Chemical preparation of samples of dead automobile catalyzers for subsequent determination of platinum, palladium, and rhodium using atomic emission spectrometry with inductively coupled plasma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Systematic studies of different methods for decomposition of samples of dead automobile catalyzers (ACs) on a ceramic base using mixtures of mineral acids and high-temperature alloying with the aim of subsequent determination of platinum, palladium, and rhodium using atomic emission spectrometry with inductively coupled plasma are presented. The behavior of matrix components of dead ACs under the conditions of sample decomposition is investigated. The effect of the results of determining platinum group metals is studied. The relative standard deviation of the results of the analysis performed according to the developed techniques is 11-9% at platinum, palladium, and rhodium concentrations ranging from 0.01 to 0.3%.
- Dubakin, V.A., Zotov, V.S., and Kuznetsov, S.D., Neitralizatsiya otrabotavshikh gazov avtomobil’nykh dvigatelei (Neutralization of exhaust gases of automobile engines), Moscow: Ekomash-KN, 2008.
- Heck, R.M. and Farrauto, R.J., Atomobile Exhaust Catalysts, Appl. Catal., A, 2001, no. 221, pp. 443–457.
- Simpson, L.A., Hearn, R., and Catterick, T., The Development of a High Accuracy Method for the Analysis of Pd, Pt and Rh in Auto Catalysts Using a Multi-Collector ICP-MS, J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 2004, vol. 19, pp. 1244–1251. CrossRef
- Ginzburg, S.I., Ezerskaya, N.A., Prokof’eva, I.V., and Fedorenko, N.V., Analiticheskaya khimiya platinovykh metallov (Analytical Chemistry of Platinum Metals), Moscow: Nauka, 1972.
- Palacios, M.A., Gomez, M.M., Moldovan, M., and Morrison, G., Platinum-Group Elements Quantification in Collected Exhaust Fumes and Studies of Catalyst Surfaces, Sci. Total Environ., 2000, vol. 257, pp. 1–15. CrossRef
- Rao, C.R.M. and Reddy, G.S., Platinum Group Metals (PGM); Occurrence, Use and Recent Trends in Their Determination, Trends Anal. Chem., 2000, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 565–586. CrossRef
- Puig, A.I. and Alvarado, J.I., Evaluation of Four Sample Treatments for Determination of Platinum in Automotive Catalytic Converters by Graphite Furnace Atomic Absorption Spectrometry, Spectrochim. Acta, Part B, 2006, vol. 61, pp. 1050–1053. CrossRef
- Kylander, M.E., Rauch, S., Morrison, G.M., and Andam, K., Impact of Automobile Emissions on the Levels of Platinum and Lead in Accra, Ghana, J. Environ. Monit., 2003, no. 5, pp. 91–95.
- Wayne, D.M., Direct Determination of Trace Noble Metals (Palladium, Platinum and Rhodium) in Automobile Catalysts by Glow Discharge Mass Spectrometry, J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 1997, vol. 12, pp. 1195–1202. CrossRef
- Dal’nova, O.A., Shiryaeva, O.A., Karpov, Yu.A., and Alekseeva, T.Yu., Direct Atomic-Absorption Determination of Platinum, Palladium, and Rhodium in Dead Auto Catalysis on a Ceramic Base, Zavod. Lab., Diagn. Mater., 2009, vol. 75, no. 7, pp. 3–7.
- Malyutina, T.M., Alekseeva, T.Yu., D’yachkova, A.V., Kudryavtseva G.S., Berliner, L.D., and Karpov, Yu.A., Determination of Platinum and Palladium in Dead Catalysts Using the Method of Atomic-Emission Spectrometry with Inductively Coupled Plasma after Sample Decomposition Using High-Temperature Alloying, Zavod. Lab., Diagn. Mater., 2009, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 4–7.
- Chudinov, E.G., Atomno-emissionnyi analiz s induktsionnoi plazmoi. Itogi nauki i tekhniki. Analiticheskaya khimiya (Atomic-Emission Analysis with Inductive Plasma), Moscow: VINITI, 1990, vol. 2.
- OST (Branch Standard) 153-39.2-032-2003: Dead Aluminum—Platinum Monometallic and Polymetallic Catalysts and Catalyst Production Residue, 2003.
- Chemical preparation of samples of dead automobile catalyzers for subsequent determination of platinum, palladium, and rhodium using atomic emission spectrometry with inductively coupled plasma
Volume 48, Issue 14 , pp 1272-1278
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- automobile catalyzers (catalytic converters)
- platinum group metals
- atomic emission spectrometry with inductively coupled plasma
- chemical preparation of samples
- acid decomposition
- Industry Sectors