A new species of the pufferfish Eotetraodon (Tetraodontiformes, Tetraodontidae) from the Eocene of the Northern Caucasus
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Eocene pufferfish genus Eotetraodon (Tetraodontidae) has previously been known only on the basis of E. pygmaeus (Zigno, 1887) from the lowermost Middle Eocene of Monte Bolca, Italy. To Eotetraodon we now add E. gornylutshensis sp. nov. from the uppermost Middle Eocene of the Kuma Horizon of the northern Caucasus (Gorny Luch locality). E. gornylutshensis sp. nov. differs from E. pygmaeus by having much longer ribs and one less vertebra in the caudal peduncle.
- A. F. Bannikov, “The Succession of the Tethys Fish Assemblages Exemplified by the Eocene Localities of the Southern Part of the Former USSR,” Kaupia. Darmst. Beitr. Naturgesch. 2, 241–246 (1993)
- A. F. Bannikov, “A New Middle Eocene Marine Percoid (Perciformes, Percoidei) from the Northern Caucasus,” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 42(6), 725–730 (2002) [J. Ichthyol. 42, 695–700 (2002)].
- A. F. Bannikov, “Discovery of a Champsodontid (Pisces, Teleostei, Perciformes) in the Eocene of the Northern Caucasus,” Paleontol. Zh., No. 3, 76–80 (2004) [Paleontol. J. 38 (3), 311–315 (2004)].
- A. F. Banikov and N. N. Parin, “The List of Marine Fishes from the Cenozoic (Upper Paleocene-Middle Miocene) Localities in Southern European Russia and Adjacent Countries,” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 37(2), 149–161 (1997) [J. Ichthyol. 37 (2), 133–146 (1997)].
- A. F. Banikov and J. C. Tyler, “First Discovery of a Porcupinefish (Tetraodontiformes) in the Eocene of the northern Caucasus,” Paleontol. Zh., No. 6, 81–85 (1997) [Paleontol. J. 31 (6), 648–652 (1997)].
- A. F. Banikov and J. C. Tyler, “A New Species of the Luvarid Fish Genus Avitoluvarus (Acanthuroidei, Perciformes) from the Eocene of the Caucasus in Southwest Russia,” Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 114(3), 579–588 (2001).
- A. F. Banikov and J. C. Tyler, “A New Species of the Genus Aulorhamphus (Gasterosteiformes: Aulorhamphidae) from the Eocene of the Caucasus in Southwestern Russia,” Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 119(1), 143–149 (2006). CrossRef
- F. Medizza, “Il nannoplancton calcareo della Pesciara di Bolca (Monti Lessini),” Studi Ric. Giacim. Terz. Bolca. Verona 2, 433–444 (1975).
- C. A. Papazzoni and E. Trevisani, “Facies Analysis, Palaeoenvironmental Reconstruction, and Biostratigraphy of the ‘Pesciara di Bolca’ (Verona, Northern Italy): An Early Eocene Fossil-Lagerstätte,” Palaeogeogr., Palaeoclimatol., Palaeoecol. 242, 21–35 (2006). CrossRef
- J. C. Tyler, “Osteology, Phylogeny, and Higher Classification of the Fishes of the Order Plectognathi (Tetraodontiformes),” NOAA Techn. Rep. NMFS, Circular 434, 1–422 (1980).
- J. C. Tyler and A. F. Bannikov, “New Genus of Primitive Ocean Sunfish with Separate Premaxillae from the Eocene of Southwest Russia (Molidae, Tetraodontiformes),” Copeia, No. 4, 1014–1023 (1992).
- J. C. Tyler and A. F. Bannikov, “A New Genus of Fossil Pufferfish (Tetraodontidae: Tetraodontiformes) Based on a New Species from the Oligocene of Russia and a Referred Species from the Miocene of Ukraine,” Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 107(1), 97–108 (1994).
- J. C. Tyler, M. Mirzaie, and A. Nazemi, “New Genus and Species of Basal Tetraodontoid Puffer Fish from the Oligocene of Iran, Related to the Zignoichthyidae (Tetraodontiformes),” Boll. Mus. Civ. Stor. Natur. Verona. Geol. Paleontol. Preistor. 30, 49–58 (2006).
- J. C. Tyler and F. Santini, “Review and Reconstructions of the Tetraodontiform Fishes from the Eocene of Monte Bolca, Italy, with Comments on Related Tertiary Taxa,” Studi Ric. Giacim. Terz. Bolca. Verona 9, 47–119 (2002).
- A new species of the pufferfish Eotetraodon (Tetraodontiformes, Tetraodontidae) from the Eocene of the Northern Caucasus
Volume 42, Issue 5 , pp 526-530
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- new taxa
- Northern Caucasus
- Industry Sectors