Two new species of fishes from families Muraenidae (Anguilliformes) and Mugiloididae (Perciformes) from the Waters of Vietnam
- A. M. Prokofiev
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
New species of the genera Gymnothorax (fam. Muraenidae) and Parapercis (fam. Mugiloididae) are described from coastal waters of central Vietnam. G. emmae sp. n. is a common species all along the coast from the Van Phong Bay to the Phan Thiet Bay and differs from other species of this genus in characters of coloration, dentition, and the vertebral formula. P. bicoloripes sp. n. is common in the Phan Thiet Bay and is also know from one specimen from the Nha Trang Bay; from other species of the genus, it differs in coloration and meristic characters.
- E. B. Böhlke and J. E. McCosker, “The Moray Eels of Australia and New Zealand, with the Description of Two New Species,” Rec. Austral. Mus. 53(1), 71–102 (2001). CrossRef
- E. B. Böhlke and J. E. Randall, “A Review of the Moray Eels (Anguilliformes: Muraenidae) of the Hawaiian Islands, with Descriptions of Two New Species,” Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. Phila. 150, 203–278 (2000).
- E. B. Böhlke and D. G. Smith, “Type Catalogue of Indo-Pacific Muraenidae,” J. High Resolut. Chromatogr. Chromatogr. Commun. 152, 89–172 (2002).
- E. B. Böhlke, J. E. McCosker, and D. G. Smith, “Muraenidae,” in FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes. The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Pacific. Vol. 6. Batoid Fishes, Chimaeras, Bony Fishes. Part 1, Ed. by K. E. Carpenter and V. N. Niem (1999), pp. 1643–1657.
- G. E. Cantwell, “A Revision of the Genus Parapercis Family Mugiloididae,” Pacif. Sci. 18(3), 239–280 (1964).
- Fishes of the Marshall and Marianas Islands. Vol. 1. Families from Assymetrontidae through Siganidae, Ed. by L. P. Schultz (U.S. Nat. Mus. Bull., 1953).
- P. Fourmanoir, “Sur Cinq Nouvelles Espèces de Poissons du Vietnam,” Bull. Mus. Nat. Hist. Natur. Sér. 39(2), 267–274 (1967).
- J. W. Johnson, “Two New Species of Parapercis (Perciformes: Pinguipedidae) from North-Eastern Australia, and Rediscovery of Parapercis colemani Randall & Francis, 1993,” Mem. Mus. Victoria 63(1), 47–56 (2006).
- H. P. Nguyen, N. T. Nguyen, P. D. Nguyen, and T. N. N. Do, Checklist of Marine Fishes in Vietnam (Sci. and Techn. Publ. House, Hanoi, 1997), Vol. 4.
- A. M. Prokofiev, “Sandperches (Mugiloididae: Parapercis) of Nha Trang Bay, South China Sea, Vietnam,” J. Ichthyol. 48(10), 876–890 (2008). CrossRef
- A. M. Prokofiev, “Additions to Species Composition of Morays from Nha Trang Bay (the South China Sea, Central Vietnam) (Anguilliformes: Muraenidae),” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 50(1), 42–47 (2010).
- J. E. Randall, “Pinguipedidae (= Parapercisae, Mugiloididae). Sandperches,” in FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes. The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Pacific. Vol. 6. Bony Fishes. Part 4 (Labridae to Latimeriidae), Estuarine Crocodiles, Ed. by K. E. Carpenter and V. Niem (FAO, Rome, 2001), pp. 3501–3510.
- J. E. Randall, “Six New Sandperches of the Genus Parapercis from the Western Pacific, with Description of a Neotype for P. maculata (Bloch & Schneider),” Raffles Bull. Zool. Suppl., No. 19, 159–178 (2008).
- J. E. Randall and M. P. Francis, “Parapercis colemani, a New Pinguipedid Fish from Norfolk Island, South-Western Pacific Ocean,” N.Z. J. Mar. Freshw. Res. 27(2), 209–214 (1993). CrossRef
- J. E. Randall and T. Yamakawa, “Parapercis phenax from Japan and P. banoni from the Southeast Atlantic, New Species of Pinguipedid Fishes Previously Identified as P. roseoviridis,” Zool. Stud. 45(1), 1–10 (2006).
- J. E. Randall, H. Senou, and T. Yoshino, “Three New Pinguipedid Fishes of the Genus Parapercis from Japan,” Bull. Nat. Mus. Natur. Sci. Ser. A (Suppl. 2), 69–84 (2008).
- L. P. Schultz, “Four New Fishes of the Genus Parapercis with Notes on Other Species from the Indo-Pacific Area (Family Mugiloididae),” Proc. U. S. Nat. Mus. 124(3636), 1–16 (1968).
- D. G. Smith and E. B. Böhlke, “A Review of the Indo-Pacific Banded Morays of the Gymnothorax reticularis Group, with Descriptions of Three New Species (Pisces, Anguilliformes, Muraenidae),” Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. Phila. 148, 177–188 (1997).
- Two new species of fishes from families Muraenidae (Anguilliformes) and Mugiloididae (Perciformes) from the Waters of Vietnam
Journal of Ichthyology
Volume 50, Issue 8 , pp 580-589
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- new species
- the South China Sea
- A. M. Prokofiev (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Ecology and Evolution, Russian Academy of Sciences (IPEE RAS), Leninskii pr. 33, Moscow, 119071, Russia