Equation of state and high-pressure irreversible amorphization in Y3Fe5O12
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The change of crystal structure in yttrium iron garnet Y3Fe5O12 was studied at room temperature at high pressures up to ∼55 GPa by the x-ray diffraction technique in diamond anvil cells. At a pressure of about ∼50 GPa, a drastic change in the x-ray diffraction pattern was observed indicating the transition into an amorphouslike state. When the pressure was increased, the bulk modulus of YIG was found to be 193 ± 4 GPa. It was also found that the amorphous state was retained after decompression down to ambient pressure. From the shape of x-ray patterns in the “amorphous” phase, it was concluded that the local atomic structure consists of iron-oxygen FeO6 octahedral complexes with disordered orientations of local axis and of randomly arranged others ion fragments with the overall Y3Fe5O12 composition. For the amorphous phase, it was evaluated that the bulk modulus of FeO6 octahedral complexes is about 260 GPa.
- Kittel, C. (1971) Introduction to Solid State Physics. Wiley, New York
- Neél, L., Pauthenet, R., Dreyfus, B. (1964) Prog. Low Temp. Phys. 4: pp. 344 CrossRef
- Geller, S., Remeika, J. P., Sherwood, R. C. (1965) Phys. Rev. A 137: pp. 1034
- Rodic, D., Mitric, M., Tellgren, R. (1999) J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 191: pp. 137 CrossRef
- Gavriliuk, A. G., Struzhkin, V. V., Lyubutin, I. S. (2005) JETP Lett. 82: pp. 603 CrossRef
- Mott, N. F., Davis, E. A. (1979) Electronic Processes in Non-Crystalline Materials. Clarendon, Oxford
- Gyorgy, E. M., Nassau, K., Eibschutz, M. (1979) J. Appl. Phys. 50: pp. 2883 CrossRef
- Lyubutin, I. S., Gavriliuk, A. G., Trojan, I. A. (2005) JETP Lett. 82: pp. 702 CrossRef
- J. Rosenstingl, E. Irran, C. Hoffmann, et al., PDF-II, No. 43, 0507 (1992).
- Murnaghan, F. D. (1944) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 30: pp. 244 CrossRef
- Birch, F. (1947) Phys. Rev. 71: pp. 809 CrossRef
- F. Sayetat, Thesis (Univ. de Grenoble, 1974) (unpublished).
- Skryshevskiĭ, A. F. (1980) Structural Analysis of Liquids and Amorphous Substances. Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow
- State Standard 13004-77 (1977).
- Hazen, R. M., Finder, L. W. (1982) Comparative Crystal Chemistry. Wiley, New York
- Gavriliuk, A. G., Troyan, I. A., Boehler, R. (2003) JETP Lett. 77: pp. 619 CrossRef
- Gavriliuk, A. G., Trojan, I. A., Lyubutin, I. S. (2005) JETP 100: pp. 688 CrossRef
- Gavriliuk, A. G., Kharlamova, S. A., Lyubutin, I. S. (2004) JETP Lett. 80: pp. 426 CrossRef
- Gavriliuk, A. G., Struzhkin, V. V., Lyubutin, I. S. (2005) JETP Lett. 82: pp. 243 CrossRef
- J. Badro, G. Fiquet, V. V. Struzhkin, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 205504 (2002).
- Equation of state and high-pressure irreversible amorphization in Y3Fe5O12
Volume 83, Issue 1 , pp 37-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- 81.40 Vw
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Geophysical Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 5251 Broad Branch Road NW, Washington, DC, 20015, USA
- 2. Institute for High-Pressure Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Troitsk, Moscow region, 142190, Russia
- 3. Institute of Crystallography, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 119333, Russia
- 4. Max-Planck Institute fur Chemie, 55020, Mainz, Germany