Phylogenetic implications of the some cranial features of the porcupine pufferfish Pshekhadiodon (Tetraodontiformes, Diodontidae) from the Eocene of the Northern Caucasus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The well-preserved skull of the diodontid fish Pshekhadiodon parini Bannikov et Tyler, 1997 from the Eocene of the North Caucasus has plesiomorphic conditions for four character that are apomorphic in all extant taxa, and the family Diodontidae is herein separated into two subfamilies, the Diodontinae for all of the extant taxa and the Pshekhadiodontinae for Pshekhadiodon and very tentatively for the three other Eocene taxa of the family, all from Monte Bolca, Italy.
- A. F. Bannikov and J. C. Tyler, “First Discovery of Porcupine Fishes (Tetraodontiformes) in the Eocene of Northern Caucasus,” Paleontol. Zh., No. 6, 81–85 (1997).
- F. Santini and J. C. Tyler, “A Phylogeny of the Families of Fossil and Extant Tetraodontiform Fishes (Acanthomorpha, Tetraodontiformes), Upper Cretaceous to Recent,” Zool. J. Linn. Soc. 139, 565–617(2003). CrossRef
- J. C. Tyler, “Osteology, Phylogeny, and Higher Classification of the Fishes of the Order Plectognathi (Tetraodontiformes),” NOAA Techn. Rep. NMFS. Circ., No. 434, 1–422 (1980).
- J. C. Tyler and C. Patterson, “The Skull of the Eocene Triodon antiquus (Triodontidae; Tetraodontiformes): Similar to That of the Recent Threetooth Pufferfish T. macropterus,” Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 104(4), 878–891 (1991).
- J. C. Tyler and F. Santini, “Review and Reconstructions of the Tetraodontiform Fishes from the Eocene of Monte Bolca, Italy, with Comments on Related Tertiary Taxa,” Studi Ric. Giacim. Terz. Bolca. Verona 9, 47–119 (2002).
- J. C. Tyler, R. W. Purdy, and K. H. Oliver, “A New Species of Sphoeroides Pufferfish (Teleostei; Tetraodontiformes) with Extensive Hyperostosis from the Pliocene of North Carolina,” Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 105(3), 462–482 (1992).
- Phylogenetic implications of the some cranial features of the porcupine pufferfish Pshekhadiodon (Tetraodontiformes, Diodontidae) from the Eocene of the Northern Caucasus
Journal of Ichthyology
Volume 49, Issue 9 , pp 703-709
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Gorny Luch locality
- north Caucasus (Russia)
- Monte Bolca (Italy)