Synsacrum of a primitive bird from the Upper Cretaceous of Uzbekistan
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A partial synsacrum of a primitive bird from the Zenge Kurgan 3 locality in the Kyzyl Kum Desert (Uzbekistan) is described. The vertebrate fauna from this locality is similar to that of the Bissekty Formation of the Dzharakuduk locality (Central Kyzyl Kum, Uzbekistan); however, this synsacrum differs considerably from all other synsacra from Dzharakuduk. The taxonomic position of this bird remains uncertain; it is most similar to some Enantiornithes, although it could have belonged to a primitive ornithuromorph bird. The functional significance of structural differences in the synsacrum of ornithurine and enantiornithine birds is discussed.
- Alvarenga, H.M.F. and Bonaparte, J.F., A New Flightless Landbird from the Cretaceous of Patagonia, Natur. Hist. Mus. Los Angeles Co., Sci. Ser., 1992, vol. 36, pp. 51–64.
- Averianov, A.O. and Sues, H.-D., A New Troodontid (Dinosauria: Theropoda) from the Cenomanian of Uzbekistan, with a Review of Troodontid Records from the Former Soviet Union, J. Vertebr. Paleontol., 2007, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 87–98. CrossRef
- Chiappe, L.M., Ji, S., Ji, Q., and Norell, M.A., Anatomy and Systematics of the Confuciusornithidae (Theropoda: Aves) from the Late Mesozoic of Northeastern China, Bull. Am. Mus. Natur. Hist., 1999, vol. 242, pp. 1–89.
- Chiappe, L.M. and Walker, C.A., Skeletal Morphology and Systematics of the Cretaceous Euenantiornithes (Ornithothoraces: Enantiornithes), in Mesozoic Birds: Above the Heads of the Dinosaurs, Chiappe, L.M. and Witmer, L.M. Eds., Berkeley: Univ. California Press, 2002, pp. 240–267.
- Kurochkin, E.N., Synopsis of Mesozoic Birds and Early Evolution of Class Aves, Archaeopteryx, 1995, no. 13, pp. 47–66.
- Kurochkin, E.N., Mesozoic Birds of Mongolia and the Former USSR, The Age of Dinosaurs in Russia and Mongolia, Benton, M.J., Shishkin, M.A., Unwin, D.M., and Kurochkin, E.N. Eds. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 2000, pp. 533–559.
- Kurochkin, E.N. and Bogdanovich, I.A., On the Origin of Avian Flight: Compromise and System Approaches, Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Biol., 2008, no. 1, pp. 5–17.
- Malashichev, E.B., The Structure and Development of the Sacropelvic Complex of Amniotes, Tr. SPb. Ob-va Estestvoispyt., Ser. 4, 2006, vol. 88, pp. 1–127.
- Morschhauser, E.M., Varricchio, D.J., Gao, Ch., et al., Anatomy of the Early Cretaceous Bird Rapaxavis pani, a New Species from Liaoning Province, China, J. Vertebr. Paleontol., 2009, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 545–554. CrossRef
- Nessov, L.A., Late Cretaceous Pterosaurs and Bird of Central Asia, Paleontol. Zh., 1984, no. 1, pp. 47–57.
- Nessov, L.A., The First Record of a Late Cretaceous Bird, Ichthyornis in the Old World and Some Other Avian Bones from the Cretaceous and Paleogene of Central Asia, Tr. Zool. Inst. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1986, vol. 147, pp. 31–38.
- Nessov, L.A., New Cretaceous and Paleogene Birds and Conditions in Their Habitats, Tr. Zool. Inst. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1988, vol. 182, pp. 116–123.
- Nessov, L.A., A Small Ichthyornis and Other Avian Bones from the Bissekty Formation (Upper Cretaceous) of Central Kyzyl Kum, Tr. Zool. Inst. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1990, vol. 210, pp. 59–62.
- Nessov, L.A., A Review of Localities with Bird Remains in the Mesozoic and Paleogene of the USSR and Description of New Records, Russ. Ornitol. Zh., 1992a, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 7–50.
- Nessov, L.A., Mesozoic and Paleogene Birds of the USSR and Their Paleoenvironments, Natur. Hist. Mus. Los Angeles Co., Sci. Ser., 1992b, no. 36, pp. 465–478.
- Nessov, L.A. and Borkin, L.Ya., New Records of Avian Bones in the Cretaceous of Mongolia and Central Asia, Tr. Zool. Inst. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1983, vol. 116, pp. 108–109.
- Nessov, L.A. and Panteleev, A.V., On the Similarity between Late Cretaceous Avifaunas of South America and Western Asia, Tr. Zool. Inst. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1993, vol. 252, pp. 84–94.
- Nessov, L.A. and Yarkov, A.A., New Cretaceous-Paleogene Birds of the USSR and Some Remarks on the Origin and Evolution of the Class, Tr. Zool. Inst. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1989, vol. 197, pp. 78–97.
- Norell, M.A., Makovicky, P.J., Bever, G.S., et al., A Review of the Mongolian Cretaceous Dinosaur Saurornithoides (Troodontidae: Theropoda), Am. Mus. Novit., 2009, no. 3654, pp. 1–63.
- Padian, K., Basal Avialae, The Dinosauria, 2nd ed. Weishampel, D.B., Dodson, P., and Osmólska H., Eds., Berkeley: Univ. California Press, 2004, pp. 210–231.
- Panteleev, A.V., A New Species of Enantiornithes (Aves) from the Upper Cretaceous of Central Kyzyl Kum, Russ. Ornitol. Zh., 1998, Sup. no. 35, pp. 3–15.
- Zhou, Zh., Clarke, J.A., and Zhang, F., Insight into Diversity, Body Size and Morphological Evolution from the Largest Early Cretaceous Enantiornithine Bird, J. Anat., 2008, vol. 212, no. 5, pp. 565–577. CrossRef
- Synsacrum of a primitive bird from the Upper Cretaceous of Uzbekistan
Volume 45, Issue 3 , pp 314-319
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- functional morphology
- Upper Cretaceous
- Industry Sectors