Possible observation of light neutron nuclei in the alpha-particle-induced fission of 238U
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Searches for nuclear-stable multineutrons among products originating from the fission of 238U nuclei that is induced by 62-MeV alpha particles were performed by the activation method. The reaction involving the transfer of four neutrons and occurring on the isotope 88Sr, 88Sr( x n, (x − 4) n)92Sr→92Y, was used to identify nuclear-stable multineutrons. A line at the energy of E = 1384 keV was found in the measured gamma-ray spectra of irradiated samples. This line, together with the measured time dependence of the decrease in its activity, is indicative of the formation of the beta-active nucleus 92Sr. This result was reproduced in repeated measurements. It suggests the possible existence of nuclear-stable multineutrons ( x n) for x ≥ 6. The differential cross section for the x n yield at an angle of 30° in the alpha-particle-induced fission of 238U was about 6 × 10−2 mb/sr.
- A. I. Baz’, V. I. Goldansky, V. Z. Goldberg, and Ya. B. Zeldovich, Light and Intermediate Nuclei near the Border of Nuclear Stability (Nauka, Moscow, 1972) [in Russian].
- S. Fiarman and S. S. Hanna, Nucl. Phys. A 251, 1 (1975). CrossRef
- D. V. Aleksandrov, E. Yu. Nikolsky, B. G. Novatskii, and D. N. Stepanov, JETP Lett. 67, 903 (1998). CrossRef
- J. Cerny, R. B. Weisenmiller, N. A. Jelley, et al., Phys. Lett. B 53, 247 (1974). CrossRef
- J. A. Ungar, R. D. McKeown, D. F. Geesaman, et al., Phys. Lett. B 144, 333 (1984). CrossRef
- D. V. Aleksandrov, Yu. A. Glukhov, E. Yu. Nikolsky, et al., Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 47, 1 (1988).
- F. W. N. de Boer, R. van Dantzig, M. Daum, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 53, 423 (1984). CrossRef
- D. V. Aleksandrov, E. Yu. Nikolsky, B. G. Novatskii, and D. N. Stepanov, Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 52, 593 (1990).
- F. M. Marques, M. Labiche, N. A. Orr, et al., Phys. Rev. C 65, 044006 (2002). CrossRef
- B. Virginie, F. M. Marques, F. Hanappe, et al., in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Exotic Nuclei, Peterhof, Russia, July 5–12, 2004, Ed. by Yu. E. Penionzhkevich and E. A. Cherepanov (World Scientific, Singapore, 2005), p. 29.
- D. V. Aleksandrov, E. Yu. Nikolsky, B. G. Novatskii, et al., JETP Lett. 81, 43 (2005). CrossRef
- A. A. Korsheninnikov, K. Yoshida, D. V. Aleksandrov, et al., Phys. Lett. B 326, 31 (1994). CrossRef
- V. A. Rubchenya, W. H. Trzaska, and E. Vardaci, Int. J. Mod. Phys. E 18, 830 (2009). CrossRef
- Possible observation of light neutron nuclei in the alpha-particle-induced fission of 238U
Volume 96, Issue 5 , pp 280-284
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors