An analysis of allozyme variation in herring Clupea pallasii from the White and Barents Seas
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An analysis of genetic variation is made according to four allozyme loci of reproductive (spawning) groups of oligovertebrate herring Clupea pallasii collected in various bays of the White Sea and the south-eastern part of the Barents Sea in 1995–2002. The temporal stability of genetic characteristics during several years is shown. The analysis of genetic variation revealed a significant difference between herring from the south-eastern part of the Barents Sea and spring-spawning and summer-spawning herring from inner bays of the White Sea. The analysis of geographic variation of genetic characteristics of spawning aggregations revealed the change in frequencies of alleles of loci LDH-2* and MDH-4* from the north-east to the south-west along the coast.
- K. A. Altukhov, Fish of the White Sea (Nauka, Moscow, 1958) [in Russian].
- K. A. Altukhov, “Biology of Early Stages of Development of Kandalaksha Herring,” in Biology of the White Sea Herring, Issled. Fauny Morei, 16(24), 185–226 (1975a).
- K. A. Altukhov, “Herring of the Solovetskie Islands,” in Studies of Sea Fauna, in Biology of the White Sea Her ring, Issled. Fauny Morei 16(24), 53–92 (1975b).
- K. A. Altukhov and V. M. Erastova, “Comparative Characteristic of the Race of Kandalaksha and Onega Bays,” in Studies of Sea Fauna. Vol. 16(24). Biology of the White Sea Herring, Issled. Fauny Morei 16 (24), 26–37 (1975).
- A. P. Andriashev, Candidate’s Dissertation in Biology (Leningr. Gos. Univ., Leningrad, 1939).
- S. V. Averintsev, “Herrings of the White Sea,” Tr. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr. 2(1), 41–47 (1927).
- S. V. Averintsev, “On Herrings of the White Sea and Their Fishery,” Rybn. Industrializatsiyu Severa, Nos. 2–3, 12–19 (1934).
- L. S. Berg, Freshwater Fishes of Russia, 2nd ed. (Gosizdat, Moscow, 1923), Part 1 [in Russian].
- L. S. Berg, “Fish System,” in Proceedings of the Zoological Institute (Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow, 1940), Vol. 5, Issue 2.
- C. Burkey, Population Structure of Pacific Herring (Clupea harengus pallasi) in Eastern Prince William Sound, Alaska, Masters Th. (Univ. Alaska, Juneau, AL. 1986).
- G. Dahle and A. G. Eriksen, “Spring and Autumn Spawners of Herring Clupea harengus in the North Sea. Skagerrak and Kattegat; Population Genetic Analysis,” Fish. Res. 9, 131–141 (1990). CrossRef
- K. M. Deryugin, “Fauna of the White Sea and Its Habitat Conditions,” Issled. Fauny Morei, Nos. 7–8, 510 (1928).
- K. M. Deryugin, “Fauna of the White Sea and Conditions of Its Origin,” Priroda, No. 9, 17–28 (1929).
- N. A. Dmitriev, Biology and Fishery of Herring in the White Sea (Pishchepromizdat, Moscow, 1946) [in Russian].
- L. A. Dushkina, “Pigmentation of Marine Herrings of the Genus Clupea as One of Possible Indices of Their Origin,” in Biology of the White Sea Herring, Issled. Fauny Morei 16(24), 227–254 (1975).
- H. C. Eilertsen and J. Skardhamar, “Temperatures of North Norwegian Fjords and Coastal Waters: Variability, Significance of Local Processes and Air-Sea Heat Exchange,” Estuarine, Coastal Shelf Sci. 67, 530–538 (2006). CrossRef
- W. S. Grant, Biochemical Genetic Variation, Population Structure, and Evolution of Atlantic and Pacific Herring. Ph. D. (Univ. Wash., Seattle, WA, 1981).
- W. S. Grant, “Biochemical Population Genetics of Atlantic Herring Clupea harengus,” Copeia, No. 2, 357–364 (1984).
- W. S. Grant, “Biochemical Genetic Divergence Between Atlantic Clupea harengus and Pacific Clupea pallasi Herring,” Copeia, No. 3, 714–719 (1986).
