Osteology of Florenciella lugubris (Percoidei: Epigonidae)
- A. M. Prokofiev
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The osteology of Florenciella lugubris is described. F. lugubris is attributed to the family Epigonidae on the basis of specific characters of structure of orbital bones, skull, jaws and hyoid, presence of three principal spines on operculum, contact of pterygiophores of dorsal fins, 10 + 15 vertebrae, extension of the lateral line onto the caudal fin, structure of the first hemapophysis and interhaemale, caudal skeleton, etc. At the same time, Florenciella is more advanced in comparison with Epigonus having such characters as presence of enlarged, directed to sides and/or forward symphyseal teeth in jaws, of finely and densely denticulatd edges of infraorbitalia 2–8 and of the orbiral edge of frontale, and fontanelle in bulla otica and having specific traits of denticulation of opercular bones, having no separated distal element in the free pterygiophore between the first and second dorsal fins, having modified scales, etc. The related genera Florenciella and Rosenblattia may be synonyms.
- Ahlstrom, E. H., Butler, J. L., Sumida, B. Y. (1976) Pelagic Stromateoid Fishes (Pisces, Perciformes) of the Eastern Pacific: Kinds, Distribution and Early Life Histories and Observations on Five of These from the Northwest Atlantic. Bull. Mar. Sci. 26: pp. 285-402
- Fedoryako, B. I. (1976) Materials on Systematics and Distribution of ‘Oceanic Cheilodipteridae’. Tr. Inst. Okeanol. Akad. Nauk SSSR 104: pp. 156-190
- T. H. Fraser, “Comparative Osteology of the Shallow Water Cardinal Fishes (Perciformes: Apogonidae) with Reference to the Systematics and Evolution of the Family,” Ichthyol. Bull. J.L.B. Smith Inst. Ichthyol., No. 34 (1972).
- G. D. Johnson, “Percoidei: Development and Relationships,” Ontogeny and Systematics of Fishes,″ Am. Soc. Ichthyol. Herpetol. Spec. Publ., No. 1, 464–498 (1984).
- Johnson, G. D. (1993) Percomorph Phylogeny: Progress and Problems. Bull. Mar. Sci. 52: pp. 3-28
- Mead, G. W., Falla, J. E. (1965) New Oceanic Cheilodipterid Fishes from the Indian Ocean. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 134: pp. 261-274
- Prokofiev, A. M. (2006) Morphology of Howella sherborni (Perciformes, Percoidei) with Comparative Remarks on Families Acropomatidae, Epigonidae, and Apogonidae. Sputnik+, Moscow
- Prokofiev, A. M. (2007) Osteology and Some Other Morphological Characters of Howella sherborni with a Discussion of the Systematic Position of the Genus (Perciformes, Percoidei). Vopr. Ikhtiol. 47: pp. 437-450
- A. M. Prokofiev, “Osteology of Bathysphyraenops simplex and Diagnosis of the Family Howellidae Perciformes: Percoidei),” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 47(5).
- Osteology of Florenciella lugubris (Percoidei: Epigonidae)
Journal of Ichthyology
Volume 47, Issue 9 , pp 715-725
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- A. M. Prokofiev (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Ecology and Evolution, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninskii prospect 33, Moscow, 119071, Russia