Triple hybrids obtained by artificial hybridization of the Russian sturgeon Acipenser gueldenstaedtii with the hybrid of the starred sturgeon A. stellatus and the great sturgeon A. huso (Acipenseridae): The kind of inheritance of some morphological characters and fertility of the parental hybrid form
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Results are described of experimental crossing for obtaining of triple hybrids of the Russian sturgeon Acipenser gueldenstaedtii, the great sturgeon A. huso, and the starred sturgeon A. stellatus and of comparative analysis of some quantitative morphological characters in these hybrids, in the progeny of parental species and of reciprocal hybrids of starred sturgeon and great sturgeon. By most investigated characters, in triple hybrids, the states of the paternal species (Russian sturgeon) are inherited, by some other characters-of great sturgeon-the state of starred sturgeon is not inherited. Therefore, on the basis of external appearance, they may be identified as the hybrid of Russian sturgeon with great sturgeon. The observed segregation by the form of gill rakers into paternal, maternal, or intermediate variants leads to a conclusion of nonmonogenous inheritance of a wide form and a conical form of gill rakers in sturgeons. On the whole, the obtained results clearly demonstrate how, due to effects of matrocliny and partocliny, and different combination of dominant and recessive alleles of the genes determining the diagnostic characters, the hybrid individuals may acquire a different extent of similarity and differences from the parental species. The investigated triple hybrids are an interesting example of mutual leveling of divergent traits in the course of combination of different genomes within limits of one closely related Atlantic group of sturgeons. As a result, a certain averaged habitus is formed which might take place also in case of formation of polyploidy species in the process of evolution.
- E. N. Artyukhin, “On Biogeography and Relationships within the Genus Acipenser,” Sturgeon Quarterly 3(2), 6–8 (1995).
- E. N. Artyukhin, “System of the Genus Acipenser and Geographic Distribution of Sturgeons,” in Abstracts of Papers of the International Conference on Acipenseridae on the Verge of the 21st Century (Astrakhan, 2000), pp. 18–20.
- E. N. Artyukhin, Acipenseridae (Ecology, Geographic Distribution, and Phylogeny) (SPGU, St. Petersburg, 2008) [in Russian].
- A. A. Baranov, “We Select Hybrids,” Rybovodstvo Rybolovstvo, No. 1, 20 (2000).
- L. S. Berg, Fish of Fresh Waterts of the USSR and Adjacent Countries (Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow, 1948), Part 1 [in Russian].
- V. Birstein, “Sturgeon Species and Hybrids: Can Hybrids Produce Caviar?,” Environ. Policy Law 32(5), 210–214 (2002).
- V. J. Birstein, R. Hanner, and R. DeSalle, “Phylogeny of the Acipenseriformes: Cytogenetic and Molecular Approaches,” Environ. Biol. Fish 48, 127–155 (1997). CrossRef
- R. De la Herrán, F. Fontana, M. Lanfredi, et al., “Slow Rates of Evolution and Sequence Homogenization in an Ancient Satellite DNA Family of Sturgeons,” Mol. Biol. Evol. 18(1), 432–436 (2001).
- F. Fontana, L. Congiu, V. A. Mudrak, et al., “Evidence of Hexaploid Karyotype in Shortnose Sturgeon,” Genome 51(2), 113–119 (2008a). CrossRef
- F. Fontana, M. Lanfredi, F. Kirschbaum, et al., “Comparison of Karyotypes of Acipenser oxyrinchus and A. sturio by Chromosome Banding and Fluorescent in Situ Hybridization,” Genetics 132, 281–286 (2008b).
- J. Hol ik, P. B n rescu, and D. Evans, “General Introduction to Fishes,” in The Freshwater Fishes of Europe (AULA-Verlag, Wiesbaden, 1989), Vol. 1, Part 2, pp. 18–147.
- Yu. I. Ilyasov, “Problems of Hybridization in Sturgeon Husbandry,” in Abstracts of Papers of the International Conference on Acipenseridae on the Verge of the 21st Century, Astrakhan (2000), p. 303.
- J. Krieger, A. K. Hett, P. A. Fuerst, et al., “The Molecular Phylogeny of the Order Acipenseriformes Revisited,” J. Appl. Ichthyol. 24(Suppl. 1), 36–45 (2008). CrossRef
- M. L. Krykhtin and V. G. Svirskii, “Endemic Sturgeons of the Amur River: Kaluga, Huso dauricus, and Amur Sturgeon, Acipenser schrenckii,” Environ. Biol. Fish. 48, 231–239 (1997). CrossRef
- V. D. Krylova, “Morphometric Characteristic of the Hybrid of Great Sturgeon Huso huso L. and Starred Sturgeon Acipenser stellatus Pallas,” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 20(6), 875–882 (1980).