- W. S. Grant and F. M. Utter, “Biochemical Population Genetic of Pacific Herring (Clupea pallasi),” Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 41, 856–864 (1984). CrossRef
- T. Hotta, T. Matsuishi, H. Sakano, and Y. Kanno, “Population Structure of Pacific Herring Clupea pallasi in the Eastern Hokkaido Waters,” Bull. Jpn. Soc. Sci. Fish. 65(4), 655–660 (1999).
- K. E. Jorstad, “Evidence for Two Highly Differentiated Herring Groups at Goose Bank in the Barents Sea and the Genetic Relationship to Pacific Herring, Clupea pallasi,” Environ. Biol. Fishes 69, 211–221 (2004). Morei 16 (24), 185–226 (1975). CrossRef
- K. E. Jorstad, D. P. F. King, and G. Naevdal, “Population Structure of Atlantic Herring Clupea harengus,” J. Fish. Biol. 39,Suppl. A, 43–52 (1991). CrossRef
- K. E. Jorstad, G. Dahle, and O. I. Paulsen, “Genetic Comparison Between Pacific Herring (Clupea pallasi) and Norwegian Fjord Stock of Atlantic Herring (Clupea harengus),” Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 51(Suppl. 1), 233–239 (1994). CrossRef
- K. E. Jorstad, G. G. Novikov, N. J. Stasenkova, et al., “Intermingling of Herring Stocks in the Barents Sea Area,” in Herring: Expectations for a New Millenium, Alaska Sea Grant Nollege Program, AK-SG-, 01-04 (Fairbanks, 2001), pp. 629–633.
- D. P. F. King, A. Ferguson, and I. Moffett, “Aspects of the Population Genetics of Herring, Clupea harengus, Around the British Isles and the Baltic Sea,” Fish. Res. 6, 35–62 (1987). CrossRef
- T. Kobayashi, “Study on Two Genetically Different Spawning Groups of Pacific Herring (Clupea harengus pallasi Valenciennes) Appearing in Ishikari Bay, Hokkaido,” Bull. Hokkaido Reg. Fish. Res. Lab., No. 48, 11–19 (1983).
- T. Kobayashi, “Biochemical Analyses of Genetic Variability and Divergence of Populations in Pacific Herring,” Bull. Nat. Res. Inst. Far Seas Fish, No. 30, 1–77 (1993).
- I. Kornfield, B. D. Sidell, and P. S. Gagnon, “Stock Definition in Atlantic Herring (Clupea harengus L.): Genetic Evidence for Discrete Fall and Spring Spawning Population,” Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 39, 1610–1621 (1982). CrossRef
- J. Koskiniemi and R. Parmanne, The Genetic Population Structure of the Baltic Herring in the Northern Baltic Sea. ICES Council Meeting Papers, September 1991 (1991).
- Yu. E. Lapin, “General Characteristic of the White Sea Herring,” in Ecology of Fish from the White Sea (Nauka, Moscow, 1978), pp. 37–52.
- Yu. E. Lapin and V. V. Pokhilyuk, “On Spatial Dynamics of Generations of the White Sea Herring Clupea pallasi marisalbi Berg,” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 33(3), 367–371 (1993).
- P. Lewis and R. Whitkus, GENESTAT-PC (Version 2.1) (Dept. Botany, Ohio State Univ., Columbus, Ohio, 1989).
- M. E. Makushok, “On the Range of Murman Herring,” Tr. Gos. Okeanogr. Inst. 1(4), 3–66 (1932).
- Yu. Yu. Marti, “Family Clupeidae,” in Commercial Fish of the White and Barents Seas (Pishchepromizdat, Leningrad, 1952), pp. 42–75.
- F. B. Mukhomediarov, “Ichthyofauna of Chupa Bay,” in Materials on the Integrated Study of the White Sea (Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow, 1963), Vol. 2, pp. 25–42.
- M. Nei, “Analysis of Gene Diversity in Subdivided Populations,” Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 70, 3321–3323 (1973). CrossRef
- M. Nei and R. K. Chesser, “Estimation of Fixation Indices and Gene Diversities,” Ann. Hum. Genet. 47, 583–590 (1983). CrossRef
- G. V. Nikol’sky, Special Ichthyology (Sov. Nauka, Moscow, 1950) [in Russian].
