (PPB) increased from the east to the west. The Pearson’s correlation analysis between genetic diversity parameters and ecological parameters indicated that the genetic diversity of Stipa krylovii was associated with precipitation and cumulative temperature variations along the longitude (humidity were calculated by precipitation and cumulative temperature). Dendrogram based on Jaccard’s genetic distance showed that the individuals from the same population formed a single subgroup. Although most variation (56.85%) was within populations, there was high genetic differentiation among populations of Stipa krylovii, high differentiation within and between regions by AMOVA analysis. Either Nei’s unbiased genetic distance (G ST) or gene flow (Nm) among pairwise populations was not correlated with geographical distance by Mantel’s test (P > 0.05), suggesting that there was no consistency with the isolation by distance model in these populations. Natural selection may have played a role in affecting the genetic diversity and population structure, but habitat destruction and degradation in northem grassland in China may be the main factor responsible for high genetic differentiation among populations, within and among regions.
- Meng, J. and Chen, S.H., Ecological Characteristics of Stipa krylovii, J. Inn. Mongol. Inst. Agr. Anim. Husb., 1997, vol. 2, pp. 33–37.
- Bai, Y.F., Li, D.X., Xu, Z.X., and Wei, Z.J., Growth and Reproduction of Stipa krylovii Population on a Grazing Gradient, Acta Ecol. Sin., 1999, vol. 19, pp. 479–484.
- Han, B., Wang, J., Zhao, M.L., et al., Genetic Differentiation of Stipa krylovii in Different Degraded Soil, Acta Agr. Sin., 2003, vol. 2, pp. 146–153.
- Zhao, M.L., Han, B., Wu, J.F., et al., A Preliminary Study on the Population Variation of Stipa krylovii, Acta Agr. Sin., 2003, vol. 2, pp. 163–169.
- Young, A., Boyle, T., and Brown, T., The Population Genetic Consequences of Habitat Fragmentation for Plants, Trends Ecol. Evol, 1996, vol. 11, pp. 413–418. CrossRef
- Fahima, T., Sun, G.L., Beharav, A., et al., RAPD Polymorphism of Wild Emmer Wheat Populations, Triticum dicoccoides, in Israel, Theor. Appl. Genet., 1999, vol. 98, pp. 434–447. CrossRef
- Qian, W., Ge, S., and Hong, D.Y., Genetic Variation within and among Populations of a Wild Rice Oryaz granulate from China Detected by RAPD and ISSR Markers, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2001, vol. 102, pp. 440–449. CrossRef
- Zhou, H.F., Xie, Z.W., and Ge, S., Microsatellite Analysis of Genetic Diversity and Population Genetic Structure of a Wild Rice (Oryza rufipogon Griff.) in China, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2003, vol. 107, pp. 332–339. CrossRef
- Gustafson, D.J., Gibson, D.J., and Nickrent, D.L., Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA Variation among Remnant Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii Vitman) Populations from Arkansas’ Grand Prairie, Mol. Ecol., 1999, vol. 8, pp. 1693–1701. CrossRef
- Jordano, P. and Godoy, J.A., RAPD Variation and Population Genetic Structure in Prunus mahaleb (Rosaceae, an Animal-Dispersed Tree, Mol. Ecol., 2000, vol. 9, pp. 1293–1305. CrossRef
- Huff, D.R., Peakall, R., and Smouse, P.E., RAPD Variation within and among Natural Populations of Outcrossing Buifalogram [Buchloe dactyloides (Nutt.) Engelm], Theor. Appl. Genet., 1993, vol. 86, pp. 927–934. CrossRef
- Huff, D.R., Quinn, J.A., Higgins, B., and Palazzo, A.J., Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) Variation among Native Little Bluestem [Schizachirium scoparium (Michx.) Nash] Populations from Sites of High and Low Fertility in Forest and Grassland Biomes, Mol. Ecol., 1998, vol. 7, pp. 1591–1597. CrossRef
- Rossetto, M., Weaver, P.K., and Dixon, K.W., Use of RAPD Analysis in Devising Conservation Strategies for the Rare and Endangered Grevillea scapigem (Proteaceae), Mol. Ecol., 1995, vol. 4, pp. 321–329.
