On a typical Jurassic sauropterygian from the Upper Triassic of Wilczek Land (Franz Josef Land, Arctic Russia)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new elasmosaurid genus and species, Alexeyisaurus karnoushenkoi, from the Lower-Middle Norian (Wilczek Formation) of the Upper Triassic of the island of Wilczek Land (Franz Josef Land) is described based on an incomplete skeleton. The new form combines characters of typical late plesiosaurs and structural features unique to this form. It is probably the earliest representative of typical late sauropterygians (plesiosaurs).
- M. S. Arkhangelsky, “On Remains of a Sauropterygian from the Upper Triassic Beds of the Archipelago Franz Josef Land,” in Interdepartmental Scientific Conference on Geologic Sciences-2007 (Saratov Gos. Univ, Saratov, 2007), p. 28 [in Russian].
- M. S. Arkhangelsky and A. G. Sennikov, “Subclass Synaptosauria,” in Fossil Vertebrates of Russia and Adjacent Countries: Fossil Reptiles and Birds, Ed. by M. F. Ivakhnenko and E. N. Kurochkin (Geos, Moscow, 2008), Part 1, pp. 224–243 [in Russian].
- K. Carpenter, “A Review of Short-necked Plesiosaurs from the Cretaceous of the Western Interior, North America,” Neues Jahrb. Geol. Paläontol. Abh. 201(2), 259–287 (1996).
- K. Carpenter, “Revision of North American Elasmosaurs from the Cretaceous of the Western Interior,” Paludicola 2(2), 148–173 (1999).
- Y.-N. Cheng, T. Sato, X.-C. Wu, and C. Li, “First Complete Pistosauroid from the Triassic of China,” J. Vertebr. Paleontol. 26(2), 502–504 (2006). CrossRef
- F. M. Dalla Vecchia, “A New Sauropterygian Reptile with Plesiosaurian Affinity from the Late Triassic of Italy,” Riv. Ital. Paleontol. Stratigr. 112(2), 207–225 (2006).
- F. Grossmann, “The Taxonomic and Phylogenetic Position of the Plesiosauroidea from the Lower Jurassic Posidonia Shale of South-west Germany,” Palaeontology 50(3), 545–564 (2007). CrossRef
- E. N. Preobrazhenskaya, M. N. Korchinskaya, T. M. Pchelina, and I. V. Shkola, “Upper Triassic (Franz Josef Land),” Medd. Norsk Polarinst., No. 146, 36–48 (1998).
- H.-D. Sues, “Postcranial Skeleton of Pistosaurus and Interrelationships of the Sauropterygia,” Zool. J. Linn. Soc. 90(2), 109–131 (1987). CrossRef
- S. P. Welles, “Elasmosaurid Plesiosaurs with Descriptions of New Material from California and Colorado,” Mem. Univ. California. 13, 125–254 (1943).
- On a typical Jurassic sauropterygian from the Upper Triassic of Wilczek Land (Franz Josef Land, Arctic Russia)
Volume 44, Issue 5 , pp 567-572
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Upper Triassic
- Wilczek Land
- Arctic Russia
- Industry Sectors