Polarization, temporal, and spectral parameters of solar flare hard X-rays as measured by the SPR-N instrument onboard the CORONAS-F satellite
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The SPR-N polarimeter onboard the CORONAS-F satellite allows the X-ray polarization degree to be measured in energy ranges of 20–40, 40–60, and 60–100 keV. To measure the polarization, the method based on the Thompson scattering of solar X-ray photons in beryllium plates was used; the scattered photons were detected with a system of six CsI(Na) scintillation sensors. During the observation period from August 2001 to January 2005, the SPR-N instrument detected the hard X-rays of more than 90 solar flares. The October 29, 2003, event showed a significant polarization degree exceeding 70% in channels of E = 40–60 and 60–100 keV and about 50% in the 20-to 40-keV channel. The time profile of the polarization degree and the projection of the polarization plane onto the solar disk were determined. For 25 events, the upper limits of the part of polarized X-rays were estimated at 8 to 40%. For all the flares detected, time profiles (with a resolution of up to 4 s), hard X-ray radiation fluxes, and spectral index estimates were obtained.
- Bogomolov, A.V., Denisov, Yu.I., Kuznetsov, S.N., et al., Hard X-ray Radiation from Solar Flares in the Second Half of 2001: Preliminary Results of the SPR-N Experiment Onboard the CORONAS-F Satellite, Astron. Vestn., 2003a, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 127–136 [Sol. Syst. Res. (Engl. Transl.), 2003a, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 112–120].
- Bogomolov, A.V., Denisov, Yu.I., Logachev, Yu.I., et al., Time, Spectral, and Polarization Characteristics of Hard X-Ray Radiation of Solar Flares Observed during the SPR-N Experiment aboard the CORONAS-F Orbital Observatory, Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Fiz., 2003b, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 1422–1426.
- Dennis, B.R., Solar Hard X-Ray Bursts, Sol. Phys., 1985, vol. 100, p. 465. CrossRef
- Guzman, A.B., Kudryavtsev, I.V., and Charikov, Yu.E. The Evolution of Electrons Accelerated in Solar and Stellar Flares and the Pulsed Structure of Hard X-ray Radiation, Astron. Zh., 1996, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 273–279 [Astron. Rep. (Engl. Transl.), 1996, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 246–251].
- Kahler, S.W., Cliver, E.W., Kane, S.R., et al., Filament Eruptions and the Impulsive Phase of Solar Flares, Astrophys. J., 1988, vol. 328, p. 824. CrossRef
- Kahler, S.W., Daibog, E.I., Kurt, V.G., and Stolpovskii, V.G., A Comparison of Nonrelativistic Electron Escape Efficiencies for Solar Flares with and Without Coronal Mass Ejections, Astrophys. J., 1994, vol. 422, p. 394. CrossRef
- Rausariya, R.R. and Tindo, I.P., Measurements of Polarization of Hard X-Ray Radiation of the Sun: the CORONAS-F Project, Kompleksnoe issledovanie Solntsa i solnechno-zemnykh svyazei (Tr. III Mezhdunarod. soveshch. “KORONAS-I” (Kaluga, 1988)) (Complex Study of the Sun and Solar-Terrestrial Relations (Proc. of the III Int. Conf. “CORONAS-I” (Kaluga, 1988))), Leningrad, 1989, pp. 72–79.
- Skrynnikov, Yu.I., Polarization of Hard X-Ray Radiation of a Solar Flare, Tr. Vtorogo ezhegodnogo seminara “Problemy fiziki solnechnykh vspyshek” (Riga, 1983) (Proc. of the Second Annual Seminar “Problems of Solar-Flare Physics” (Riga, 1983)), Moscow, 1985, pp. 162–167.
- Stepanov, V.E., Ed., Solnechnye vspyshki (Solar Flares), Moscow: Nauka, 1982.
- Tindo, I.P., Ivanov, V.D., Mandel’shtamm, S.L., et al., Detection of Polarization of X-Ray Radiation in Solar Flares, Kosm. Issled., 1971, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 116.
- Tindo, I., Ivanov, V., Mandelstam, S., et al., New Measurements of Polarization of X-Ray Solar Flares, Sol. Phys., 1972, vol. 24, p. 429. CrossRef
- Veselovsky, I.S., Panasyuk, M.I., Avdyushin, S.I., et al., Solar and Heliospheric Phenomena in October–November 2003: Causes and Effects, Kosm. Issled., 2004, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 453–508 [Cosmic. Res. (Engl. Transl.), 2004, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 435–488].
- Zhitnik, I.A., Tindo, I.P., and Urnov, A.M., Investigation of Solar X-Ray Radiation in the Lebedev Institute of Physics, Russian Academy of Science, Tr. Fiz. Inst. im. P.N. Lebedeva, Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1989, vol. 195, pp. 3–18.
- Polarization, temporal, and spectral parameters of solar flare hard X-rays as measured by the SPR-N instrument onboard the CORONAS-F satellite
Solar System Research
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 93-103
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Lebedev Institute of Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninskii pr. 53, Moscow, 117924, Russia
- 2. Skobeltsyn Research Institute of Nuclear Physics, Moscow State University, Vorob’evy gory, Moscow, 119899, Russia