- Swensen, S.M., Allan, G.J., Howe, M., et al., Genetic Analysis of the Endangered Island Endemic Malacothamnus fasciculatus (Nutt.) Greene var. Nesioticus (Rob.) Kearn. (Malvaceae), Consern. Biol., 1995, vol. 9, pp. 404–415. CrossRef
- Hillis, D., Moritzc, C., and Mable, B., Molecular Systematics, Sunderland: Sinauer, 1996.
- Nei, M., Analysis of Gene Diversity in Subdivided Populations, Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 1973, vol. 70, pp. 3321–3323.
- Yeh, F.C., Yang, R.C., and Boyle, T., POPGENE Version 1.32, Microsoft Window Base Software for Population Genetic Analysis, a Quick User’s Guide, Univ. Alberta: Center for Intemational Forestry Res., 1999.
- Jaccard, P., Nouvelles rescherches sur la distribution florale, Bull. Soc. Vaud. Sci. Nat., 1908, vol. 44, pp. 223–270.
- Excoffier, L., Smouse, P.E., and Quattro, J.M., Analysis of Molecular Variance Inferred from Metric Distances among DNA Haplotypes, Application to Human Mitochondrial DNA Restriction Data, Genetics, 1992, vol. 131, pp. 479–491.
- Nei, M., Estimation of Average Heterozygosity and Genetic Distance from a Small Number of Individuals, Genetics, 1978, vol. 89, pp. 583–590.
- Mantel, N.A., The Detection of Disease Clustering and a Generalized Regression Approach, Cancer Res., 1967, vol. 27, pp. 209–220.
- Schoen, D.J. and Brown, A.H.D., Intraspecific Variation in Population Gene Diversity and Effective Population Size Correlates with the Mating System in Plants, Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 1991, vol. 88, pp. 4494–4497.
- Hedrick, P.W., Ginevan, M.E., and Ewing, E.P., Genetic Polymorphism in Heterogeneous Environment, Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst., 1976, vol. 7, pp. 1–32. CrossRef
- Huff, D.R., RAPD Characterization of Heterogeneous Perennial Ryegrass Cultivars, Crop Sci., 1997, vol. 37, pp. 557–564. CrossRef
- Hamrick, J.L. and Godt, M.J.W., Allozyme Diversity in Plant Species, Plant Population Genetics, Breeding and Genetic Resource, Brown, A.H.D. Clegg, M.T., and Weir, B.S., Eds., Sunderland: Sinauer, 1990, pp. 43–63.
- Reisch, C., Poschlod, P., and Wingender, R., Genetic Differentiation among Populations of Sesleria albicans Kit. ex Schultes (Poaceas) from Ecologically Different Habitats in Central Europe, Heredity, 2003, vol. 91, pp. 519–527. CrossRef
- Knapp, E.E. and Rice, K.J., Genetic Structure and Gene Flow in Elymus glaucus (Blue Wildrye), Implications for Native Grassland Restoration, Mol. Ecol., 1996, vol. 4, pp. 1–10.
- Volis, S., Yakubov, B., Shulgina, I., et al., Tests for Adaptive RAPD Variation in Population Genetic Structure of Wild Barley, Hordeum spontaneum Koch., Biol. J. Linn. Soc, 2001, vol. 74, pp. 289–303. CrossRef
- Soulé, M.E., Conservation Biology, an Evolutionary Ecology Perspective, Sunderland: Sinauer, 1986.
- Hunter, M.L., Fundamentals of Conservation Biology, Cambridge: Blackwell Sci., 1996.
- Li, B., Outline of the Steppe Vegetation of China and Its Utilization, in Editorial of Libo’s Works, Beijing: Science, 1999, pp. 399–400.
- RAPD analysis of genetic diversity and population genetic structure of Stipa krylovii reshov. in Inner Mongolia steppe
Russian Journal of Genetics
Volume 42, Issue 5 , pp 468-475
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links