- A. Ludwig, “Population Admixtures, Introgression and Hybridization Events,” in Abstracts of the 6th International Symposium on Harmonizing the Relationships between Human Activities and Nature: The Case of Sturgeons, Wuhan, Hubei Province, China (2009), p. 67.
- A. Ludwig, N. Belfiore, C. Pitra, et al., “Genome Duplication Events and Functional Reduction of Ploidy Levels in Sturgeon (Acipenser, Huso, and Scaphirhynchus),” Genetics 158, 1203–1215 (2001).
- A. Ludwig, S. Lippold, L. Debus, and R. Reinartz, “First Evidence of Hybridization between Endangered Sterlets (Acipenser ruthenus) and Exotic Siberian Sturgeons (Acipenser baerii) in the Danube River,” Biol. Invasions 11, 753–760 (2009). CrossRef
- G. V. Nikolsky, Fish of the Amur Basin (Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow, 1956) [in Russian].
- N. I. Nikolyukin, Remote Hybridization of Acipenseridae and Bony Fish (Pishch. Prom-st’, Moscow, 1972) [in Russian].
- M. I. Pirogovskii, L. I. Sokolov, and V. P. Vasil’ev, “Huso huso (Linnaeus, 1758),” in The Freshwater Fishes of Europe, Ed. by J. Holčik (AULA-Verlag, Wiesbaden,1989), Vol. 1, Part 2, pp. 156–200.
- S. B. Podushka, “Danger of Uncontrolled Hybridization in Sturgeon Husbandry,” in Abstracts of Papers of the 1st Scientific and Practical Conference on Problems of Modern Commercial Sturgeon Husbandry, Astrakhan (1999), p. 140.
- E. I. Rachek and V. G. Svirskii, “Production Characteristic of Hybrid Form of Acipenserids at Cultivation in the Commercial Warm-Water Farm of Primorye,” in Lectures in Memory of V.Ya. Levanidov, No. 4, 398–405 (2008).
- S. Rastorguev, N. Mugue, A. Volkov, and V. Barmintsev, “Complete Mitochondrial DNA Sequence Analysis of Ponto-Caspian Sturgeon Species,” J. Appl. Ichthyol. 24(Suppl. 1), 46–49 (2008). CrossRef
- F. Robles, R. de la Herrán, A. Ludwig, et al., “Genomic Organization and Evolution of the 5S Ribosomal DNA in the Ancient Fish Sturgeon,” Genome 48(1), 18–28 (2005). CrossRef
- T. A. Shubina, A. A. Popova, and V. P. Vasil’ev, “Acipenser stellatus Pallas, 1771,” in The Freshwater Fishes of Europe, Ed. by J. Holčik (AULA-Verlag, Wiesbaden, 1989), Vol. 1, Part 2, pp. 395–443.
- V. I. Skirin and V. G. Svirskii, “Morphological Characteristics of Hybrids at Intergeneric Crossing of Acipenserids of the Genera Huso and Acipenser,” in Lectures in Memory of V.Ya Levanidov, No. 4, 406–413 (2008).
- L. I. Sokolov and L. S. Berdichevskii, “Acipenseridae Bonaparte, 1831,” in The Freshwater Fishes of Europe, Ed. by J. Holčik (AULA-Verlag, Wiesbaden, 1989), Vol. 1, Part 2, pp. 150–153.
- V. K. Soldatov, “Studies of Acipenserids of Amur. Scientific and Commercial Studies in the Far East. Issue 2,” Mater. Poznaniyu Russ. Rybolovstva 3(12), 95–415 (1915).
- V. V. Tyapugin, E. A. Fedoseeva, and S. A. Shcherbatov, “Results of Crossing of Russian Sturgeon Female with Hybrid Male of “Russian Sturgeon x Spiny Sturgeon,” in Materials of the International Scientific and Practical Conference on Problems of Study, Conservation, and Recovery of Biological Resources in the 21st Century, Astrakhan (2007), pp. 268–270.
- V. P. Vasil’ev, “Karyotypic Differences and Isolating Mechanisms in Fish Evolution,” Zh. Obshch. Biol. 40(4), 623–627 (1979).
