Characteristics of disturbances of intercortical and cortical-subcortical integration in various clinical forms of neurotic depression
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cross-correlation, coherent, and factor analyses of the EEG were used to detect disturbances of spatial organization of brain bioelectric activity, with certain specific features determined by concomitant anxiety and asthenia syndromes in 20 patients with various clinical forms of neurotic depression. In the group of patients with dominance of the depressive syndrome without marked symptoms of asthenia or anxiety, opposite changes in the anterior areas of the right and left hemispheres were found; the interregional relationships of the EEG of anterior areas of the right hemisphere were decreased as compared to the norm, while the normal level of systemic interaction of bioelectric potentials of the cortex of the left hemisphere was increased. In patients with the depressive syndrome combined with increased anxiety, as well as in patients with distinct asthenic symptoms, a considerable decrease in the level of interregional interactions of bioelectric potentials in frontal regions of the cortex of both hemispheres was detected. This was accompanied by an increase, as compared to the norm, of the level of distant relationships of the EEG in posterotemporal, parietal, and occipital regions. The data indicate that, in the case of neurotic depression, irrespective of concomitant anxiety and asthenia syndromes, there is transient inhibition of the functional activity of frontal regions along with an increased rigidity of systemic interactions of the posterior regions of the cortex of both hemispheres. This suggests that neurotic depression is accompanied by dysfunction of intercortical and cortical-subcortical integration, which causes a disturbance of the systemic organization of ordered interactions of the activity of the anterior and posterior regions of both hemispheres, with certain specific features in patients of each group.
- Aleksandrovskii, Yu.A., Pogranichnye psikhicheskie rasstroistva (Borderline Mental Disorders), Moscow: Meditsina, 1993.
- Matousek, M., EEG Patterns in Various Subgroups of Endogenous Depression, Int. J. Psychophysiol., 1991, vol. 10, no. 3, p. 23. CrossRef
- Davidson, R.J., Schaffer, F.C., and Saron, C., Effects of Lateralized Presentation of Faces on Self-Reports of Motions and EEG Symmetry in Depressed and Non-Depressed Subjects, Psychophysiology, 1985, vol. 22, p. 353. CrossRef
- Kornetov, N.A., Psikhogennaya depressiya. Klinika, patogenez (Psychogenic Depression: Clinical Picture and Pathogenesis), Tomsk: Tomsk. Univ., 1993.
- Soroko, S.I. and Sidorenko, G.V., EEG-markery nervnopsikhicheskikh narushenii i komp’yuternaya diagnostika (EEG Markers of Neurological and Mental Disorders: Computer Diagnosis), Bishkek: Ilim, 1993.
- Panyushkina, S.V., Some Results of Study of Correlation Relationships of Visual Event-Related Potentials in Healthy Persons and Depressed Patients, Zh. Nevrapatol. Psikhiatr. im. S.S. Korsakova, 1975, vol. 75, no. 5, p. 720.
- Strelets, V.B., Danilova, N.N., and Kornilova, I.V., EEG Rhythms and Psychological Indices of Emotions During Reactive Depression, Zh. Vyssh. Nerv. Deyat., 1997, vol. 47, no. 1, p. 11.
- Iznak, A.F., Electrophysiological Correlates of Psychogenic Disorders, Fiziol. Chel., 2007, vol. 33, no. 2, p. 137 [Hum. Physiol. (Eng. Transl.), 2007, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 250–251].
- Bizyuk, A.P., Vasserman, L.I., and Iovlev, B.I., Primenenie integrativnogo testa trevozhnosti(ITT): Metodicheskie rekomendatsii (The Use of the Integrative Anxiety Test (IAT): Methodical Recommendations), St. Petersburg, 1997.
- Jambu, M., Ierarkhicheskii klaster-analiz i sootvetstviya (Hierarchical Cluster Analysis and Correspondences), Moscow: Finansy i Statistika, 1988.
- Harman, H., Modern Factor Analysis, Chicago: Univ. Chicago Press, 1967.
- Tsitseroshin, M.N., Analysis of Statistical Interrelationship of Fluctuations of Brain Bioelectric Potentials in a Three-Dimensional Factor Space, Avtometriya, 1986, no. 6, p. 89.
- Shepoval’nikov, A.N. and Tsitseroshin, M.N., Spatial Order of Functional Organization of the Whole Brain, Fiziol. Chel., 1987, vol. 13, no. 6, p. 892 [Hum. Physiol. (Eng. Transl.), 1988, vol. 13, no. 6, p. 371].
- Shepoval’nikov, A.N. and Tsitseroshin, M.N., Evolutionary Aspects of Formation of Integrative Brain Activity in Humans, Ross. Fiziol. Zh. im. I.M. Sechenova, 1999, vol. 85, no. 10, p. 11.
- Tsitseroshin, M.N., Reflection of Systemic Brain Activity in the Spatial Structure of the EEG in Adults and Children, Doctoral (Biol.) Dissertation, St. Petersburg, 1997.
