Millennial reconstruction of the global terrestrial climate: New approaches to the available data
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The main aim of the work was to reliably reconstruct the change in global temperature for the last 1000 years using new methods. We have considered two approaches to obtaining composite series based on symbolic analysis and on the so-called “principle of witnesses,” respectively. Based on the first approach, it has been indicated that the known reconstruction proposed by Moberg et al. is preferable in the scope of the accepted symbolic analysis variant among the available reconstructions. An approach based on the eyewitness principle made it possible to reveal the years when five different reconstructions give coordinated data on a 1000-year scale. The obtained new reconstructions are in good agreement with instrumental series data on the consistent time interval of their existence.
- Briffa, K., Annual Climate Variability in the Holocene: Intepreting the Message of Ancient Trees, Quat. Sci. Rev., 2000, vol. 19, pp. 87–105. CrossRef
- Crowley, T.J., Causes of Climate Change over the Past 1000 Years, Science, 2000, vol. 289, pp. 270–277. CrossRef
- Esper, J., Cook, E.R., and Schweingruber, F.H., Low-Frequency Signals in Long Tree-Ring Chronologies for Reconstructing Past Temperature Variability, Science, 2002, vol. 295, pp. 2250–2253. CrossRef
- Jones, P.D., Briffa, K.R., Barnett, T.P., and Tett, S.F.B., High-Resolution Palaeoclimatic Records for the Last Millennium: Interpretation, Integration and Comparison with General Circulation Model Control-Run Temperatures, The Holocene, 1998, vol. 8, no. (4), pp. 455–471. CrossRef
- Jones, P.D., Lister, D.H., Osborn, T.J., Harpham, C., Salmon, M., and Morice, C.P., Hemispheric and Large-Scale Land-Surface Air Temperature Variations: An Extensive Revision and an Update to 2010, J. Geophys. Res., 2012, vol. 117, p. D05127. CrossRef
- Karimova, L., Kuandykov, Y., Makarenko, N., Novak, M.M., and Helama, S., Fractal and Topological Dynamics for the Analysis of Paleoclimatic Records, Phys. A: Stat. Mech. Appl., 2007, vol. 373, pp. 737–746. CrossRef
- Lemeshko, B.Yu., Gil’debrant, S.Ya., and Postovalov, S.N., To the Estimation of Reliability Parameters Based on Censored Samples, Zavod. Lab., Diagn. Mater., 2001, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 52–64.
- Lovejoy, S., Schertzer, D., and Ladoy, P., Fractal Characterization of Inhomogeneous Geophysical Measuring Networks, Nature, 1986, vol. 319, pp. 43–44. CrossRef
- Makarenko, N.G., Nagovitsyn, Yu.A., Ogurtsov, M.G., and Kruglun, O.A., Gelder Regularity of Paleodata: Solar Activity and Terrestrial Climate, Tr. XI Pulkovskoi konferentsii po fizike Solntsa (Proc. 11th Pulkovo Conference on Solar Physics), St. Petersburg, 2007, pp. 239–240.
- Makarenko, N.G., Nagovitsyn, Yu.A., Karimova, L.M., and Kruglun, O.A., Regional Instrumental Series in Reconstructions of Global Changes in Terrestrial Climate, Tr. XV Pulkovskoi konferentsii Solnechnaya i solnechno-zemnaya fizika (Proc. 15th Pulkovo Conference Solar and Solar-Terrestrial Physics), Stepanov, A.V. and Nagovitsyn, Yu.A, Eds., 2011.
- Mann, M.E., Bradley, R.S., and Hughes, M.K., Northern Hemisphere Temperatures during the Past Millennium: Inferences, Uncertainties, and Limitations, Geophys. Res. Lett., 1999, vol. 26, pp. 759–762. CrossRef
- Moberg, A., Sonechkin, D.M., Holmgren, K., Datsenko, N.M., and Karlen, W., Highly Variable Northern Hemisphere Temperatures Reconstructed from Lowand High-Resolution Proxy Data, Nature, 2005, vol. 433, pp. 613–617. CrossRef
- Monetti, R., Bunk, W., and Jamitzky, F., Characterizing Synchronization in Time Series Using Information Measures Extracted from Symbolic Representations, Phys. Rev. E, 2009, vol. 79, p. 046207. CrossRef
- Nagovitsyn, Yu.A., Ivanov, V.G., Miletsky E.V., and Volobuev D.M., ESAI Data Base and Some Properties of Solar Activity in the Past, Solar Phys., 2004, vol. 224, pp. 103–112. CrossRef
- Roulston, M.S. and Smith, L.A., Combining Dynamical and Statistical Ensembles, Tellus, 2003, vol. 55A, pp. 16–30.
- Vapnik, V.N., Vosstanovlenie zavisimistei po empiricheskim dannym (Reconstruction of Dependences Based on Empirical Data), Moscow: Nauka, 1979.
- Millennial reconstruction of the global terrestrial climate: New approaches to the available data
Geomagnetism and Aeronomy
Volume 52, Issue 7 , pp 953-957
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links