Propagation of TM waves in a layer with arbitrary nonlinearity
- D. V. Valovik
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A boundary value problem for Maxwell’s equations describing propagation of TM waves in a nonlinear dielectric layer with arbitrary nonlinearity is considered. The layer is located between two linear semi-infinite media. The problem is reduced to a nonlinear boundary eigenvalue problem for a system of second-order nonlinear ordinary differential equations. A dispersion equation for the eigenvalues of the problem (propagation constants) is derived. For a given nonlinearity function, the dispersion equation can be studied both analytically and numerically. A sufficient condition for the existence of at least one eigenvalue is formulated.
- P. N. Eleonskii, L. G. Oganes’yants, and V. P. Silin, “Cylindrical Nonlinear Waveguides,” Sov. Phys. JETP 35(1), 44–47 (1972).
- H. W. Schürmann, V. S. Serov, and Yu. V. Shestopalov, “TE-Polarized Waves Guided by a Lossness Nonlinear Three-Layer Structure,” Phys. Rev. 58, 1040–1050 (1998). CrossRef
- R. I. Joseph and D. N. Christodoulides, “Exact Field Decomposition for TM Waves in Nonlinear Media,” Opt. Lett. 12, 826–828 (1987). CrossRef
- K. M. Leung and R. L. Lin, “Scattering of Transverse-Magnetic Waves with a Nonlinear Film: Formal Field Solutions in Quadratures,” Phys. Rev. B 44, 5007–5012 (1991). CrossRef
- D. V. Valovik and Yu. G. Smirnov, “Nonlinear Eigenvalue Problem for TM Electromagnetic Waves Propagating in a Nonlinear Layer,” Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Mat., No. 10, 70–74 (2008).
- D. V. Valovik and Yu. G. Smirnov, “Propagation of TM Waves in a Kerr Nonlinear Layer,” Comput. Math. Math. Phys. 48, 2217–2225 (2008). CrossRef
- D. V. Valovik, “On the Existence of Solutions of a Nonlinear Boundary Eigenvalue Problem for TM-Polarized Electromagnetic Waves,” Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Povolzh. Reg. Fiz. Mat. Nauki, No. 2, 86–94 (2008).
- D. V. Valovik and Yu. G. Smirnov, “Calculation of the Propagation Constants of TM Electromagnetic Waves in a Nonlinear Layer,” J. Commun. Technol. Electron. 53, 883–889 (2008). CrossRef
- D. V. Valovik and Yu. G. Smirnov, “Calculation of the Propagation Constants and Fields of Polarized Electromagnetic TM Waves in a Nonlinear Anisotropic Layer,” J. Commun. Technol. Electron. 54, 391–398 (2009). CrossRef
- S. N. Kupriyanova, and Yu. G. Smirnov, “Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Cylindrical Dielectric Waveguides Filled with a Nonlinear Medium,” Comput. Math. Math. Phys.44, 1762–1772 (2004).
- Yu. G. Smirnov, E. A. Khorosheva, and M. Yu. Medvedik, “Numerical Solution to the Problem of TM Electromagnetic Waves Propagating in Round Dielectric Waveguides Filled with a Nonlinear Medium,” Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Povolzh. Region. Fiz.-Mat. Nauki, No. 1, 2–13 (2010).
- D. V. Valovik, “The Problem Electromagnetic Waves Propagating in a Layer with Arbitrary Nonlinearity (I. TE Waves),” Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Povolzh. Region. Fiz.-Mat. Nauki, No. 1, 18–27 (2010).
- N. N. Bautin and E. A. Leontovich, Methods and Techniques for Qualitative Analysis of Dynamical Systems in the Plane: Reference Mathematical Library (Nauka, Moscow, 1990), Vol. 11 [in Russian].
- I. Ts. Gokhberg and M. G. Krein, Introduction to the Theory of Linear Nonself-Adjoint Operators in Hilbert Spaces (Nauka, Moscow, 1965; Am. Math. Soc., Providence, 1969).
- Propagation of TM waves in a layer with arbitrary nonlinearity
Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics
Volume 51, Issue 9 , pp 1622-1632
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- nonlinear boundary eigenvalue problem for Maxwell’s equations
- nonlinear layer
- dispersion equation
- numerical-analytical solution method
- D. V. Valovik (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Penza State University, ul. Krasnaya 40, Penza, 440026, Russia