- Shepoval’nikov, A.N., Tsitseroshin, M.N., Rozhkov, V.P., et al., Interregional Cortical Interaction at Different Stages of Natural Sleep and the Hypnotic State: EEG Evidence, Fiziol. Chel., 2005, vol. 31, no. 2, p. 45 [Hum Physiol. (Eng. Transl.), 2005, vol. 31, no. 2, p. 150].
- Tsitseroshin, M.N. and Pogosyan, A.A., Manifestation of the Activity of the Integrative Mechanisms of the Brain in Its Bioelectrical Activity, Biofizika, 1993, vol. 38, no. 2, p. 344 [Biophysics (Eng Transl.), 1993, vol. 38, no. 2, p. 339].
- Shepoval’nikov, A.N. and Tsitseroshin, M.N., Formation of Interzonal Interaction of Cortical Fields During Verbal-Mental Activity, Zh. Evol. Biokhim. Fiziol., 2004, vol. 5, p. 411 [J. Evol. Biochem. Physiol., 2004, vol. 40, no. 5, p. 411].
- Ivonin, A.A., Tsitseroshin, M.N., Pogosyan, A.A., and Shuvaev, V.T., Genetic Determination of Neurophysiological Mechanisms of Cortical-Subcortical Integration of Bioelectrical Brain Activity, Neurosci. Behav. Physiol., 2002, vol. 88, no. 10, p. 1330.
- Tsitseroshin, M.N., Ivonin, A.A., Pogosyan, A.A., et al., The Role of the Genotype in the Development of the Neurophysiological Mechanisms Involved in the Spatial Integration of the Neocortex Bioelectric Activity, Fiziol. Chel., 2003, vol. 29, no. 4, p. 5 [Hum. Physiol. (Eng. Transl.), 2003, vol. 29, no. 4, p. 393].
- RF Patent 2177716 C2, 2000.
- Luriya, A.R., Osnovy neiropsikhologii (Essentials of Neuropsychology), Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 1973.
- Khomskaya, E.D., Neiropsikhologiya (Neuropsychology), Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 1987.
- Korsakova, N.K. and Moskovichute, L.I., Klinicheskaya neiropsikhologiya (Clinical Neuropsychology), Moscow: Akademiya, 2003.
- Nobler, M.S., Sackeim, H.A., and Prohovnik, I., Regional Cerebral Blood Flow in Mood Disorders: III. Treatment and Clinical Response, Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1994, vol. 51, no. 11, p. 884.
- Davidson, R.J. and Sutton, S.K., Affective Neuroscience: The Emergence of a Discipline, Curr. Opin. Neurobiol., 1995, no. 5, p. 217.
- Vasserman, L.I., Il’ina, O.G., Mazo, G.E., and Ivanov, M.V., Neuropsychological Correlates of Depressive States in the Process of Psychopharmcotherapy, in III Klinicheskie Pavlovskie chteniya. Sbornik rabot. Vypusk tretii “Depressiya” (III Pavlov Clinical Lectures: Collection of Papers, Issue 3: Depression), St. Petersburg, 2001, p. 21.
- Strelets, V.B., Ivanitskii, A.M., and Ivanitskii, G.A., Disturbance in the Organization of Cortical Processes During Depression, Zh. Vyssh. Nervn. Deyat., 1996, vol. 46, no. 2, p. 274.
- Heller, W., Neurophysiological Mechanisms of Individual Differences in Emotion, Personality and Arousal, Neuropsychiatry, 1993, vol. 7, no. 4, p. 476.
- Goldberg, E., The Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes and the Civilized Mind, New York: Oxford Univ., 2002.
- Shepoval’nikov, A.N., Tsitseroshin, M.N., and Pogosyan, A.A., The Role of Different Cortical Areas and Their Connections in the Postnatal Development of the Spatial Pattern of the Field of the Brain Biopotentials, Fiziol. Chel., 1997, vol. 23, no. 2, p. 12 [Hum. Physiol. (Eng. Transl.), 1997, vol. 23, no. 2, p. 136].
- Shepoval’nikov, A.N., Ciceroshin, M.N., Pogosyan, A.A., et al., Normalisation des processus neurophysiologiqyes du systeme nerveux central grace au traitement osteopathique, ApoStill (Le journal de l’Acadamie d’Osteopathie de France), 2000, no. 7, p. 7.
- Adrianov, O.S., Organized Brain (Review about Principles of Construction and Functional Brain Organization). Communication I, Usp. Fiziol. Nauk, 1995, vol. 26, no. 1, p. 25.
- Strelets, V.B., Disorders of Mechanisms of Perception of Emotions and Reasoning During Some Forms of Mental Pathology, Fiziol. Chel., 1989, vol. 15, no. 3, p. 136.
- Shepoval’nikov, A.N. and Tsitseroshin, M.N., On Mechanisms of Spatial Integration of α-Rhytm, Fiziol. Chel., 1977, vol. 3, no. 4, p. 685.
- Belenkov, N.Yu., Printsip tselostnosti v deyatel’nosti mozga (The Integrity Principle in Brain Activity), Moscow: Meditsina, 1980.
- Characteristics of disturbances of intercortical and cortical-subcortical integration in various clinical forms of neurotic depression
Volume 34, Issue 6 , pp 660-671
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Pavlov Institute of Physiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, 199034, Russia
- 2. Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, 194223, Russia