Seasonal dynamics of phloem and xylem formation in silver fir and Norway spruce as affected by drought
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The dynamics of phloem growth ring formation in silver fir (Abies alba Mill.) and Norway spruce (Picea abies Karst.) at different sites in Slovenia during the droughty growing season of 2003 was studied. We also determined the timing of cambial activity, xylem and phloem formation, and counted the number of cells in the completed phloem and xylem growth rings. Light microscopy of cross-sections revealed that cambial activity started on the phloem and xylem side simultaneously at all three plots. However, prior to this, 1–2 layers of phloem derivatives near the cambium were differentiated without previous divisions. The structure of the early phloem was similar in silver fir and Norway spruce. Differences in the number of late phloem cells were found among sites. Phloem growth rings were the widest in Norway spruce growing at the lowland site. In all investigated trees, the cambium produced 5–12 times more xylem cells than phloem ones. In addition, the variability in the number of cells in the 2003 growth ring around the stem circumference of the same tree and among different trees was higher on the xylem side than on the phloem side. Phloem formation is presumably less dependent on environmental factors but is more internally driven than xylem formation.
- Panshin, A.J. and de Zeeuw, C., Textbook of Wood Technology. 4th Edition, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1980.
- Larson, P.R., The Vascular Cambium, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1994.
- Kozlowsky, T.T. and Pallardy, S.G., Growth Control in Woody Plants, San Diego: Academic, 1997.
- Plomion, C., Leprovost, G., and Stokes, A., Wood Formation in Trees, Plant Physiol., 2001, vol. 127, pp. 1513–1523. CrossRef
- Antonova, G.F., and Stasova, V.V., Effects of Environmental Factors on Wood Formation in Larch (Larix deciduas Ldb.) Stems, Trees, 1997, vol. 11, pp. 462–468.
- Horaček, P., Slezingerova, J., and Gandelova, L., Effects of Environment on the Xylogenesis of Norway Spruce (Picea abies ([L.] Karst.), Tree-Ring Analysis. Biological, Methodological and Environmental Aspects, Wimmer, R., and Vetter, R.E., Eds., Oxon: CABI, 1999, pp. 33–54.
- Deslauriers, A., Dynamique de la croissance radiale et influence météorologique quotidienne chez le sapin baumier (Abies balsamea (L.) Mill.) en forêt boréale, Ph. D. Dissertation, Chicoutimi: Universite du Quebec a Chicoutimi, 2003. CrossRef
- Deslauriers, A. and Morin, H., Intra-Annual Tracheid Production in Balsam Fir Stems and the Effect of Meteorological Variables, Trees, 2005, vol. 19, pp. 402–408. CrossRef
- Schmitt, U., Jalkanen, R., and Eckstein, D., Cambium Dynamics of Pinus sylvestris and Betula spp. in the Northern Boreal Forest in Finland. Silva Fenn., 2004, vol. 38, pp. 167–178.
- Gričar, J., Zupančič, M., Čufar, K., and Oven P., Regular Cambial Activity and Xylem and Phloem Formation in Locally Heated and Cooled Stem Portions of Norway Spruce, Wood Sci. Technol., 2007, vol. 41, pp. 463–475. CrossRef
- Rossi, S., Deslauriers, A., Anfodillo, T., Morin, H., Saracino, A., Motta, R., and Borghetti, M., Conifers in Cold Environments Synchronize Maximum Growth Rate of Tree-Ring Formation with Day Length, New Phytol., 2006, vol. 170, pp. 301–310. CrossRef
- Alfieri, F.J. and Evert, R.F., Seasonal Development of the Secondary Phloem in Pinus, Am. J. Bot., 1968, vol. 55, pp. 518–528. CrossRef
- Alfieri, F.J. and Evert, R.F., Structure and Seasonal Development of the Secondary Phloem in the Pinaceae, Bot. Gaz. (Chicago), 1973, vol. 134, pp. 17–25. CrossRef
- Golinowski, W.O., The Anatomical Structure of the Common Fir (Abies alba Mill.) Bark: 1. Development of Bark Tissues, Acta Soc. Bot. Polon., 1971, vol. 40, pp. 149–181.
- Antonova, G.F. and Stasova, V.V., Seasonal Development of Phloem in Scots Pine Stems, Russ. J. Developm. Biol., 2006, vol. 37, pp. 306–320. CrossRef
- Abbe, L.B. and Crafts A.S., Phloem of White Pine and Other Coniferous Species, Bot. Gaz. (Chicago), 1939, vol. 100, pp. 695–722 CrossRef
- Esau, K., Development and Structure of the Phloem Tissue, Bot. Rev., 1939, vol. 5, pp. 373–432. CrossRef
- Holdheide, W., Anatomie mitteleuropaischer Geholzrinden (mit mikrophotographischem Atlas), Handbuch der Mikroskopie in der Technik, Freund, H., Ed., Frankfurt am Main: Umschau-Verlag, 1951, pp. 193–365.
- Srivastava, L.M., Secondary Phloem in the Pinaceae. University of California Publications in Botany, 1963, vol. 36, pp. 1–42.
- Srivastava, L.M., Anatomy, Chemistry and Physiology of Bark, Int. Rev. Forestry Res., 1964, vol. 1, pp. 204–277.
- Srivastava, L.M. and O’Brian, T.P., On the Ultrastructure of Cambium and Its Vascular Derivatives, Protoplasma, 1966, vol. 61, pp. 277–293. CrossRef
- Trockenbrodt, M., Survey and Discussion of the Terminology used in Bark Anatomy, IAWA Bulletin n.s., 1990, vol. 11, pp. 141–166.
- Kutscha, N.P., Hyland, F., and Schwarzmann, J.M., Certain Seasonal Changes in Balsam Fir Cambium and Its Derivatives, Wood Sci. Technol., 1975, vol. 9, pp. 175–188. CrossRef
- Schweingruber, F.H., Tree Rings and Environment: Dendroecology, Bern: Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research and Paul Haupt Verlag, 1996.
- Gričar, J., Effect of Temperature and Precipitation on Xylogenesis of Silver Fir (Abies alba) and Norway Spruce (Picea abies), Ph. D. Dissertation, Ljubljana: University of Ljubljana, 2006.
- Dobbertin M., Tree Growth as Indicator of Tree Vitality and Tree Reaction to Environmental Stress: A Review, Eur. J. Forest Res., 2005, vol. 124, pp. 319–333. CrossRef
- Gričar, J., Zupančič, M., Čufar, K., Koch, G., Schmitt, U., and Oven, P., Effect of Local Heating and Cooling on Cambial Activity and Cell Differentiation in Stem of Norway Spruce, Ann. Bot., 2006, vol. 97, pp. 943–951. CrossRef
- Seasonal dynamics of phloem and xylem formation in silver fir and Norway spruce as affected by drought
Russian Journal of Plant Physiology
Volume 55, Issue 4 , pp 538-543
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Picea abies
- Abies alba
- sieve cells
- cambial activity
- cell differentiation
- light microscopy
- Industry Sectors