- V. V. Pokhilyuk and E. I. Seliverstova, “Some Data on Atlantic Herring Clupea harengus harenhus in the White Sea in the 1980s,” in Collection of Scientific Papers of the Polar Research Institute of Fish Husbandry and Oceanography on Biology of Fish in Seas of the European North (1988), pp. 55–59.
- A. I. Rabinerson, “Materials on Study of the White Sea Herring,” Tr. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Izucheniyu Severa, No. 25, 34–47 (1925).
- T. S. Rass, “On Systematics of Marine Herrings of the Genus Clupea,” in Ecological Studies of Promising Items of Mariculture in the White Sea (Pishch. Promst’, Leningrad, 1985), pp. 53–56.
- M. Raymond and F. Rousset, “GENEPOP (Version 1.2): Population Genetics Software for Exact Tests and Ecumenicism,” J. Hered. 86, 248–249 (1995).
- D. Riviere, D. Roby, A. C. Horth, et al., “Genetic Structure of Four Populations of Herring of the St. Lawrence Estuary and Chaleurs Bay,” in St. Lawrence Estuary: Oceanographic and Ecological Processes, Nat. Can. 112(1), 105–112 (1985).
- N. U. Ryman, L. Lagercrantz, R. Anderrson, et al., “Lack of Correspondence Between Genetic and Morphologic Variability Patterns in Atlantic Herring (Clupea harengus),” J. Hered. 53, 687–704 (1984). CrossRef
- S. E. Safford and H. Brooke, “Lack of Biochemical and Morfometric Evidence for Discrete Stocks of North-west Atlantic Herring (Clupea harengus harengus),” Fish. Bull. U.S 90, 203–210 (1992).
- J. F. Schweigert and R. E. Withler, “Genetic Differentiation of Pacific Herring Based on Enzyme Electrophoresis and Mitochondrial DNA Analyses,” Amer. Fish. Soc. Symp. 7, 459–469 (1990).
- A. V. Semenova, A. P. Andreeva, A. K. Karpov, et al., “Genetic Variation of Herring of the Genus Clupea from the White Sea,” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 44(2), 207–217 (2004) [J. Ichthyol. 44 (3), 229–238 (2004)].
- I. B. Shaklee, F. W. Allendorf, D. S. Morizot, and G. S. Whitt, “Gene Nomenclature for Protein-Coding Loci in Fish,” Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 119, 2–15 (1990). CrossRef
- P. J. Smith and A. Jamieson, “Stock Discreteness in Herrings: A Conceptual Revolution,” Fish. Res. 4, 223–234 (1986). CrossRef
- P. J. Smith, A. Jamieson, and A. J. Birley, “Electrophoretic Studies and the Stock Concept in Marine Teleosts,” J. Cons. Int. Explore. Mer. 47, 231–245 (1990).
- A. N. Svetovidov, Fauna of the USSR. Fishes. Clupeidae (Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow, 1952), Vol. 2, Issue 1 [in Russian].
- V. M. Tambovtsev, “Herrings of Kandalaksha Bay of the White Sea,” Tr. Polyar. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., No. 14, 95–114 (1962).
- V. M. Tambovtsev, “On Arrivals of Atlantic Herring (Clupea harengus harengus) to the White Sea,” Tr. Polyar. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., No. 17, 223–236 (1966).
- V. M. Tambovtsev, “Specific Features of Distribution, Reproduction, and Stock of the Small Kandalaksha Herring,” in Biology of the White Sea Herring, Issled. Fauny Morei (Nauka: Leningrad), pp. 185–226.
- D. V. Zaykin and A. I. Pudovkin, “Two Programs To Estimate Significance of Chi-Square Values Using Pseudo-Probability Test,” J. Hered. 84, 152 (1993).
- L. A. Zhivotovskii, Population Biometry (Nauka, Moscow, 1991) [in Russian].
- An analysis of allozyme variation in herring Clupea pallasii from the White and Barents Seas
Journal of Ichthyology
Volume 49, Issue 4 , pp 313-330
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- populational genetics of fish
- protein polymorphism
- populational-genetic structure