- V. P. Vasil’ev, E. D. Vasil’eva, S. V. Shed’ko, and G. V. Novomodnyi, “Karyotypes of Kaluga Huso dauricus and Sakhalin Sturgeon Acipenser mikadoi (Acipenseridae, Pisces),” in Materials of the Accounting Conference of the RAS on Biodiversity and Dynamics of Gene Pools (Moscow, 2008), pp. 19–21 [in Russian].
- V. P. Vasil’ev, E. D. Vasil’eva, S. V. Shed’ko, and G. V. Novomodnyi, “Level of Ploidy of Kaluga Huso dauricus and Sakhalin Sturgeon Acipenser mikadoi (Acipenseridae, Pisces),” Dokl. Akad. Nauk 426(2), 275–278 (2009).
- V. P. Vasil’ev, “Polyploidization by Reticular Speciation in Acipenseriform Evolution: A Working Hypothesis,” J. Appl. Ichthyol. 15, 29–31 (1999). CrossRef
- V. P. Vasil’ev, “Mechanisms of Polyploid Evolution in Fish: Polyploidy in Sturgeons,” in Biology, Conservation and Sustainable Development of Sturgeons. Ser. Fish and Fisheries, Ed. by R. Carmona et al. (Springer, Netherlands, 2009), Vol. 29, pp. 97–117. CrossRef
- E. D. Vasil’eva, A. S. Grunina, and A. V. Rekubratskii, “The Pattern of Manifestation of Some Morphological Characters in Androgenic Nucleo-Cytoplasmatic Hybrids of the Persian Acipenser pericus and Russian A. gueldenstaedtii Sturgeons in the Postlarval Period,” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 41(4), 530–537 (2001) [J. Ichthyol. 41 (6), 454–460 (2001)].
- E. D. Vasil’eva, T. I. Kuga, and M. S. Chebanov, “Pattern of Inheriting of Some Quantitative Morphological Traits in Reciprocal Hybrids of Starred Sturgeon Acipenser stellatus and Great Sturgeon A. huso (Acipens- eridae),” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 50(1), 24–31 (2010).
- E. D. Vasil’eva, “Some Morphological Characteristics of Acipenserid Fishes: Considerations of Their Variability and Utility in Taxonomy,” J. Appl. Ichthyol. 15(4–5), 32–34 (1999). CrossRef
- E. D. Vasil’eva, “Morphological and Morphometric Characters in Sturgeon Taxonomy and Phylogeny,” in Biology, Conservation and Sustainable Development of Sturgeons. Ser. Fish and Fisheries, Ed. by R. Carmona et al. (Springer, Netherlands, 2009), Vol. 29, pp. 51–61. CrossRef
- E. D. Vasil’eva, V. P. Vasil’ev, S. V. Shedko, and G. V. Novomodny, “The Revision of the Validity of Genus Huso (Acipenseridae) Based on Recent Morphological and Genetic Data with Particular Reference to the Kaluga H. dauricus,” J. Ichthyol. 49(10), 861–867 (2009). CrossRef
- B. V. Verigin and A. P. Makeeva, “Hybridization of Carp with Spotted Silver Carp,” Genetika 8(7), 55–64 (1972).
- A. D. Vlasenko, A. V. Pavlov, L. I. Sokolov, and V. P. Vasil’ev, “Acipenser gueldenstaedti Brandt, 1833,” in The Freshwater Fishes of Europe (Aula-Verlag, Wiesbaden, 1989), Vol. 1, Part 2, pp. 294–344.
- Q. Wei, J. He, D. Yang, et al., “Status of Sturgeon Aquaculture and Sturgeon Trade in China: A Review Based on Two Recent Nationwide Surveys,” J. Appl. Ichthyol. 20, 321–332 (2004). CrossRef
- Triple hybrids obtained by artificial hybridization of the Russian sturgeon Acipenser gueldenstaedtii with the hybrid of the starred sturgeon A. stellatus and the great sturgeon A. huso (Acipenseridae): The kind of inheritance of some morphological characters and fertility of the parental hybrid form
Journal of Ichthyology
Volume 50, Issue 8 , pp 605-617
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- inheritance of quantitative characters
- hybrids of sturgeons
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Zoological Museum, Moscow State University, ul. Bolshaya Nikitskaya 6, Moscow, 125000, Russia
- 2. Institute of Ecology and Evolution, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninskii pr. 33, Moscow, 119071, Russia
- 3. Southern Research Center (SRC), Russian Academy of Sciences, Rostov-on-Don, Russia