Disturbances of the topside ionosphere caused by typhoons
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The measurements on board the Cosmos-1809 satellite of various parameters of the topside ionosphere plasma during more than ten typhoons in various regions are analyzed. It is shown that specific zones of increased pressure of the electron gas, electric field, and intense ion oscillations are formed during the intensification stage. In some cases the “typhoon eye” is formed over the tropical depression zone in the ionosphere, that is, the region with sharply decreased plasma density and pressure is observed a day and more prior to the moment when it happens in the atmosphere.
- Yu. S. Baryshnikova, G. M. Zaslavsky, E. A. Lupyyan, et al., “Fractal Analysis of the Pre-Hurricane Atmosphere from Satellite Data,” Adv. Space Res. 9(7), 405–408 (1989). CrossRef
- V. M. Chmyrev, N. V. Isaev, S. V. Bilichenko, and G. A. Stanev, “Observation by Space-Borne Detectors of Electric Fields and Hydromagnetic Waves in the Ionosphere over an Earthquake Center,” Phys. Earth Planet. Inter. 57, 110 (1989). CrossRef
- Equipment for Studying the Upper Ionosphere, Ed. by G. V. Vasil’ev and Yu. V. Kushnerevskii (IZMIRAN, Moscow, 1980) [in Russian].
- G. L. Gdalevich, B. N. Gorozhankin, I. S. Kutiev, et al., “Studies of the Equatorial Anomaly of the F Region and Topside Ionosphere Using Spherical Ion Traps,” Kosm. Issled. 11(2), 245–253 (1973).
- A. V. Gurevich, “Nonlinear Phenomena in the Ionosphere,” Usp. Fiz. Nauk 177(11), 1145 (2007). CrossRef
- R. Y. Holzworth, M. S. Kelley, C. L. Siefring, et al., “Electrical Measurements in the Atmosphere and Ionosphere over an Active Storm. 2. Direct Current Electric Fields and Conductivity,” J. Geophys. Res. 90A, 9824–9830 (1985). CrossRef
- N. V. Isaev, G. G. Belyaev, E. P. Trushkina, and V. M. Kostin, “DC Electric Field, ULF-VLF Emissions, Plasma Density in the Ionosphere and Its Response on Natural Hazards and Man-Made Processes,” in Proceedings of AIS-2008 “Atmosphere, Ionosphere, Safety,” Kaliningrad, 2008, pp. 82–83.
- N. V. Isaev, G. L. Gdalevich, N. P. Benkova, V. Gubsky, E. P. Trushkina, E. F. Kozlov, N. I. Samorokin, et al., “Auroral Electric Field Penetration into the Middle-Latitude Trough,” Adv. Space Res. 7(8), 59–63 (1987). CrossRef
- N. V. Isaev, V. M. Sorokin, V. M. Chmyrev, et al., “Disturbance of the Electric Field in the Ionosphere by Sea Storms and Tsunami,” Kosm. Issled. 40(6), 591–597 (2002).
- N. V. Isaev, V. M. Sorokin, V. M. Chmyrev, and O. N. Serebryakova, “Ionospheric Electric Fields Related to Sea Storms and Typhoons,” Geomagn. Aeron. 42(5), 670–675 (2002) [Geomagn. Aeron. 42, 638–643 (2002)].
- N. V. Isaev, V. Sorokin, and V. M. Chmyrev, “Sea Storm Electrodynamic Effects in the Ionosphere,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Seismo-Electromagnetics of NASDA, Tokyo, 2000, p. 42.
- M. S. Kelley, C. L. Siefring, R. F. Pfaff, et al., “Electrical Measurements in the Atmosphere and Ionosphere over an Active Storm. 1. Campaign Overview and Initial Ionospheric Results,” J. Geophys. Res. 90, 9815–9823 (1985). CrossRef
- V. M. Kostin and V. N. Murashev, “Experimental Studies of the Possibilities of the Satellite Monitoring of Underground Nuclear Tests,” in Produced by the Atomic Age, Ed. by A. P. Vasil’ev (SSK MO, Moscow), Part 3, pp. 178–191 (2002) [in Russian].
- Meteorological Effects in the Ionosphere, Ed. by A. D. Danilov et al. (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1987) [in Russian].
- V. V. Migulin, V. I. Larkina, N. G. Sergeeva, and B. V. Senin, “Reflection of Regional Lithospheric Structures in Satellite Observations of Electromagnetic Emissions,“ Dokl. Akad. Nauk 360(6), 814–818 (1998).
- Yu. M. Mikhailov, G. A. Mikhailova, O. V. Kapustina, et al., “Possible Atmospheric Effects in the Lower Ionosphere according to Atmospheric Radio Noise Observations on Kamchatka during Tropical Cyclones,” Geomagn. Aeron. 45(6), 824–839 (2005) [Geomagn. Aeron. 45,778–792 (2005)].
- Yu. M. Mikhailov, G. I. Druzhin, G. A. Mikhailova, and O. V. Kapustina, “Thunderstorm Activity Dynamics during Hurricanes,” Geomagn. Aeron. 46(6), 825–838 (2006) [Geomagn. Aeron. 46, 783–795 (2006)]. CrossRef
- G. A. Mikhailova, Yu. M. Mikhailov, and O. V. Kapustina, “Variations of ULF-VLF Electric Fields in the External Ionosphere over Powerful Typhoons in Pacific Ocean,” Adv. Space Res. 30(11), 2613–2618 (2002). CrossRef
- G. A. Mikhailova, Yu. M. Mikhailov, and O. V. Kapustina, “ULF-VLF Electric Fields in the External Ionosphere over Powerful Typhoons in Pacific Ocean,” Inter. J. Geomagn. Aeron. 2(2), 153–158 (2000).
- R. Raghavarao, S. P. Gupta, R. Sekar, et al., “In Situ Measurements of Winds, Electric Fields and Electron Densities at the Onset of Equatorial Spread F,” J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 49, 485 (1987). CrossRef
- V. M. Sorokin, N. V. Isaev, A. K. Yaschenko, V. M. Chmyrev, and M. Hayakawa, “Strong DC Electric Field in the Low Latitude Ionosphere over Typhoons,” J. Atmos. Solar-Terr. Phys. 67(11), 1269–1279 (2005). CrossRef
- Disturbances of the topside ionosphere caused by typhoons
Geomagnetism and Aeronomy
Volume 50, Issue 2 , pp 243-255
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links